Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

The markets still the market. Brunson is using fred as his baseline for contracts. The next PG to break out is gonna use Brunson and so on.
    But again, you don't compare yourself to perpetual losers and feel good about that. On the contrary, doing a similar deal to the Knicks is a bad sign.

As a side note... I'm taking a victory lap for saying 2 years ago that Jalen Brunson could do what Fred is doing, given the opportunity. And I got royally flamed around here for that. Now everybody is making the Brunson / FVV doppelganger comp.

Brunson has totally validated what I was saying: one of the oldest NBA parlor tricks to inflate an individual player's stats is to turn a 6th man combo guard type into a starter and give him an unlimited green light / high usage with the offense. As long as your coach and teammates buy into it... you're set.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

110 would be 27.5
      $114 is his max.. and Jake said more than $110.

Comment

If they could some how swing Ayton for Gary and Khem I'd be super happy
        Remember Ayton has a BYC contract.. meaning incoming he'd be worth $30M, but to the Suns he'd be worth about $15M (half that). Gary+Khem make too much. Would have to include a 3rd team.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

But again, you don't compare yourself to perpetual losers and feel good about that. On the contrary, doing a similar deal to the Knicks is a bad sign.

As a side note... I'm taking a victory lap for saying 2 years ago that Jalen Brunson could do what Fred is doing, given the opportunity. And I got royally flamed around here for that. Now everybody is making the Brunson / FVV doppelganger comp.

Brunson has totally validated what I was saying: one of the oldest NBA parlor tricks to inflate an individual player's stats is to turn a 6th man combo guard type into a starter and give him an unlimited green light / high usage with the offense. As long as your coach and teammates buy into it... you're set.
          The actual trick is performing well in the playoffs in a contract year. Remember Biyombo and the contract he got?

Comment

• Report says the Pistons are going to sign Marvin Bagley for ~ $10M/yr @ 2 yrs. That's pretty good value for a former #2 overall pick putting up 19pt/9reb per 36, who is still only 23. Why can't we get value deals like that?

Not sure how it will all pan out, but Troy Weaver is doing serious work this off-season.

Comment

What I'm getting at is the players side of this. Player start to compared themselves to others when negotiating. Locking fred in for 4 years at the baseline breakout PG contract is a plus. In 2 years when guys at fred level are getting offered 35 mil we suddenly have a very valuable trade asset
              To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

110 would be 27.5
                Yes, but they aren't going to sign him for 110, the number is in that range because his max extension is 114.2M, which is the only discussion I'd expect the two sides to have.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• It appears the Magic will let Mo Bamba become an unrestricted free agent, writes Khobi Price of The Orlando Sentinel.

A source tells Price that the team isn’t expected to submit a qualifying offer to Bamba before today’s deadline. That would make the fourth-year center unrestricted and take away the Magic’s opportunity to match any offer he receives in free agency.

Comment

• The NBA's salary cap for the 2022-23 season is projected to come in at roughly $123.6 million, sources told ESPN. That is an $11.6 million increase from last year's salary cap figure of $112 million.
                    DanH….you have the baton to educate us what’s next.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Well now you guys had me sold on Gary not being part of the core because we wouldn't be able to afford him and now there is a chance there is? How much can they offer him if signing OG as well?
                      Everything depends on how much everyone gets paid. I posted an article where I went through some common sense numbers I thought made sense for everyone and it can all (just) fit, but if the market is too hot for guys and everyone ends up maxed out, Gary is probably the odd man out.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

What I'm getting at is the players side of this. Player start to compared themselves to others when negotiating. Locking fred in for 4 years at the baseline breakout PG contract is a plus. In 2 years when guys at fred level are getting offered 35 mil we suddenly have a very valuable trade asset
                        Brunson is only a "breakout" because the Knicks are massively over-valuing him. Even after screwing up the 4yr/55.5M extension, the Mavs were convinced that Brunson's market was 4 yrs/88M... tops. Yes, it only takes 2 teams to make a market, but it's now looking like the Knicks were all in on Brunson, and really just bidding against themselves, so that's a sucker's market to use as a comp.

And in the future, if some team wants to throw $35M/yr at Tyus Young in 2-3 years... best of luck to them. That doesn't make FVV a bargain... it's just 2 teams overpaying. I guess you could potentially exploit that new sucker team and trade FVV to them, is what you're saying... so I get what you're saying. However, teams are getting a lot smarter with contracts these days... there's always the Knicks and Kings, but the market for suckers is shrinking.

Comment

Brunson is only a "breakout" because the Knicks are massively over-valuing him. Even after screwing up the 4yr/55.5M extension, the Mavs were convinced that Brunson's market was 4 yrs/88M... tops. Yes, it only takes 2 teams to make a market, but it's now looking like the Knicks were all in on Brunson, and really just bidding against themselves, so that's a sucker's market to use as a comp.

And in the future, if some team wants to throw $35M/yr at Tyus Young in 2-3 years... best of luck to them. That doesn't make FVV a bargain... it's just 2 teams overpaying. I guess you could potentially exploit that new sucker team and trade FVV to them, is what you're saying... so I get what you're saying. However, teams are getting a lot smarter with contracts these days... there's always the Knicks and Kings, but the market for suckers is shrinking.
                          Fred at best is making about 20% of the cap in his new extension. It's pretty reasonable for a potential one-time all-star talent still in his prime. I don't think Brunson's market had anything to do with it either. I think Fred was always due for that extension (basically his max extension).

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

DanH….you have the baton to educate us what’s next.
                            Not much. We already expected 122M, so 123.6M is basically in line with that. Exact minimum and maximum salary, MLE numbers, room to the cap and tax will change slightly but no stories really change in terms of what teams can do functionally.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                              It appears the Magic will let Mo Bamba become an unrestricted free agent, writes Khobi Price of The Orlando Sentinel.

A source tells Price that the team isn’t expected to submit a qualifying offer to Bamba before today’s deadline. That would make the fourth-year center unrestricted and take away the Magic’s opportunity to match any offer he receives in free agency.
                              I think he fits the Raptor allure but we really need a backup combo guard. I'd only take a chance at Bamba if Boucher ends up leaving. Otherwise it doesn't really make sense to add yet another forward/center to the rotation.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Fred at best is making about 20% of the cap in his new extension. It's pretty reasonable for a potential one-time all-star talent still in his prime. I don't think Brunson's market had anything to do with it either. I think Fred was always due for that extension (basically his max extension).
                                Yeah. That's a roughly 50th league wide salary based on last season and percentage of cap. And guys into their prime are always the highest paid guys, so he's lower value than a rookie scale or rookie scale extension guy would be, and about half the league is on those sorts of deals. Means he pretty much just has to be a top 100 player or so to be OK on contract value given his FA and experience status, and better than that would be gravy (and I'd expect better than that). So absolutely nothing to complain about with that extension.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X