Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Its usually disorganized anywhere a superstar decides to go over management head and create his own superteam with his buddies. Didn't work for Kawhi in L.A, didn't work for KD in Brooklyn, Didn't work with Lebron adding Westbrook in the offseason. This is why a deal that makes the best sense for the Raptors is a must where they don't sacrifice too many pieces.

OG+Trent+Khem+Flynn +4 first round picks (2029 pick top 5 protected).

It aint really cheap but it ain't as expensive as they would like it to be.

If Nets can find something better than the above package from another team, they should pursue that.
    The Nets made a bunch of mistakes in how they handled things. Are you saying they're managed and coached close to the Raptors and that its all because of an unmanageable situation that things look so bad? I'll refer you to the last championship Celtics team.

People here and people in the media have described trades where they don't have to give up too many win-now pieces. The Raptors have all their picks and cap-friendly contracts that create flexibility. This is why they seem like the frontrunners by most reports. Also, with Durant on board its going to be easier to add some vet-minimum, cap-friendly pieces to round things out.
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jul 6, 2022, 02:09 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Warriors can't make a deal without a 3rd team, Wiggins can't be included because he's on a 5 year rookie max.

And I totally agree with you on this being a gigantic move. Pretty crazy to me how some people round these parts don't value KD very highly.
      Well, when Kawhi got traded here there were people against that also. Some people are very risk-averse. Maybe they are thinking back to when Hakeem came here but this is very different. He was 39 years old and four or five years removed from his last superstar-level season. Plus, Durant's game is the sort that isn't as impacted by age. I think he will age like wine.

Comment

• Masai and Bobby value their picks highly, they hardly ever want to part with them. Their draft scouts are highly intelligent at finding a diamond in most drafts, regardless of their positioning.

In my opinion, unless Durant was 29 yrs old or younger, the 4 first rounders in any deal would make sense.

But I can't see our GM giving up more than Trent+OG+2 first rounders for a 33 yr old injury prone Durant as that might end up feeling more like a lateral move if he can't stay healthy.

Comment

• Reyaz123 wrote: View Post
          Masai and Bobby value their picks highly, they hardly ever want to part with them. Their draft scouts are highly intelligent at finding a diamond in most drafts, regardless of their positioning.

In my opinion, unless Durant was 29 yrs old or younger, the 4 first rounders in any deal would make sense.

But I can't see our GM giving up more than Trent+OG+2 first rounders for a 33 yr old injury prone Durant as that might end up feeling more like a lateral move if he can't stay healthy.
          Durant is less injury prone than OG. Just saying.

Comment

• my sentiments in someone's tweet:

Comment

• Agree. But worse than lateral if he doesn’t stay healthy

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Well, when Kawhi got traded here there were people against that also. Some people are very risk-averse. Maybe they are thinking back to when Hakeem came here but this is very different. He was 39 years old and four or five years removed from his last superstar-level season. Plus, Durant's game is the sort that isn't as impacted by age. I think he will age like wine.
                there are levels to this though. KD will age well ... but he needs help you cannot gut your team and you cannot trade your future more than the draft picks. Scottie provides not only a pivot point but also provides a meaningful way to rebuild.

Comment

• Offseason side note, raptors need a uni refresh. The black chevron on red is one of the ugliest ever. Opposite colour one isnt much better

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                    Offseason side note, raptors need a uni refresh. The black chevron on red is one of the ugliest ever. Opposite colour one isnt much better
                    I want to explore more with the purple or more with blue

Comment

• Reyaz123 wrote: View Post
                      Masai and Bobby value their picks highly, they hardly ever want to part with them. Their draft scouts are highly intelligent at finding a diamond in most drafts, regardless of their positioning.

Masai seems to treat picks like everything else.
                      • In '17, at the trade deadline, he traded a 1st & two 2nds to acquire Serge & Tucker. Then the same year in the summer he cap dumped Carroll by adding in a 1st & a 2nd.
                      • The next summer he packaged DD, along with a high lotto pick player, plus a 1st pick to get Kawhi. Then at the deadline, he traded a 2nd round pick in order to cap dump Monroe to the Nets. The same day he included another 2nd rounder in the trade to land Gasol.
                      • This year they included their 1st rounder to get Thad.

The bottom line is he trades picks when it facilitates what he's out to accomplish. If they're trading for KD its about winning now and so those late first round picks and trash end of the second round picks won't matter as much.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

there are levels to this though. KD will age well ... but he needs help you cannot gut your team and you cannot trade your future more than the draft picks. Scottie provides not only a pivot point but also provides a meaningful way to rebuild.
                        Is anyone saying they want Masai to gut the team to land Durant?

Comment

• GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post

Figured it wasn’t very realistic

Comment

not exactly but my point was this isn't like past situations. Not sure this management team will be worried because of past situations like Hakeem. this is definitely different.

Comment

Yeah, the Nets are saying that.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

not exactly but my point was this isn't like past situations. Not sure this management team will be worried because of past situations like Hakeem. this is definitely different.
                                I was referring to fans in here, not Masai Ujiri.

Comment

Working...
                                X