No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They have a few players they could move quickly to get under the tax. It may have pissed Ayton off, but the Suns did the right thing and saved them selves cash.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

And teams are perhaps hesitant because of his age and recent injury history, which is something the media seems to be conveniently ignoring. And it matters.
      Absolutely because of his age. If he was 25 you have time to build a team around him. At 34 not so much.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Gobert didn't set the market. The Wolves overpaid. Its why KD hasn't been traded yet. Nets have a high asking price, teams aren't willing to go that high.
        Soooo, doesn’t that mean the asking prices have now been set higher because of the Gobert trade?

if the Knicks follow suit with a 4+ first round pick offer, + other assets, that could be the new bar moving forward.

I agree with JawsGT the repercussions of these 7 years worth of draft equity trades are going to be interesting. We’ve already witnessed it with Brooklyn, Minny won’t have the next Durant and Kyrie knocking on their door.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Absolutely because of his age. If he was 25 you have time to build a team around him. At 34 not so much.
          The team that ends up paying that price will regret it… and there will be one team that will.

Comment

• All this by the Suns so Sarver could save a few million per season

And if they plan to keep Ayton past this contract it’ll just cost them even more long term

Insanely pathetic ownership, I’d be fuming as a fan

Comment

• On a 31M starting salary, the 3% per year raise that they saved is 930k.

Over a four year deal, that's 1.4M per year on average they saved.

Not what I'd want to see from our front office!
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• let the record show that i want nothing to do with donovan mitchell re: all that talk a few pages back, even if it only costs GTJ and picks.

it's real hard to win at a high level with that kind of player (small ball dominant one way player), and he doesn't fit the raptors profile at all. have been saying for years now but i'll take a FVV type at his contract that plays both ends at a B+ to A- level over the mitchell/lillard/beal types who play one end at an A to A+ level and the other at a D of F, especially for that they get paid

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

Soooo, doesn’t that mean the asking prices have now been set higher because of the Gobert trade?

if the Knicks follow suit with a 4+ first round pick offer, + other assets, that could be the new bar moving forward.

I agree with JawsGT the repercussions of these 7 years worth of draft equity trades are going to be interesting. We’ve already witnessed it with Brooklyn, Minny won’t have the next Durant and Kyrie knocking on their door.
                  The asking price has gone up, but I meant that I don't think teams are willing to go that high to trade for him, so eventually the Nets will have to lower their asking price.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

The Suns best offer now becomes Bridges, Cam Johnson, Saric's expiring, and a pile of picks. Which to me is a significantly lesser offer than the OG/Trent/picks or FVV/Trent/picks versions of the Raptors offers. Certainly tilts the floor in our favour.
                    Ok, now that this Ayton stuff is figured out…

Your post above saying the Raps can beat this assumes that we’re willing to give the same pick equity as Phoenix, which… I don’t personally predict will likely end up being the case.

I have a really tough time seeing Masai/Bobby giving up 4 picks and 3 swaps… just doesn’t seem like a superb situation to put the franchise in for a 34 year old KD who’ll be on the decline in the near future. We’ve got a lot going for us as is… and I’m not sure the pressure is there for that…

Meanwhile, I think Phoenix on the other hand isn’t as well managed, and will be more susceptible to being squeezed for every pick they’ve got.

If I’m Phoenix, at this stage, now that Ayton is back… I’m thinking, ok fine. Take Bridges, Johnson, one of Crowder or Lamet, and all the picks we can give you. Put CP3, Book, Ayton with KD, and hope it pushes you over the top. Their squad has been close enough to getting over the hump, (see Demar and Kyle) and hasn’t gotten it done. They’re in a position where they need to take a huge swing like this.

I’m just not sure, with where we’re at in our cycle, that we need to do this trade to the same degree, and as such, I’m not convinced we rise up to meet the insane boatload of picks…

I feel like that could end up being the difference.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Ok, now that this Ayton stuff is figured out…

Your post above saying the Raps can beat this assumes that we’re willing to give the same pick equity as Phoenix, which… I don’t personally predict will likely end up being the case.

I have a really tough time seeing Masai/Bobby giving up 4 picks and 3 swaps… just doesn’t seem like a superb situation to put the franchise in for a 34 year old KD who’ll be on the decline in the near future. We’ve got a lot going for us as is… and I’m not sure the pressure is there for that…

Meanwhile, I think Phoenix on the other hand isn’t as well managed, and will be more susceptible to being squeezed for every pick they’ve got.

If I’m Phoenix, at this stage, now that Ayton is back… I’m thinking, ok fine. Take Bridges, Johnson, one of Crowder or Lamet, and all the picks we can give you. Put CP3, Book, Ayton with KD, and hope it pushes you over the top. Their squad has been close enough to getting over the hump, (see Demar and Kyle) and hasn’t gotten it done. They’re in a position where they need to take a huge swing like this.

I’m just not sure, with where we’re at in our cycle, that we need to do this trade to the same degree, and as such, I’m not convinced we rise up to meet the insane boatload of picks…

I feel like that could end up being the difference.
                      Hmm, I agree, if the Raptors won't send a real pick package then they don't have a real offer on the table.

I doubt that is the case.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I’m with Goldblum. While it would be nice to
                        have Durant, our team isn’t ready yet.

We got Kawhi for relatively cheap considering what’s being floated out their for Durant (and every other superstar in the last 3 years) but our team had a ton of depth to make that trade. We’re still trying to get 10 legit rotation guys at this point, we don’t have the depth to trade for a Superstar and still have the rotation players to support that guy, or even make the Gasol trade further on down the line. In one or two years, I’m sure we will.

It would be nice to compete for a championship every year, but it’s just not feasible. We struck out on Kawhi which would have extended that cycle, but at least we have been competitive for the last 3 years (minus Tampa). The team we have now is at least building towards championship, there’s a clear vision and they’re fun to watch. What more could you ask for?

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                          I’m with Goldblum. While it would be nice to
                          have Durant, our team isn’t ready yet.

We got Kawhi for relatively cheap considering what’s being floated out their for Durant (and every other superstar in the last 3 years) but our team had a ton of depth to make that trade. We’re still trying to get 10 legit rotation guys at this point, we don’t have the depth to trade for a Superstar and still have the rotation players to support that guy, or even make the Gasol trade further on down the line. In one or two years, I’m sure we will.

It would be nice to compete for a championship every year, but it’s just not feasible. We struck out on Kawhi which would have extended that cycle, but at least we have been competitive for the last 3 years (minus Tampa). The team we have now is at least building towards championship, there’s a clear vision and they’re fun to watch. What more could you ask for?
                          I guess one answer would be... Kevin Durant.

No guarantee they do it, but I disagree with the logic presented here not to.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The conundrum for the Suns is that the lakers and Clippers were going to dominate for years and yet, a single season later, both buddy-up teams may be failed experiments. The window is open in the West.

For the Raptors, Durant would make us super competitive with the Celtics and Bucks but not clear favourites depending on the outgoing package and Durant's ongoing health. I'd hate giving up 3-4-5 firsts personally.

Comment

• Well nobody is going to give up the type of package the Nets are asking for a 34 year old KD (Vivek Ranadive "hold my beer), and I haven't even heard of what's been offered for a Kyrie trade. At some point Marks says to Tsai, we can't put a contending team out there and we need to pivot from trying to win a championship to either a rebuild or just a competitive team with young prospects (Indiana or Charlotte).

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                                The conundrum for the Suns is that the lakers and Clippers were going to dominate for years and yet, a single season later, both buddy-up teams may be failed experiments. The window is open in the West.

For the Raptors, Durant would make us super competitive with the Celtics and Bucks but not clear favourites depending on the outgoing package and Durant's ongoing health. I'd hate giving up 3-4-5 firsts personally.
                                Depends on what we give up. If its OG and Trent, you have to add more picks. If its Fred and OG, you trade a pick or 2 less.

With or without KD, how the good the Raptors will be will depend on Precious' and especially Scottie's developmental growth. Considering I thought Scottie would have come off the bench and averaged around 9 PPG as a rookie, I'm not gonna put limitations on what he could do next season.

Comment

Working...
                                X