No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Malachi Flynn played 2 G League games last year.

Here are his stats

37 mpg,
    0.317 FG,
    0.280 3PT,
    4.5 reb
    4.5 ast
    5 TO
    21.5 pts
    20.5 FGA
    0.493 TS%

That is the G League, a far step below the NBA, and he freaking sucked. Who gives a shit what he did in this YMCA esque league. He's just not very good.

Comment

• He doesn’t really have a chance to do well here with the way we play. We have our best players initiating the offence as opposing to shoehorning the “point guard” into doing it which means he doesn’t touch the ball nearly as much

Meaning he has to earn minutes by defending (which he isn’t good at) and hitting open shots (which he hasn’t done)

Best to just cut ties and give him an opportunity elsewhere

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
        Malachi Flynn played 2 G League games last year.

Here are his stats

37 mpg,
        0.317 FG,
        0.280 3PT,
        4.5 reb
        4.5 ast
        5 TO
        21.5 pts
        20.5 FGA
        0.493 TS%

That is the G League, a far step below the NBA, and he freaking sucked. Who gives a shit what he did in this YMCA esque league. He's just not very good.
        His numbers were good during the two week run with solid minutes he got with the raptors 3/4 of the way into the season

Comment

• Malachi during the four game stretch with good minutes..16/4/6 54%fg 51% from 3. I dont care how much cumulative minutes a guy gets when they’re sporadic af. Regular minutes for multiple games in a row is better. Thats just a four game stretch but im sure hed be ok with steady minutes. Capable back up imo

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
            Malachi during the four game stretch with good minutes..16/4/6 54%fg 51% from 3. I dont care how much cumulative minutes a guy gets when they’re sporadic af. Regular minutes for multiple games in a row is better. Thats just a four game stretch but im sure hed be ok with steady minutes. Capable back up imo
            Sadly, Banton fits much better in the Raps system, so if they are looking for 10th/11th man it will be Banton over Flynn. With Previous/Boucher/Porter/Young and maybe Birch, there aren’t going to be regular minutes for multiple games in a row for Flynn. He needs a different team.

Comment

Malachi during the four game stretch with good minutes..16/4/6 54%fg 51% from 3. I dont care how much cumulative minutes a guy gets when they’re sporadic af. Regular minutes for multiple games in a row is better. Thats just a four game stretch but im sure hed be ok with steady minutes. Capable back up imo
              Banton is a beast in the G League. Why does Flynn suck there when given as much minutes as possible?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Banton is a beast in the G League. Why does Flynn suck there when given as much minutes as possible?
                This strong an argument on a two game sample? Really?

twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I think Flynn is actually a decent defender, he did a great job stepping into a role on that end in the Philly series when we were short.

It's the shooting that has to come around if he's going to get consistent minutes.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    I think Flynn is actually a decent defender, he did a great job stepping into a role on that end in the Philly series when we were short.

It's the shooting that has to come around if he's going to get consistent minutes.
                    its definitely the shooting

but defensively he isn't great either... what metric demonstrates he has been average defensively? beyond deflections

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

but defensively he isn't great either... what metric demonstrates he has been average defensively? beyond deflections
                      There's no real sample for any metric to have real meaning. He's played sporadic minutes interspersed with garbage time and injury riddled lineups.

It's just a qualitative judgment with a guy like Flynn, until he gets more meaningful run. Heck, defensive stats are suspect even with guys who have a huge sample, with lower minutes guys they are basically meaningless.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Metric? Watch him

Comment

• From what ive seen hes a really good defender ..with some physical limitations

Comment

Metric? Watch him
                            ....he is an ok defender he is not a "really good defender" I would take him over GTJ defensively and yes... the metrics support these things.

Comment

There's no real sample for any metric to have real meaning. He's played sporadic minutes interspersed with garbage time and injury riddled lineups.

It's just a qualitative judgment with a guy like Flynn, until he gets more meaningful run. Heck, defensive stats are suspect even with guys who have a huge sample, with lower minutes guys they are basically meaningless.
                              Yes and no... there are guys with low sample sizes that still have shown themselves to have amazing defensive potential... I mean Yuta was a great defender just didn't offer a ton else last year.... and even in limited run YES the metrics supported this fact as well as the eye test. If you can even point me in the direction of a few plays that I can see.

Look not saying flynn is trash but I am not grading him on a curve either.

Comment

This strong an argument on a two game sample? Really?
                                It's very concerning to me when a player sucks in the G League. That almost universally means they won't be good in the NBA.

Comment

Working...
                                X