Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Other than shooting, Fred isn't the guy you emulate as a playmaker... especially if you want to generate rim pressure and easy baskets for your big men. Fred is all about that drive & kick to the perimeter. Zero rim pressure and zero chemistry with rolling bigs.

The reason Banton jumped over Flynn in the rotation was 100% because of style-of-play. Nurse wants his players to grab the rebound, put their head down and sprint to the basket aggressively for the layup... hell or high water. It's all aggression... all the time. North-South basketball.

Banton was following the coaching mandate to a 'T', at the beginning of last season. Then, the scouting report got out and they stopped him in transition, and to make it worse... teams went zone as soon as he entered the game to exploit Banton's zero-level shooting ability.

That's completely the opposite of how Flynn plays (deliberate, probing, east-west, getting picks & re-picks)... more like a CP3. He would need a system/scheme built around him and time to develop chemistry with his teammates. That's not gonna happen as the bench guard. They should trade Flynn to Phoenix. Instead, they told him to change his game.
    Absolutely, Banton just fits the style Nurse wants to play due to his physical profile and pushing the offense. However, Flynn is a lot closer in skill to FVV than Banton and I don't think Banton is about to leap frog FVV any time soon.

That's why I was pointing out that if Flynn is confused about what he needs to do to get consistent play time as a small guard on this team, he just needs to look at how FVV fits. Skill wise they are similar, but the thing that stands out the most is Fred plays physically on D and works hard on that end. Flynn hasn't show that yet and absolutely needs to be more feisty on defense to get on the floor. If he continues to be a wall flower he has no hope and yeah a trade is probably what's best for both sides.

As far as his offense goes I think it can work well with the Raptors offense as long as he can hit shots. We're a forward-centric (if that makes sense) team now with Siakam and Barnes initiating a lot of the offense. We need shooters around them which Banton is not.

I don't think Flynn is completely out of the running as the back up PG but he's got to show something this season.

Comment

lmao. We're going to do a deep dive on a Pro-Am game? Half of Flynn's 3's were from the logo. lol. The buzzer beater, was literally the logo (half-court).
      I think the best thing would be to ignore that game entirely. It's the slow part of the offseason though so here we are.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

I think the best thing would be to ignore that game entirely. It's the slow part of the offseason though so here we are.
        Agreed.

73 point game going somewhat viral (at least in Raptor-land), I noted the shooting splits just to suggest pumping the breaks just a touch…

Ultimately, great for him that he had a good game. Not ultimately indicative of much, one way or another.

Hopefully he comes to camp having grown enough in the off-season to be ready to be a meaningful contributor this year.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Agreed.

73 point game going somewhat viral (at least in Raptor-land), I noted the shooting splits just to suggest pumping the breaks just a touch…

Ultimately, great for him that he had a good game. Not ultimately indicative of much, one way or another.

Hopefully he comes to camp having grown enough in the off-season to be ready to be a meaningful contributor this year.
          Here is a link to the rosters at the Crawsover Pro-Am. https://www.instagram.com/p/CgHgcU7ruk3/?hl=en

Flynn put up those numbers against the PNW Rain.

Take a gander who is on that team and let me know if you've ever heard of any of them.

It seems they list the players in order of how good they are the top guy on the Rain was Tyler Amaya.

He is 39 years old, played DII college ball at Western Washington University from 2004-06. He doesn't play pro anywhere, this Crawsover is the only playing he does anymore, he teaches young kids basketball in Washington.

That's the top guy on the other team.

So yeah, we really shouldn't be looking at this game as a sign of anything.

Comment

• If he didn’t get consistent run last season then he’ll almost certainly never get legit run

I don’t think Flynn is trash or anything but his game doesn’t suit our play style whatsoever and he isn’t nearly good enough to change that play style for him. Time to move on while he still has some value

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Pascal was a super raw project, Flynn wasn't, he played ball his whole life and did 4 years of college. Context matters. Pascal still put up better G League stats than Flynn by a country mile.
              Pascal put up way better G-League stats literally the same season as those two games. That's not development from a raw player. That's "two games is a frankly ridiculous data set to try to make a point from."

There are plenty of reasons to be doubtful Flynn can be good. Heck, I doubt he ever amounts to anything.

Two games in the G-League are not the reason for that doubt though. That's just silly.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Absolutely, Banton just fits the style Nurse wants to play due to his physical profile and pushing the offense. However, Flynn is a lot closer in skill to FVV than Banton and I don't think Banton is about to leap frog FVV any time soon.

That's why I was pointing out that if Flynn is confused about what he needs to do to get consistent play time as a small guard on this team, he just needs to look at how FVV fits. Skill wise they are similar, but the thing that stands out the most is Fred plays physically on D and works hard on that end. Flynn hasn't show that yet and absolutely needs to be more feisty on defense to get on the floor. If he continues to be a wall flower he has no hope and yeah a trade is probably what's best for both sides.

As far as his offense goes I think it can work well with the Raptors offense as long as he can hit shots. We're a forward-centric (if that makes sense) team now with Siakam and Barnes initiating a lot of the offense. We need shooters around them which Banton is not.

I don't think Flynn is completely out of the running as the back up PG but he's got to show something this season.
                Flynn’s playing style is nothing like FVV. That would require a complete makeover of his game, which they have actually started the process with him.

Sounds great in theory, but try starting from scratch to develop your game against the world’s top athletes at the highest level, when you’re already at a height, weight and athletic disadvantage.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

oh hell no lol

flynn isn't making a pascal sized jump and pascal keep in mind has only played since he was 17
                  100% agreed. Never suggested Flynn would do so. Suggested it would have been insane to try to use those two games as evidence against Pascal, who not only had plenty of leaps ahead of him in terms of improvement year to year, but literally that same G-League season went on to win the Finals MVP, not because he made any significant leap from what he was the first two games, but because those first two games were meaningless in terms of a real sample of what he was capable of at that level.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Time flies....

Comment

• Dude was a last minute no show. Classic Kyrie. Not really sure if he's doing this for attention or if he's straight up nuts.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Flynn’s playing style is nothing like FVV. That would require a complete makeover of his game, which they have actually started the process with him.

Sounds great in theory, but try starting from scratch to develop your game against the world’s top athletes at the highest level, when you’re already at a height, weight and athletic disadvantage.
                        Agreed he does need to change his game, but it's not like Flynn and FVV's games are polar opposites. Both guys can shoot despite Flynn not being able to translate to NBA games yet, neither guy is ultra quick or athletic. The main thing for me with Flynn is he's not enough of a bull dog on defense. If he can play the type of defense Nurse wants, he'll get minutes and then you hope things start to fall into place for him.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Agreed he does need to change his game, but it's not like Flynn and FVV's games are polar opposites. Both guys can shoot despite Flynn not being able to translate to NBA games yet, neither guy is ultra quick or athletic. The main thing for me with Flynn is he's not enough of a bull dog on defense. If he can play the type of defense Nurse wants, he'll get minutes and then you hope things start to fall into place for him.
                          hard to just change his game up like that... easier to find a player who fits the system

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

hard to just change his game up like that... easier to find a player who fits the system
                            Not disagreeing with you but he's playing for his NBA career here. There might be some interest in him from other teams or he might be playing in Europe or Asia in a couple years. If I were him and my only competition was Banton I'd be bustin my ass trying to get that back up PG spot locked up.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                              Dude was a last minute no show. Classic Kyrie. Not really sure if he's doing this for attention or if he's straight up nuts.

He probably forgot

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

He probably forgot
                                He's a player I would not want on my team.
                                Next thing you know he's telling you gravity doesn't affect the ball.

Comment

Working...
                                X