X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

Had no clue

Cheers for the info
    No worries. People are falling into this weird habit, doing mental gymnastics to attribute every morsel of success the franchise had the last decade to Nurse. It’s bizarre. I think Nurse is great, but it’s becoming ridiculous the lengths people are going to. And he’s teflon for any negatives. I find myself being contrarian just because there’s no balance anymore when it comes to Nurse.

That infallibility even extends to Team Canada, where we outnumbered the Czechs 10 to 1 in NBA talent, and Nurse flopped in FIBA worse than Jay Triano when it mattered… but apparently that was Tristan Thompson and other bigs fault for not showing up. Even though we did have an NBA center (Powell) and were the only team playing at home. Nope… can’t fault Nurse.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i've seen you say this twice now recently and it's not true and is also leaving out some pretty important context i think.

the pacers were very much trying to make the playoffs while bjorkgren was there, and were so transparently trying to lose games last season that they publicly announced they would like to trade all of their good players for picks and prospects in early december, and sat as many players as they could get away with down the stretch.

like they picked up lance stephenson on new years day and then played him 20 mins a night for the next 40 games. that guy is absolutely elite at beating the shit out of women, but has sucked at basketball for years now and was out of the league the prior two years.

ohae brissett was basically the only rotation player from the previous season that was a rotation player in the second half of last year. so it was neither the same roster and also very different circumstances
      So you think they hired Rick Carlisle to purposefully tank?

Not that they hired Rick Carlisle to get them over the hump since Nate got them to the play in but lost?

They gave up mid season because they were playing like shit.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Not that they hired Rick Carlisle to get them over the hump since Nate got them to the play in but lost?

i think they hired rick carlilse because he was a steady and respected veteran coach after a tumultuous season under bjorkgren, then pivoted pretty quickly after finally realizing what was obvious to any non-casual NBA fan for years - that their team ceiling was a textbook treadmill team, with a 7 or 8 seed as a best case scenario.

they were 11 and 16 when they publicly announced their intent to tear it down to the skids. so not good but hardly unsalvageable. they were on par with boston, who ended up alright after also getting off to a rocky start under a new head coach. boston kept trying to win though

Comment

Nate wasn’t fired entirely for basketball reasons. It could be total BS, but the story came out that he treated underlings and support staff like dog-sh!t. Kiss up, kick down, personality. Also a poor communicator and micro manager. Pritchard confirmed it at the year end wrap-up, so there may have been some smoke to that weird fire.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Nate wasn’t fired entirely for basketball reasons. It could be total BS, but the story came out that he treated underlings and support staff like dog-sh!t. Kiss up, kick down, personality. Also a poor communicator and micro manager. Pritchard confirmed it at the year end wrap-up, so there may have been some smoke to that weird fire.
            Strange part is if he really did act like that, you'd think there would be some semblance of that behavior even as an assistant coach on the Raptors, but players and staff seem to like him.

Comment

Lots of the players disputed that and he hasn't had any trouble here.

Regardless he did a lot better than Carlisle.

I'm happy to have him on our staff.

Comment

• At the end of the day, some people really excel in leadership positions and some thrive better in roles of support. And even the most talented individuals might not be able to translate their talent into leadership. It’s a whole different thing when you’re #1 and in charge.

It’s entertaining, golden’s devil’s-advocacy with Nurse, which, fine, whatever. But one thing that can be said about Nurse, beyond X’s and O’s, (which he’s pretty universally praised for) is that he certainly seems like a super nice, cool, down to earth, thoughtful, intelligent, generous guy — and it’s pretty clear that everybody loves playing for him. (Ok that was more than one thing.)
                And that even opposing players respect him.

Nate may be an exceptional basketball mind… but maybe he doesn’t have the qualities that allow a room to coalesce. That kind of guy can still be somebody I’m really glad to have on my staff, but not necessarily leading it.

In Nate’s case, I’m definitely glad he’s come back to us and that he can be in a role he seems to thrive in.

There are a lot of different things that go into winning.

Comment

• If this article is true, Nate wasn’t an angel with the Raptors either. This quote is from
                  the same article last year. If true, he’s a snake in the grass, sucks up to the powerful people above him and tries to keep the people below him under his thumb. FVV disputed that claim, but maybe he didn’t see it happening.

“That behavior seems to have continued in Toronto. One league source compared the dynamic to Bjorkgren acting like a politician's chief of staff, at points preventing other coaches and Toronto's players from holding conversations with Nurse that did not go through Bjorkgren first.

"He would do things like police the communication about the team schedule on a road trip and when other people got a hold of it, so he was in control," said the person with knowledge of the situation.

"It's one thing if the head coach designates his lead assistant as a person to delegate communication, as a means to organize your business. It's another when that person seems to be doing it without the head coach's direction," said the aforementioned assistant general manager. “

Comment

• Hopefully Nate has learned from mistakes… Nick felt comfortable enough for him to come back.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                      If this article is true, Nate wasn’t an angel with the Raptors either. This quote is from
                      the same article last year. If true, he’s a snake in the grass, sucks up to the powerful people above him and tries to keep the people below him under his thumb. FVV disputed that claim, but maybe he didn’t see it happening.

“That behavior seems to have continued in Toronto. One league source compared the dynamic to Bjorkgren acting like a politician's chief of staff, at points preventing other coaches and Toronto's players from holding conversations with Nurse that did not go through Bjorkgren first.

"He would do things like police the communication about the team schedule on a road trip and when other people got a hold of it, so he was in control," said the person with knowledge of the situation.

"It's one thing if the head coach designates his lead assistant as a person to delegate communication, as a means to organize your business. It's another when that person seems to be doing it without the head coach's direction," said the aforementioned assistant general manager. “
                      The other odd thing was that within a week or 2 of Nate being fired... Jama left for Golden State and Sergio Scariolo went back to Europe. They probably asked Nurse if Nate was coming back realize that he is Nurse's defacto right-hand man, even if his title was "consultant".

Regardless of the office politics... the Nurse-Nate duo works and maybe Nurse really missed having Nate during the Tampa year.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                        At the end of the day, some people really excel in leadership positions and some thrive better in roles of support. And even the most talented individuals might not be able to translate their talent into leadership. It’s a whole different thing when you’re #1 and in charge.

It’s entertaining, golden’s devil’s-advocacy with Nurse, which, fine, whatever. But one thing that can be said about Nurse, beyond X’s and O’s, (which he’s pretty universally praised for) is that he certainly seems like a super nice, cool, down to earth, thoughtful, intelligent, generous guy — and it’s pretty clear that everybody loves playing for him. (Ok that was more than one thing.)
                        And that even opposing players respect him.

Nate may be an exceptional basketball mind… but maybe he doesn’t have the qualities that allow a room to coalesce. That kind of guy can still be somebody I’m really glad to have on my staff, but not necessarily leading it.

In Nate’s case, I’m definitely glad he’s come back to us and that he can be in a role he seems to thrive in.

There are a lot of different things that go into winning.
                        Yeah, when you see me defending Casey and singing his praises... that's a sign things have gone too far in over-crediting Nurse and dis-crediting Casey.

That said... did you know that Nick Nurse actually founded Giants of Africa, built Jurassic Park (literally, with his own hands), traded for Lowry and created the #WeTheNorth branding?

Comment

Yeah, when you see me defending Casey and singing his praises... that's a sign things have gone too far in over-crediting Nurse and dis-crediting Casey.

That said... did you know that Nick Nurse actually founded Giants of Africa, built Jurassic Park (literally, with his own hands), traded for Lowry and created the #WeTheNorth branding?
                          i miss when jurassic park started... i didn't go during the year they won the chip because it was too crazy

Comment

Casey initially got too much credit and eventually he got too much blame. Nurse will be the same - just like 99% of coaches.

Nurse has that title though and he’s capitalized on it for fame and fortune. Nothing wrong with that.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Casey initially got too much credit and eventually he got too much blame. Nurse will be the same - just like 99% of coaches.

Nurse has that title though and he’s capitalized on it for fame and fortune. Nothing wrong with that.
                              I think Nurse is our Pop and won't be getting any blame, at least until we think he's too old and should retire.

Comment

I think Nurse is our Pop and won't be getting any blame, at least until we think he's too old and should retire.
                                We will see. I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X