No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick has goodwill for quite a while. It will take a few failed Playoff runs in a row where the Raptors underachieve to starting think maybe he isn't it.

So far, after the championship, Nick has lost in the Playoffs against the Celtics which was a tough competitive series in a weird bubble scenario in the middle of the pandemic.

Raptors missed the Playoffs the next year after getting by COVID (every team did), but seems like the front office wanted to tank after that which is evidenced by the rest some players got instead of making the push for the Playoffs.

Last season, they did overachieve by getting the 5th seed after many fans and experts predicted either a play-in spot or missing the Playoffs.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
      Nick has goodwill for quite a while. It will take a few failed Playoff runs in a row where the Raptors underachieve to starting think maybe he isn't it.
      Every head coach has a shelf life.

The thing with coaching it can only be measured by longevity, overall records, and finally championships runs/wins. But other factors such as whom do you coach also matters.

is Udoka all of the sudden a genius great head coach just because he was able to bring Boston to the finals in his first season?

how good was Phil Jackson as a head coach if he all his championships runs had 2 or 3 hall of famers on the roster?! Same thing with Steve Kerr.

Would Popovic have won any championships if they didn't have Tim Duncan?!

If we are asking how good is Nick Nurse than same question needs to be applied to how good is Spoelstra is anyway?! can only get the championships with Lebron/Wade/Bosh.

Is Budenholzer a really good coach if he only won with Giannis once in 4 years?!

Comment

• The thing with Pop is the Spurs were never dominant in terms of winning multiple championships in a row.

They've had failed Playoff runs in between their championships, but they kept their core including Pop together and won championships here and there. They went 7 years from 2007 to 2014 between championships, but they kept their core together the entire time.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Casey initially got too much credit and eventually he got too much blame. Nurse will be the same - just like 99% of coaches.

Nurse has that title though and he’s capitalized on it for fame and fortune. Nothing wrong with that.
          The credit and goodwill is great and I'll always thank Nick for his part getting us the chip.

It's the weird extrapolation & going backwards in time, attributing every good thing that's ever happened to the franchise since he was hired as an assistant coach... to Nick. Even when it's obvious that others (e.g. Casey, Masai, Lowry,...) were the main drivers.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

Every head coach has a shelf life.

The thing with coaching it can only be measured by longevity, overall records, and finally championships runs/wins. But other factors such as whom do you coach also matters.

is Udoka all of the sudden a genius great head coach just because he was able to bring Boston to the finals in his first season?

how good was Phil Jackson as a head coach if he all his championships runs had 2 or 3 hall of famers on the roster?! Same thing with Steve Kerr.

Would Popovic have won any championships if they didn't have Tim Duncan?!

If we are asking how good is Nick Nurse than same question needs to be applied to how good is Spoelstra is anyway?! can only get the championships with Lebron/Wade/Bosh.

Is Budenholzer a really good coach if he only won with Giannis once in 4 years?!

We're all hardcore basketball fans here so I think we're perfectly capable of assessing the abilities of a coach while accounting for the talent level of the team. We can tell what is over achieving, what is under achieving, and what is expected achievement. We can tell what are potent offenses, what are potent defenses, and what a failing offense and defense looks like. We can tell coaches who make good adjustments and those who don't. If you think you aren't capable of assessing a coach then that's fine but I think most of us are perfectly capable.

Udoka is a good coach, yes. Boston has a good roster but no hall of fame guys and he did what the prior coach could not, got them over the hump and into the finals. He also gave them one of the best defenses in the NBA.

Phil Jackson was a good coach but I think a tad overrated because of the talent he possessed. I don't think he was good at adjusting to the roster as there were times where triangle wasn't the best idea and he ran it anyways.

Pop is an excellent coach and has consistently overachieved when given underwhelming rosters. He always seems to get the best out of his players.

Spoelstra is a very good coach. Yes, he only won with the big 3, but he just made the finals with what I consider a pretty mediocre roster. They had the best record in the East this past season with aging vets and inconsistent young guys. He has kept the Heat at a very high level with entirely different rosters.

Budenholzer is a very good coach. Prior to going to Milwaukee he had a flawed Atlanta roster way over achieving. He won coach of the year with both of his teams. He led the Hawks to a franchise record 60 wins in 2015, and their deepest playoff run in 48 years. Go look at that roster. It was pretty meh and over achieved by a good amount.

Nurse is a great coach. He has over achieved in every season except when we purposefully tanked. He adjusts the play style to fit the roster. Now we're building the roster to fit what he believes is an effective play style that can win without a superstar. I like what he's doing and the early returns are great.

Comment

• It's not about being capable of assessing the coach but the main issue is: Is the product on the floor good enough under the direction of this coach & if you disagree please name me another coach that you think will be a better replacement that this team can actually acquire. That list has to be very thin if one exists.

Some posters here alluded that Nurse is a bit overrated which is fine but they need to also answer: "Should he currently be fired because of that & who are you gonna replace with him today, not tomorrow, next year or few years down the line that you are sure will be much better"

Casey being replaced by Nurse after years of stagnant playoffs appearances was absolutely the right call & the evidence spoke for itself. A coach gets the roster that he gets & has got to do the best with it, end of story.

Comment

It's not about being capable of assessing the coach but the main issue is: Is the product on the floor good enough under the direction of this coach & if you disagree please name me another coach that you think will be a better replacement that this team can actually acquire. That list has to be very thin if one exists.

Some posters here alluded that Nurse is a bit overrated which is fine but they need to also answer: "Should he currently be fired because of that & who are you gonna replace with him today, not tomorrow, next year or few years down the line that you are sure will be much better"

Casey being replaced by Nurse after years of stagnant playoffs appearances was absolutely the right call & the evidence spoke for itself. A coach gets the roster that he gets & has got to do the best with it, end of story.
                LOL. No one's calling for Nurse to be fired. It's just that some of the lionization gets a bit much at times. So because the 782,539 stories about Nurse playing guitar and writing a book seem a little excessive to me I then have to provide a list of coaches who should replace him now or in the future? Come on, man.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

LOL. No one's calling for Nurse to be fired. It's just that some of the lionization gets a bit much at times. So because the 782,539 stories about Nurse playing guitar and writing a book seem a little excessive to me I then have to provide a list of coaches who should replace him now or in the future? Come on, man.
                  Well no one called you out...but here you are LOL.

Comment

• The quality of our coaching went up drastically when Casey left and Nurse took over. Our head coach position went from being a competitive disadvantage to a competitive advantage. Maybe Nurse gets too overhyped in some areas, Lowry called him the best coach in the world, but there's a reason everyone thinks Nurse is good - because he is.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
                      The quality of our coaching went up drastically when Casey left and Nurse took over. Our head coach position went from being a competitive disadvantage to a competitive advantage. Maybe Nurse gets too overhyped in some areas, Lowry called him the best coach in the world, but there's a reason everyone thinks Nurse is good - because he is.
                      Agree with you but just because everyone thinks you are good and hyped by the media doesn't always make you that good.

Doc Rivers still milking that championship with Boston 15 years ago and every place he went afterwards, he failed spectacularly in the playoffs (not to mention he always managed to rub some of his star players the wrong way). Yet some players and the media stick up to him as being one of the best coaches in the league every summer like they just rinsed his recent failures in holy water or something lol.

Comment

Agree with you but just because everyone thinks you are good and hyped by the media doesn't always make you that good.

Doc Rivers still milking that championship with Boston 15 years ago and every place he went afterwards, he failed spectacularly in the playoffs (not to mention he always managed to rub some of his star players the wrong way). Yet some players and the media stick up to him as being one of the best coaches in the league every summer like they just rinsed his recent failures in holy water or something lol.

Coaches can be overrated for sure. Rivers is overrated but still a good coach. I'd take him over Casey.

Comment

• Would be nice to have Brooks and Wilson. We'd have to cut Svi for the roster spot?

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            Would be nice to have Brooks and Wilson. We'd have to cut Svi for the roster spot?
                            We'd have to cut Svi to fit even one of them, assuming Champagnie and Koloko and Banton are making the cut.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• To my mind, we no longer have a lot of use for Wilson on the big squad...

Armoni though is a question mark that can be answered in camp…

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                                To my mind, we no longer have a lot of use for Wilson on the big squad...

Armoni though is a question mark that can be answered in camp…
                                May the best man win.

Wilson cannot be this inconsistent game in and game out.

Armoni needs to show that he can do more than just shoot 3 especially since he is gonna have dry spells.

Basically how positive can each player be on the court if their shot isn't falling?!

Comment

Working...
                                X