Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Herro makes up for Bam's offensive shortcomings.
    He is definitely an upgrade over Flynn.

Pascal + Flynn = Bam + Herro in my opinion.
    That's a pretty gross trade for Miami. Flynn has no value around the league. He's a throw in. Herro is Miami's asset that they are dangling to get guys like Mitchell and KD. He's not available for cheap. Pascal may be better than Bam but I don't know if Miami agrees.. or at least to the extent you do.

Besides, the Raptors wouldn't make the deal due to money reasons. Herro is looking for top dollar as he's an RFA/expiring. Pascal and Bam make about the same. Flynn is dirt cheap, even if he was brought back as he's shown very little. So we're basically adding around $25-$30M in payroll. And we're already up to the tax limit now. Even if the cap rises, that easily becomes a tax team, unless we let one of Fred or Gary walk.

Which then means you are basically including one of Fred and Gary in that trade. And then Toronto just suddenly gets a lot worse.

Comment

Herro makes up for Bam's offensive shortcomings.
      He is definitely an upgrade over Flynn.

Pascal + Flynn = Bam + Herro in my opinion.
      herro is a 10th percentile defensive player..... so no.

Comment

• Would anyone be opposed to getting Jarred Vanderbilt from the Jazz? He was one of the throw in contracts Minny threw in for Rudy Gobert. Vanderbilt makes $4.3M this year, and $4.6M next year, although only $300K is guaranteed.

He's only 23. And is essentially a non-shooting defensive role player. He averaged over 8 rebounds a game, with 1.3 steals and 0.6 blocks in about 25mpg. And yet he's 6'8 with a 7'1 wingspan (well at least in college). The interesting thing with rebounding, is that he averages 2.9 offensive rebounds a game.. that's tied for 12th in the league around guys like JV, Drummond, Jokic, and Zubac (ie, legit centers). And again he only plays 25mpg.

His salary can fit into the Lowry TPE. We could likely even throw in Svi since we'd need him off the books to be able to add him to our 15 man roster. Gives us some more depth and his value again is on the defensive end which we crave.

He'd be an upgrade on Wilson. Brooks would also have to get cut, but we did give Dowtin a 2-way deal so he could be our emergency guard off the bench if needed (well outside the playoffs).

Here is a great article on Vanderbilt:
        https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/2/3...a-timberwolves

Comment

• Vanderbilt is quite good. Question would be what Utah wants for him. If it's a free guy, heck yes. If it's a draft pick, a little less clear. Also would bury Koloko, which I'm not eager to do.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            Vanderbilt is quite good. Question would be what Utah wants for him. If it's a free guy, heck yes. If it's a draft pick, a little less clear. Also would bury Koloko, which I'm not eager to do.
            I was thinking the Thad like trade again but Utah doesn't have a SRP in 2023 (they traded it to Charlotte). Unless they get one back from a Mitchell trade. We trade our 2023 first (top 20 protected) for a 2023 second via NY or something.

As for Koloko.. I suspect we'd see him in the G-league a lot anyway.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

I was thinking the Thad like trade again but Utah doesn't have a SRP in 2023 (they traded it to Charlotte). Unless they get one back from a Mitchell trade. We trade our 2023 first (top 20 protected) for a 2023 second via NY or something.

As for Koloko.. I suspect we'd see him in the G-league a lot anyway.
              For Koloko, right now we've got Precious and Khem for the next two years in front of him, so he'll get shots when injuries happen. Add Vanderbilt and he's got a lot of bodies to leapfrog over the next two seasons.

I'd still add Vanderbilt, but I wouldn't pay much to do it because I do want to get a look at Koloko sooner than later.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I think unless the person is a very very clear upgrade over what we have like us getting turner ( I do not think turner would be worth the price of admission given koloko and my assumption that the pacers would not budge until we give up a first rounder. If we could get Turner while only giving up birch and bench pieces etc... but the salaries as you start to add them up it makes it tough.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Trading Siakam for Bam would be a disaster.

No interest in Herro, so I don't think I like the first trade much either, though Bam would be an interesting fit here as a C. But Miami would almost certainly ask for a lot more in return.
                  Siakam is 3 ppg greater than Bam, Bam RPG is two and 1/2 ppg greater than Siakam.

Bam is two years younger and $5 Million cheaper p.a. than Siakam

Change the trade - Siakam + Flynn for
                  Bam + Jovic + Strus.
                  Than Raptors trade Birch + Wilson + Svi for Caruso

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post

Siakam is 3 ppg greater than Bam, Bam RPG is two and 1/2 ppg greater than Siakam.

Bam is two years younger and $5 Million cheaper p.a. than Siakam

Change the trade - Siakam + Flynn for
                    Bam + Jovic + Strus.
                    Than Raptors trade Birch + Wilson + Svi for Caruso
                    Love Caruso,
                    but
                    why would the Bulls do that?

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Would anyone be opposed to getting Jarred Vanderbilt from the Jazz? He was one of the throw in contracts Minny threw in for Rudy Gobert. Vanderbilt makes $4.3M this year, and $4.6M next year, although only $300K is guaranteed.

He's only 23. And is essentially a non-shooting defensive role player. He averaged over 8 rebounds a game, with 1.3 steals and 0.6 blocks in about 25mpg. And yet he's 6'8 with a 7'1 wingspan (well at least in college). The interesting thing with rebounding, is that he averages 2.9 offensive rebounds a game.. that's tied for 12th in the league around guys like JV, Drummond, Jokic, and Zubac (ie, legit centers). And again he only plays 25mpg.

His salary can fit into the Lowry TPE. We could likely even throw in Svi since we'd need him off the books to be able to add him to our 15 man roster. Gives us some more depth and his value again is on the defensive end which we crave.

He'd be an upgrade on Wilson. Brooks would also have to get cut, but we did give Dowtin a 2-way deal so he could be our emergency guard off the bench if needed (well outside the playoffs).

Here is a great article on Vanderbilt:
                      https://www.canishoopus.com/2022/2/3...a-timberwolves
                      I bet the Raptors could turn him into a decent shooter. Quite frankly just don't really see a spot on the roster for him as it is constructed now... But I'd like that add. Seeing Jazz roster and salaries right now... and maybe he'd come over here with someone else, if we do a trade. OG + Birch for him and Bogdanovic does work.
                      Last edited by TomAmnot; Fri Jul 22, 2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• This Team is Myles Turner away from being a contender. I don't know why we're not aggressive enough 2bget this guy. It's not like he would cost alot. Forget about KD, ain't happening. I'm pretty sure if Raptors offered Gary Trent, they make that deal, probably even less than Gary Trent.
                        Byrch, Flynn, Svi, fillers, picks..
                        We need a Starting Center.
                        Gary Trent is Free Agent next year, Raptors aren't gonna pay him more than vanvleet, so move him, before u lose him for nothing.
                        That's my suggestion.
                        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                          This Team is Myles Turner away from being a contender. I don't know why we're not aggressive enough 2bget this guy. It's not like he would cost alot. Forget about KD, ain't happening. I'm pretty sure if Raptors offered Gary Trent, they make that deal, probably even less than Gary Trent.
                          Gary Trent is Free Agent next year, Raptors aren't gonna pay him more than vanvleet, so move him, before u lose him for nothing.
                          That's my suggestion.
                          again depends on the cost 1 pick... eh depends on the year of the pick. I want to hold on to 2023... if you can get it for the him for filler and one pick maybe but i'd still rather hold out for durant. I think turner will still be available.

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

I bet the Raptors could turn him into a decent shooter. Quite frankly just don't really see a spot on the roster for him as it is constructed now... But I'd like that add. Seeing Jazz roster and salaries right now... and maybe he'd come over here with someone else, if we do a trade. OG + Birch for him and Bogdanovic does work.
                            I don't trade OG for Bogdanovic, even if we're including a bad contract like Khem's. Ainge seems to be into draft picks. I think he wants to tank. So that's why I was thinking of trading a FRP for a SRP like we did with Thad.

We'd likely want to load manage both Thad (due to age) and Porter (due to injury) through out the season too. I don't think it would be too hard to find minutes for him. He would take minutes away from guys like Champagnie or even Koloko though. As Nurse always wants to win every game.

I just have this feeling that Vanderbilt would be pretty easy to get right now. I just don't see Utah caring if he was there or not.

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                              This Team is Myles Turner away from being a contender. I don't know why we're not aggressive enough 2bget this guy. It's not like he would cost alot. Forget about KD, ain't happening. I'm pretty sure if Raptors offered Gary Trent, they make that deal, probably even less than Gary Trent.
                              That's my suggestion.
                              Myles Turner is not better than Precious. Check his head to head stats against the top centers and then check Precious against the same guys. Precious does way better. Embiid puts up 40 on Turner with ease and prevents Turner from scoring at all. Precious holds him to 25. Turner is not who you think he is. He's also a worse 3pt shooter than Precious. No logical reason to prefer him other than he's taller.

Comment

Love Caruso,
                                but
                                why would the Bulls do that?
                                Bulls have 3 PG - Ball, Caruso & Coby White
                                The Bulls are touching the Luxury Tax, Ball & White are the youngest two PG on the team.

Bulls require front court assistance. Raptors could offer Birch + Wilson or Flynn or Banton for either White or Caruso.
                                The trade of Caruso by the Bulls reduces Team Salary by $500,000 + ( especially they waive Wilson).
                                Either way, White or Caruso would fit the Raptors the position of backup PG.
                                Similar trade for McConnell from the Pacers should be considered.

Just to address the Siakam + 2023 2nd ( protected) for Bam +Strus+ Jovic trade, the Raptors/ Heat could bring a 3rd team with the Pacers trading Myles Turner to the Heat for Robinson + Yurtseven + 1st 2023 and Raptors trading Birch + Flynn +,Svi + Brooks for McConnell.
                                A quality backup PG for FVV financial cost is approximately $8 Million.

The Heat lineup of: Lowry, Herro, Butler, Siakam and Turner is plenty strong. With key backups of Vincent + Oladipo + Martin + Dedman provides
                                the Heat with a 9 player rotation.

Raptors rotation:
                                FVV, Trent Jr., OG, Barnes, Bam
                                Caruso or McConnell or White, Strus,OPJ, Young,/Boucher, Precious
                                Jovic, Koloko, Banton, Champagnie.

Pacers rotation:
                                Haliburton, Hield, Robinson,Birch, Yurtseven
                                and Flynn, Duarte and Mathurin and pray for Rain

A much deeper team at a cost of $143-145 Million.
                                Last year Siakam would be traded at low value, this year at much more value. By having this low Salary Team Cap and the length of fix term. The Raptors could extend Freddy 4/$110 Million commencing at $25 Million and Trent Jr., to 4/$100 Million commencing @$23 Million plus Strus 3/$25 starting @ $7 Million and with the projected Luxury Tax at $159 Million, the Raptors can be a non paying Luxury Tax team. Remember Boucher salary drops next year.

By trading for Caruso or White to become backup PG , the height of the team except for Freddy would be 6’5 “ and above! Averaging at 6’9” for the other 13 players.
                                When one of the Starting 5 is injured or in foul trouble, the Raptors no longer have a hold your breath moment.

Even the development squad players of #12-15 will be more challenged and not a total embarrassment.

The parentage of Flynn can be missed as much as Ball’s father is missed- compare those two parents to the Love Canal in the state of New York!
                                Last edited by Heatdreamer; Sat Jul 23, 2022, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X