Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    if bev is bought out can we give him the bi annual exception during the year?
    Yes, we'll have the BAE or the rest of the MLE to offer, both of which would be significantly more than the minimum. But buyouts are rarely decided by what salary you can offer, those guys are riding big paychecks from their prior contract and usually just pick where they want to go.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Yes, we'll have the BAE or the rest of the MLE to offer, both of which would be significantly more than the minimum. But buyouts are rarely decided by what salary you can offer, those guys are riding big paychecks from their prior contract and usually just pick where they want to go.
      he fits here would you like him?

Comment

he fits here would you like him?
        Meh, sure. I doubt they add another vet unless they have a big injury. I suspect they either ride with their current set of guys or find a bigger trade. But as a waiver wire signing, sure. Doubt we'd be a destination though, probably no promise of playing time.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I still don't get this interest in Beverly

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
            I still don't get this interest in Beverly
            Bev shoots around 40% plays defences like a menace... has that dog in him... he just is someone who like otto has been injured.

3 time all defence

when healthy he ranks in the 80th percentile on offence... defensively he ranks 90th percentile.

blocks alot for a guard ranking him in the 87th percentile when he blocks a shot or attempts he blocks at that rate.

93rd percentile in deflection 96th in regularized defensive turnover creation.

surprisingly gets to the line. Smart player passes a ton... also most ppl don't realize his back story.
            Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Sun Jul 24, 2022, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I've actually always thought OG is best suited to be guarding smaller players all game, and capable of switching onto bigs, rather than the other way around. Some of OG's best defensive games have been when Nick (or Casey) have just unleashed him on an opposing star scorer and let him shut them down for 36 minutes. It makes me a little sad he is so rarely used that way in favour of the positionless defensive approach.
              I look at OG guarding guards like I see him guarding C's. There is a time and place for it, but you probably don't want to do it full time because his foot speed in relation to guards isn't great. You're right though he has had a lot of success in the past against guys like Harden, but I'm not sure if that was certain possessions I'm recalling or he was guarding SG's the majority of the game.

Comment

With the cap climbing again, so long as Trent and Fred aren't getting maxed out, they may be able to keep everybody for a few more years up until Scottie gets his raise. Quite a ways off from that pinch point though (which may get solved by the new TV deal).
                I recall you mentioning it might be possible to pay everyone before but I don't think anyone went in depth into it.

What sort of figures are you thinking?

Comment

Bev shoots around 40% plays defences like a menace... has that dog in him... he just is someone who like otto has been injured.

3 time all defence

when healthy he ranks in the 80th percentile on offence... defensively he ranks 90th percentile.

blocks alot for a guard ranking him in the 87th percentile when he blocks a shot or attempts he blocks at that rate.

93rd percentile in deflection 96th in regularized defensive turnover creation.

surprisingly gets to the line. Smart player passes a ton... also most ppl don't realize his back story.
                  Yep I like Pat Bev too for this team. If we could get him for Flynn and filler I'd be all about it.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Yep I like Pat Bev too for this team. If we could get him for Flynn and filler I'd be all about it.
                    i was hoping for buy out but i'd be ok with giving up stuff for him... especially if we aren't getting durant... flynn birch, svi gets you there. i just dont want to give up a pick for him.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I look at OG guarding guards like I see him guarding C's. There is a time and place for it, but you probably don't want to do it full time because his foot speed in relation to guards isn't great. You're right though he has had a lot of success in the past against guys like Harden, but I'm not sure if that was certain possessions I'm recalling or he was guarding SG's the majority of the game.
                      There was a very memorable game in his rookie year where he got Harden the entire game and completely locked him up.

There have certainly been games where he's taken those assignments for the full game. Not nearly as many as I would like. Part of that is he has a bit of a denial effect, where teams will move their actions away from him and run their offence through a different guy, or will hunt a switch to get away from him (which the Raptors are usually IMO too willing to give up). He gets a lot of off ball steals in passing lanes for that reason but has his overall defensive impact limited.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I recall you mentioning it might be possible to pay everyone before but I don't think anyone went in depth into it.

What sort of figures are you thinking?
                        I'd put a breakdown in the cap thread a while ago, but that was before the cap rose faster than projected. I'll update it tonight if I find some time.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• NBA new TV & Streaming Contract increases should be a minimum increase of $4 Billion this is the worse case scenario.
                          Prognosticators predict the media rights will grow from $2.6 Billion to $8 Billion increasing The NBA Revenue to exceed $15 Billion per annum leading to $175 Million NBA Salary Cap with a Luxury Tax approaching $200 Million+ for 2025/26.

Raptors may bump the Luxury Tax for 2023/24, but even if the team exceeds the Luxury Tax the penalties should not be onerous.

Freddy at a contract similar to Brunson commencing next year at $24.5 Million with 8% increases. Trent Jr. a 5 year contract commencing @$23.5 Million. The total increase for these two core players would be $9 Million and the projected increase in the Luxury Tax for next is to be $165 Million a 10% increase similar to last years actual increase. Raptors should be able to absorb all salary increases in 2023/24 and remain under the Luxury Tax and an extra $2.8 available for the replacement of Svi ( Boucher’s salary decline).

Siakam is talented , how much better overall is Siakam over Bam who is two years young and $5 Million( this year less expensive) plus Strus +?.

I know everyone is enraptured with Siakam, but Bam is a very solid All Star level player and a better rebounder. The benefits for OG offensively and a stronger rebounding team.

Jovic & Strus combined with Bam , allows a substantial improvement to the Raptors depth.
                          Instead of talking about Champagnie , Flynn , Svi, Banton and Birch . ( who could be traded for Beverly) Salaries match!

1. FVV , Trent, OG, Barnes , Bam
                          2. Beverly, Strus, OPJ, Young, Boucher, Precious
                          Jovic, Dowtin, Koloko, Watanabe-$143.5 Million

Personally. I would trade for White, McConnell or Caruso!
                          Last edited by Heatdreamer; Sun Jul 24, 2022, 03:48 PM.

Comment

• The luxury tax is stupid, if the league actually wanted parity/fairness there would be just a hard cap.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
                              The luxury tax is stupid, if the league actually wanted parity/fairness there would be just a hard cap.
                              The contracts the players are getting are stupid. $60M a year for anyone is insane and at the same time telling of how much revenue owners are making off these teams. I've heard zero complaints from any ownership about the money they are paying the players. In fact the complaints, if any, are probably that they can't pay them more and field more competitive teams.

Comment

The contracts the players are getting are stupid. $60M a year for anyone is insane and at the same time telling of how much revenue owners are making off these teams. I've heard zero complaints from any ownership about the money they are paying the players. In fact the complaints, if any, are probably that they can't pay them more and field more competitive teams.
                                The players get half the revenue. If you don't think they should get the money, who should? As for the highest salaries, the highest paid players would actually get MORE than the current maxes if they were being paid market price.

The NBA also just talks about parity, they actually implement only limited efforts to create it. Absolutely they could create parity with a hard cap no individual max league. But they (and the players) have no interest in that. The players want pay parity, as most players are not stars, and freedom of movement, which a hard cap limits. And the league wants revenues maximized, and every sign points to superteams (and the drama surrounding multiple stars on the same team and the player movement involved in creating that) creating more league wide interest than general parity does.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X