Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

The players get half the revenue. If you don't think they should get the money, who should? As for the highest salaries, the highest paid players would actually get MORE than the current maxes if they were being paid market price.

The NBA also just talks about parity, they actually implement only limited efforts to create it. Absolutely they could create parity with a hard cap no individual max league. But they (and the players) have no interest in that. The players want pay parity, as most players are not stars, and freedom of movement, which a hard cap limits. And the league wants revenues maximized, and every sign points to superteams (and the drama surrounding multiple stars on the same team and the player movement involved in creating that) creating more league wide interest than general parity does.
    How about some of that money going back to the fans in the form of lower ticket prices and lower cost for streaming services?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

How about some of that money going back to the fans in the form of lower ticket prices and lower cost for streaming services?
      This point to me doesn't make much sense for a company who's trying to make as much money as they possibly can. If the interest in the sport slows down.. less fans attend game; less fans watch games on tv; that may cause a ripple effect of other companies not wanting to spend their marketing money during live games as well. That could then definitely lower the prices at the ticket booth and give money back to the fans. But that's not happening. Even with Covid, all the business with China, etc. Fans are still tuning in. And billionaires are still wanting to buy franchises. As far as I can tell the value of a typical franchise has not dropped in price.

Now if the government decided to put a cap on how much one business can make and curb stomp them with taxes and loop holes, then I could see the fans getting something back. But that's likely never going to happen. The Bezo's, Zuckerberg's, and Walton's of the world would fight too hard to ensure it doesn't happen. And they will have too many politicians in their back pockets to ensure it doesn't.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
        The luxury tax is stupid, if the league actually wanted parity/fairness there would be just a hard cap.
        The league does have parity with the current setup. Milwaukee just won the championship. So did a non tax paying Toronto team. The current system is great and allows everyone to have an equal shot.

Comment

The players get half the revenue. If you don't think they should get the money, who should? As for the highest salaries, the highest paid players would actually get MORE than the current maxes if they were being paid market price.

The NBA also just talks about parity, they actually implement only limited efforts to create it. Absolutely they could create parity with a hard cap no individual max league. But they (and the players) have no interest in that. The players want pay parity, as most players are not stars, and freedom of movement, which a hard cap limits. And the league wants revenues maximized, and every sign points to superteams (and the drama surrounding multiple stars on the same team and the player movement involved in creating that) creating more league wide interest than general parity does.
          Actually I'm for the players getting as much as possible. I just think the numbers are crazy in the sense that these guys are playing sports and getting that kind of money. It's not Mandela or Ghandi out there trying to save the world.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Actually I'm for the players getting as much as possible. I just think the numbers are crazy in the sense that these guys are playing sports and getting that kind of money. It's not Mandela or Ghandi out there trying to save the world.
            They get a lot of their revenue from tv deals.. ESPN, TNT/ABC need content, and the NBA delivers a lot of it. Sports are live, and people can't really watch it when its convenient for them as they'd get spoiled and can't talk about it. It's the one type of programming that television subscribers crave.

If the NBA can find a successful relationship with a streaming service, who can also air it live, then perhaps that the next big thing.. but that entity would end up giving the NBA a lot of money too. Content is king, and the NBA has a lot of it. It doesn't hurt that they basically have a monopoly on basketball. They aren't scared of the CEBL or any leagues in Europe or Africa. Plus there are only like 450-500 players in the league. So the player pie, which is pretty large (50%) gets split amongst a small population of people.

From a fairness perspective.. yes it's just a game. But Amazon and Walmart make a lot of money too. Neither are trying to save the world either. They have a platform that can sell goods for cheaper than their competition. Bezos and the Walton Family make way more than they should, but nobody is stopping them from making even more.

Comment

The contracts the players are getting are stupid. $60M a year for anyone is insane and at the same time telling of how much revenue owners are making off these teams. I've heard zero complaints from any ownership about the money they are paying the players. In fact the complaints, if any, are probably that they can't pay them more and field more competitive teams.
              you dont get what you deserve only what you have the leverage to negotiate.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                NBA new TV & Streaming Contract increases should be a minimum increase of $4 Billion this is the worse case scenario.
                Prognosticators predict the media rights will grow from $2.6 Billion to $8 Billion increasing The NBA Revenue to exceed $15 Billion per annum leading to $175 Million NBA Salary Cap with a Luxury Tax approaching $200 Million+ for 2025/26.

Raptors may bump the Luxury Tax for 2023/24, but even if the team exceeds the Luxury Tax the penalties should not be onerous.

Freddy at a contract similar to Brunson commencing next year at $24.5 Million with 8% increases. Trent Jr. a 5 year contract commencing @$23.5 Million. The total increase for these two core players would be $9 Million and the projected increase in the Luxury Tax for next is to be $165 Million a 10% increase similar to last years actual increase. Raptors should be able to absorb all salary increases in 2023/24 and remain under the Luxury Tax and an extra $2.8 available for the replacement of Svi ( Boucher’s salary decline).

Siakam is talented , how much better overall is Siakam over Bam who is two years young and $5 Million( this year less expensive) plus Strus +?.

I know everyone is enraptured with Siakam, but Bam is a very solid All Star level player and a better rebounder. The benefits for OG offensively and a stronger rebounding team.

Jovic & Strus combined with Bam , allows a substantial improvement to the Raptors depth.
                Instead of talking about Champagnie , Flynn , Svi, Banton and Birch . ( who could be traded for Beverly) Salaries match!

1. FVV , Trent, OG, Barnes , Bam
                2. Beverly, Strus, OPJ, Young, Boucher, Precious
                Jovic, Dowtin, Koloko, Watanabe-$143.5 Million

Personally. I would trade for White, McConnell or Caruso!
                you have really been on one with siakam lately.....

Mcconell is a good target.. chicago isn't giving up one of their two best defenders on their entire team especially since the other one is struggling with his physical rehab.

Coby White is an interesting target but perhaps not as good as some think but he would be an interesting young prospect. Mcconell is a good target.... .

Siakam vs Bam.I mean again offensively Siakam has a much bigger role because he can handle more offensively but for that reason his defence has slipped but siakam is still around 75th percentile in terms of defensive impact across the league. Defensively Bam is 96th percentile Siakam is clearly not. Siakam was actually a better rebounder this year and played a much more versatile defensive role ...created more turn overs... bam was better at guarding passing lanes but they played different roles.

Bam is taller by .25 inches... Siakam has a longer wing span. The thing is Siakam's creation for his teammates and offensive playmaking is truly elite (88th percentile) vs Bam (55th percentile).

I would choose Siakam over Bam but it is close but for our current team construction Bam doesn't really help us in our areas of need. We need to improve offensively with out play making.. Swapping the two you get better defenisvely sure ...but you are already good overall defensively especially when the team locks in we are basically top 5 defensively... the issue is on offence.

Siakam is your best offensive creator overall and its by a margin because of his unique combination of two way play, physical tools and his skill development. It's just many people don't appreciate it. That is perfectly fine... but again I don't think its a good trade for what we want and need.

I will go as far as to say if you swap siakam and KD yes you get an upgrade that is clear and in the way you need it even with the defensive drop off but I wouldn't necessarily do that trade either because you want to have Siakam paired with other good players.

I think it may be time to look at other players to use as trade assets unless you have a clear cut reason why siakam shouldn't be on the team. I think this team will have Siakam for the forseeable future. That is that. Not saying you have to agree with it although I am curious to hear your honest genuine gripes and we can chat about it. If you don't have any real gripes though... then it may be time to look at different potential trade targets. Would Bam be nice on this team.. Yes but I think management will do everything they can to hold onto Siakam, Barnes, and Anunoby. This is something I have discussed ever since Barnes was drafted.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

but why would they do that?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Mcconell is a good target.. chicago isn't giving up one of their two best defenders on their entire team especially since the other one is struggling with his physical rehab.
                    TJ McConnel plays for the Pacers, not for the Bulls.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

but why would they do that?
                      Of course they would never do it, unless the fans started tuning out. Dan asked the question: who should be getting this egregious amount of money generated, the owners or players? There’s a 3rd party in the equation: the customer. They could use some of the money to subsidize tickets for those who can’t afford the ridiculous prices. That would be a socially responsible thing to do and good for their image, for example. Some companies give loyalty rebates.

None of this will ever happen, though. The owners are focused on turning the franchises into billion dollar equity gains. The players are locked in on achieving multi generational wealth. Neither side truly cares about the fans, because the fans are buying this stuff like crack right now. Heck, even us plebes posting in RR on a Sunday, contributes in a small way to the eyeballs and attention that the league can monetize from networks and advertisers.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

The league does have parity with the current setup. Milwaukee just won the championship. So did a non tax paying Toronto team. The current system is great and allows everyone to have an equal shot.
                        Whoa, which Toronto team won the chip without paying the tax?
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

They get half the revenues. It's our fault these guys get paid more than Mandela or Ghandi, we spend our money on sports.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

TJ McConnel plays for the Pacers, not for the Bulls.
                            I am aware I was making two separate points but didn't make that clear sorry.

Comment

• Never thought Boston would include Jaylen Brown, but here we are.

Comment

They get half the revenues. It's our fault these guys get paid more than Mandela or Ghandi, we spend our money on sports.
                                Is there a breakdown of which revenues the players get half of? Is it just the TV and sponsorship deals or does it extend beyond that to stuff like tickets?

Comment

Working...
                                X