Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    Never thought Boston would include Jaylen Brown, but here we are.

Hmmmmm, Tatum and KD. In a weird way I think they would be worse next season if that trade happens.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Hmmmmm, Tatum and KD. In a weird way I think they would be worse next season if that trade happens.
      They definitely could be depending on who else they give up. They'll have Timelord, KD and Brogdon, all 3 are injury prone.

Comment

Is there a breakdown of which revenues the players get half of? Is it just the TV and sponsorship deals or does it extend beyond that to stuff like tickets?
        All basketball-related revenues. So some stuff like box suite incomes and arena sponsorships that are tied into multiple sports get only partially counted, but basically everything directly related to basketball (game sponsorships, TV revenue, ticket sales, merchandise sales, food and drink at games, etc) counts toward the pot that gets split equally between players and teams.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• With Brown now in the picture, there is no way we beat that unless we include Siakam. Feels like Boston has read the tea leaves and doesn't think Brown will stick around once his contract ends.. or he's looking at a super max, and they don't want to give that to him. Or they feel like they have a window and want to open it up.

Good to see Brooklyn asking for more. Brown+White and 1 pick is not enough IMO.

Comment

• Also it looks like the Raptors were one of the teams inquiring about Mitchell. This is based on a Shams Charania article (I don't have an Athletic membership anymore).

But the teams were NY, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Sacramento, Toronto and Washington

This could be a leverage ploy by Ainge.. or we did have interest. Mitchell just doesn't seem like a fit. He's undersized but also doesn't play defense. But if we want an offensive punch in the line up, there aren't that many better than Mitchell that can get you buckets.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Also it looks like the Raptors were one of the teams inquiring about Mitchell. This is based on a Shams Charania article (I don't have an Athletic membership anymore).

But the teams were NY, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Sacramento, Toronto and Washington

This could be a leverage ploy by Ainge.. or we did have interest. Mitchell just doesn't seem like a fit. He's undersized but also doesn't play defense. But if we want an offensive punch in the line up, there aren't that many better than Mitchell that can get you buckets.
              It depends... if they think they can improve his defence FVV and Trent works... but with less picks... or alternatively gtj with a boat load of picks ... the issue with gtj + fvv being out going ... you run into the problem of having a back court that is far too short.... if you sent the two then there may not be an issue but from Utah's end they may not want to be good right away.

I like mitchell assuming he can improve his defence... because he is under contract for ... i think 3-4 more years and is still very young. The question is.. would he play more defence?

Comment

With Brown now in the picture, there is no way we beat that unless we include Siakam. Feels like Boston has read the tea leaves and doesn't think Brown will stick around once his contract ends.. or he's looking at a super max, and they don't want to give that to him. Or they feel like they have a window and want to open it up.

Good to see Brooklyn asking for more. Brown+White and 1 pick is not enough IMO.
                Well, that's the rub. If the Raptors were going to offer Siakam, I'm sure it would be in conjunction with a much lesser pick package as well.

Seems like the Nets want the best of both worlds, but they will probably have to pick one or the other - decent players and great pick haul? Or the one really good player, and limited futures? Who knows which way they go... But you are right, I doubt the Raps include Siakam, so if the Nets decide they want that one guy, Boston has the better offer right now. I think the Raps still have the best current offer if they want upside and futures more so than a single talent, but it's getting more competitive for the moment.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Shams said the Suns are out on KD, Heat and Raptors are still in pursuit, but now that Boston and Brown are in the picture, its going to be tough. Unles we offer Pascal, Fred and picks, we can't beat the Celtics' package, and we shouldn't offer that anyway.

Perhaps Boston realized Brown may not stick around after his contract is up, if so, its smart to potentially trade for 4 years of KD, but I'm not sure it makes them significantly better.

Comment

The contracts the players are getting are stupid. $60M a year for anyone is insane and at the same time telling of how much revenue owners are making off these teams. I've heard zero complaints from any ownership about the money they are paying the players. In fact the complaints, if any, are probably that they can't pay them more and field more competitive teams.
                    The lens you are looking through though, is a fan where the team can conceivably pay up if they want to. Fans of small market teams know they have no chance on the first dropping of the ball and just have to be happy to watch professional ball.

A professional league should have X disparity between the lowest you can pay in team salary and the absolute most (hard cap).

Baseball is the same where the Yankees and Dodgers have 230 and 290M dollar payrolls while Cleveland and the Baltimore Orioles at under $30M! Think about that, ~1/10 of the highest paying teams.

Both those lower paying teams have a lower team payroll than 15 single MLB players.

Raptors fans were just happy to have an NBA team for years, then happy to be competitive for a further period. But there are other franchises that never get a sniff and realistically, never even plan to have a sniff. It's not right imo.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Well, that's the rub. If the Raptors were going to offer Siakam, I'm sure it would be in conjunction with a much lesser pick package as well.

Seems like the Nets want the best of both worlds, but they will probably have to pick one or the other - decent players and great pick haul? Or the one really good player, and limited futures? Who knows which way they go... But you are right, I doubt the Raps include Siakam, so if the Nets decide they want that one guy, Boston has the better offer right now. I think the Raps still have the best current offer if they want upside and futures more so than a single talent, but it's getting more competitive for the moment.
                      Brooklyn is smart to get everything they can. From what I'm seeing through online chatter is that the Nets were looking for Smart instead of White. So it might be more about the incoming talent vs the pick package.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

It depends... if they think they can improve his defence FVV and Trent works... but with less picks... or alternatively gtj with a boat load of picks ... the issue with gtj + fvv being out going ... you run into the problem of having a back court that is far too short.... if you sent the two then there may not be an issue but from Utah's end they may not want to be good right away.

I like mitchell assuming he can improve his defence... because he is under contract for ... i think 3-4 more years and is still very young. The question is.. would he play more defence?
                        I don't see why Utah would want either Fred or Gary. They are both UFA's at the end of the year. Fred is also a bit older and doesn't help them if they are rebuilding. They would likely want a boatload of picks like they got for Gobert.

I suspect Ainge is just driving to drive up his market so that they could get a desperate team like NY or Sacramento to throw in more picks.

I just don't see how Mitchell makes sense as a Raptor. He's the complete opposite of the type of guys we've been looking at. No size. He's a poor defender. Needs the ball in his hands a lot, etc.

Comment

I don't see why Utah would want either Fred or Gary. They are both UFA's at the end of the year. Fred is also a bit older and doesn't help them if they are rebuilding. They would likely want a boatload of picks like they got for Gobert.

I suspect Ainge is just driving to drive up his market so that they could get a desperate team like NY or Sacramento to throw in more picks.

I just don't see how Mitchell makes sense as a Raptor. He's the complete opposite of the type of guys we've been looking at. No size. He's a poor defender. Needs the ball in his hands a lot, etc.
                          they reportedly wanted OG and gary in the past for Rudy... too much in my opinion but yeah. I don't disagree though

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

They definitely could be depending on who else they give up. They'll have Timelord, KD and Brogdon, all 3 are injury prone.
                            And Boston did this before with Hayward and Kyrie where Tatum took a back seat to another player and it threw the teams chemistry off. They've played their best basketball with Tatum as Batman and Brown as Robin, but they are about to potentially throw the chemistry off again.

Comment

• The Celtics don't NEED KD and potentially could backfire on what already is a Finals contender

Comment

• Have to say, this seems like a Nets leak, Windhorst is saying the Boston offer is pretty old, not recent, and I doubt Boston would be happy to have this offer out there (Brown certainly won't be happy). So hard to trust that they are even leaking a reliable offer (hence two different stories from the heavy hitters). Just trying to juice the market.

Now, if a real Jaylen Brown package is really out there, it's likely the best one. But hard to parse why this leak is out there if those discussions are ongoing...
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X