Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Barnes looks really impressive though. We suddenly have Karl Malone on our team, and he can dribble the ball. So that's exciting!
    Well one thing he did look gassed out a few times. You add some weight with some muscles & those things will require more oxygen.

Will eventually figure it out.

Comment

• There was a player with some Raptors gear on who I didn't recognized (6:05) I thought it might be the new guy (Gabe Brown) but I am not sure.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

So far under the switchable system post Leonard and Gasol and Serge have produced the Tampa Tank and a first round exit.
        It produced Aaron Baynes and Alex Len and Khem Birch and by default cuz they sucked canal water Achiwua was pressed into service playing more minutes than a small ball C should against bigger stronger players.
        Not stellar.
        If once again we lack rim protection and defensive rebounding (unless our project big man blossoms exponentially beyond expectations) we should expect the same results as this year.... an early exit in the playoffs.

Again... Achiwua is a desirable member of the Raps core... just not as the long term starting 5.
        Tampa tank was 100% not the switchable system. We were playing Lowry and Fred together. Baynes and Len aren't switchable. Precious wasn't on the team yet. Neither was Scottie.

Your whole analysis here starts with a faulty premise.
        Last edited by Primer; Thu Aug 4, 2022, 01:32 PM.

Comment

So far under the switchable system post Leonard and Gasol and Serge have produced the Tampa Tank and a first round exit.
          It produced Aaron Baynes and Alex Len and Khem Birch and by default cuz they sucked canal water Achiwua was pressed into service playing more minutes than a small ball C should against bigger stronger players.
          Not stellar.
          If once again we lack rim protection and defensive rebounding (unless our project big man blossoms exponentially beyond expectations) we should expect the same results as this year.... an early exit in the playoffs.

Again... Achiwua is a desirable member of the Raps core... just not as the long term starting 5.
          The Raptors don't have a starting "5-man". They also don't have a starting 4-man, 3-man, 2-man or 1-man. You need to stop thinking like this cause you're looking for something that doesn't exist in Raptorland.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Tampa tank was 100% not the switchable system. We were playing Lowry and Fred together. Baynes and Len aren't switchable. Precious wasn't on the team yet. Neither was Scottie.

yup we went in an entirely different direction after.

Comment

Achiwua is part of the Raps core corps going forward. Just not as the long term answer at the 5.
              perhaps... but for now he is... again I think they are truly committed to positionless basketball and seeing how far it takes them over a 3 year period at minimum. With minor tweaks here and there but nothing major ... anyone they bring in they will want to bring in without sacrificing that vision. It's the same reason why getting mitchell to pair with fred won't happen ... nor should it... its why I said for the mitchell idea that you would have to send out fred and gtj even if utah wouldn't get it. I don't think we will get mitchell just making a point here.

It is also why KD would be nice in this system because you aren't sacrificing that vision.

Koloko will become more important over time if he develops quickly enough. For now They have more than enough to focus on other areas.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                There was a player with some Raptors gear on who I didn't recognized (6:05) I thought it might be the new guy (Gabe Brown) but I am not sure.
                And the right answer was: Jarrett Culver who was in a Raptors gear due to just the pickup game...or was it....he is a free agent.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

And the right answer was: Jarrett Culver who was in a Raptors gear due to just the pickup game...or was it....he is a free agent.
                  Yeah it was Culver which was interesting.. we're at 20 players which is the max allowed for camp.. but that's still about a month away. I suspect we waive or trade Svi before camp starts to make room.

Culver was a former lottery pick for Minnesota. Back in 2019. #6 pick overall. We love reclamation projects.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Yeah it was Culver which was interesting.. we're at 20 players which is the max allowed for camp.. but that's still about a month away. I suspect we waive or trade Svi before camp starts to make room.

Culver was a former lottery pick for Minnesota. Back in 2019. #6 pick overall. We love reclamation projects.
                    3 seasons and looking like he is hanging to the NBA by a thread. This is why it's bad to be drafted by a crappy team that needs you to start producing right away instead of working on your flaws.

Probably gets an Exhibit 10 and be Raptors 905 bound if they release Svi before training camp (and if he is still around otherwise Jalen Harris)

Someone needs to fix his broken shot and maybe the Raptors can do it.

Comment

• OT:
                      Basketball star Brittney Griner sentenced to 9 years in Russian prison on drug charges

Comment

One of the things that get dispensed to you....among the thousand bits of advice .... is that you get what you pay for.
                        Fair point! But as you know there is a salary cap and the team has to make a roster within that cap. Precious will make $2.8 mill next season and Rudy Gobert will make $38 million and would have cost us probably Trent, OG, and multiple picks. Was there a free agent center available that is better than Precious? Would you be comfortable creating room for them by dumping 2 starters?
                        Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Thu Aug 4, 2022, 09:44 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

No.
                          They played Nurses switchable defense during the tank year..
                          The used Len and Baynes to do it.
                          And they came up well short before they pulled the plug after the trade deadline.

Then we got the next set of Cs in Birch and Achiwua .
                          Better on switching.. better on 3's.
                          Horrific on defense.
                          Last in defensive rebounds and last or second last in second chance points given up.

The game gets played on both ends of the floor.
                          You just can't give up that many offensive rebounds and second chance points and expect to win against good teams.
                          Thats why the interest in Gobert.
                          There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                          - TGO

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

yup we went in an entirely different direction after.
                            Same direction.... same switchable defense.
                            Better result as we made the playoffs instead of the lottery.

- TGO

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

The Raptors don't have a starting "5-man". They also don't have a starting 4-man, 3-man, 2-man or 1-man. You need to stop thinking like this cause you're looking for something that doesn't exist in Raptorland.
                              Yes they do have players starting in positions they are suited for.
                              Just not in one particular position..
                              And when you don't have a rim protector that can rebound at league average... you suddenly become a "positionless" basketball team.
                              It is what it is.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

Fair point! But as you know there is a salary cap and the team has to make a roster within that cap. Precious will make $2.8 mill next season and Rudy Gobert will make $38 million and would have cost us probably Trent, OG, and multiple picks. Was there a free agent center available that is better than Precious? Would you be comfortable creating room for them by dumping 2 starters?
                                I would be comfortable trading for a 5.
                                I would be comfortable signing one in free agency.
                                I would be comfortable drafting one in the top half of the drafts 1st round.
                                We need a big who can protect the rim and rebound or we are going out in the first round again when the game completely changes in the playoffs. .
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X