Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post
    They should have retired Bill's number league wide before he passed away. I actually love that they are retiring it league wide, he absolutely deserves the honour.

I'm with you guys on the clover, I cringed when I read that. I think a black circle with the 6 is sufficient for the other teams.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Michael Jordan's number... I doubt they retire Magic's or Bird's, they will find some way of honouring them though... Kareem is a tough one though... he's done so much on the court and off of it... if they did, I would be cool with it.
    They just added a conference final mvp trophy and the west is named after magic and east is named after bird. So they did find some way of honoring them.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

They just added a conference final mvp trophy and the west is named after magic and east is named after bird. So they did find some way of honoring them.
      I mean to be fair jordan is like THE premier basketball brand shoe...

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

i think its about the impact he had beyond the game
        All the guys I mentioned had big impacts beyond the game too. Especially Kareem.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

oh cool, didn't know they did that. Those guys alone resuscitated the NBA.

Comment

I mean to be fair jordan is like THE premier basketball brand shoe...
            But the NBA doesn't own the Jordan brand. They are a private company under the Nike umbrella. They pay Jordan for the rights to put his image on their jersey. It's not some form of recognition like West was do the logo. Or Bird/Magic are to the East/West trophies, and Russell is to the FMVP.

Comment

..... tony parker... you mean the guy who ... literally was a finals MVP multi-time all nba and multi-time all-star. You have VERY high praise for a guy who has barely even shown a flash
              Poor man's TP.
              that's his ceiling.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I suppose. Just not sure in what circumstance the Raps are going to be running much Flynn/Koloko pick and roll. Where would that rank on the top 100 Raptors sets/plays/actions? 974th?
                Hard to say. If it starts working for them, it will quickly move up the rank. I'm just remembering how highly Flynn was ranked as a PnR initiator in his conference. Kolocko looked smooth as hell in the Rico Hines video with Fred running the PnR with him. As you know that particular set isn't a big part of the Raptors action. But with a top initiator, and a big who feasted off of it in college, it might work out for them. I personally would love to see the rook get a good start with something meant to be as easy as it can be in the NBA, and with Flynn redeeming himself by being a maestro at conducting the tune, so much the better.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

All the guys I mentioned had big impacts beyond the game too. Especially Kareem.
                  Kareem yes but it started with russell especially on the basketball front in terms of truly taking a stand on certain things. And lakers fans never treated Kareem like how Boston fans treated Bill. They literally broke into his house and shat on his bed.

When they refused to serve him food at a restaurant in I believe Kentucky... he basically said nah I am not playing in the exhibition game. Obviously, this isn't about comparing struggles but Russell came before and thus he naturally really did pave the way in MANY ways. Russell Marched with King if I am not mistaken... Kareem went on and has even written about being inspired toward social justice and activism.

Each person played a big role in there own part... the job is to take the baton in the race and run your section and leave it off better than when you entered when you hand it off to the next.

Comment

Kareem yes but it started with russell especially on the basketball front in terms of truly taking a stand on certain things. And lakers fans never treated Kareem like how Boston fans treated Bill. They literally broke into his house and shat on his bed.

When they refused to serve him food at a restaurant in I believe Kentucky... he basically said nah I am not playing in the exhibition game. Obviously, this isn't about comparing struggles but Russell came before and thus he naturally really did pave the way in MANY ways. Russell Marched with King if I am not mistaken... Kareem went on and has even written about being inspired toward social justice and activism.

Each person played a big role in there own part... the job is to take the baton in the race and run your section and leave it off better than when you entered when you hand it off to the next.
                    Taking stand on things IS NOT basketball related, and not promoting the sport.
                    When Russell marched with King, that didn't bring in new fans.
                    When the NBA stood with BLM and became involved in politics, many fans got turned off and started unfollowing the games.
                    This is why you never hear Lebron criticize China.

Playing the game in the Olympics and in other countries is how you promote the sport.
                    Guys like Magic, Bird and MJ brought in tons of new fans by doing that.

Last edited by Kagemusha; Thu Aug 11, 2022, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

When the NBA stood with BLM and became involved in politics, many fans got turned off and started unfollowing the games.

Playing the game in the Olympics and in other countries is how you promote the sport.
                      I think you are missing the point. Who cares if you lose those fans... some things are more important. I think the NBA is doing just fine.

Comment

basketball has always been a more progressive league.

Also somethings are bigger than basketball. Lebron ... respectfully didn't know much about China.

Many fans turned off games but that isn't a reason to not take a stand for what is right. Especially when it effects the vast majority of the communities that hte players are a part of.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

I think you are missing the point. Who cares if you lose those fans... some things are more important. I think the NBA is doing just fine.
                          Respectfully no, because political issues, like religion, are divisive and takes away the purity of the sport.
                          Fans watch the games, in general, to get relief from the stresses of life, to be entertained.
                          Taking political stands is not the way to promote the sport.

Comment

Respectfully no, because political issues, like religion, are divisive and takes away the purity of the sport.
                            Fans watch the games, in general, to get relief from the stresses of life, to be entertained.
                            I understand why you are saying that because you are taking the hardlined stance of saying sports is a work place and no talking about things outside of work at the work place.... but you are fundementally misunderstanding how the NBA has marketed itself over the years by supporting these players in these specific ways. Has it always been as vocal as it was during the bubble? No, but it hasn't not pushed the envelope on some of these issues... and in many ways more so than other sports like the NFL.

But if we are going down the road of having no political issues and other factors... Couldn't you not make the argument about things like American sports always putting the military into their games... flying jets overhead etc.. that at its core is a political statement regardless of your support for said things... if you just wanted the true "purity of sport" then take away all imagery in its totality and not pick and choose. no national anthem, no nothing just the purity of the sport and ... oh yeah no sponsorships too.

Because purity of the sport and sponsorships of any kind aren't necessarily part of the entertainment aside from the current funding of it obviously but hypothetically THAT would be the purity.

But also no something are bigger than basketball and some ppl especially those in the past have risked their careers to make stands in different ways.

As they say if you don't like that you don't like NBA basketball folks.

And before Joey says we are getting off topic...its the off season... and we are talking directly about the NBA.

If you want me to boil it down even further.. alot of stuff goes back down to the money. Look no further than the amount of money the NFL gets from the American Military.

Comment

Or players do it because they want to have a say/are passionate on things outside of only promoting basketball.

Comment

you think the nba is ruing the lost opportunity to bring in fans that didn't support basic human rights?

Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                                history tells us that without the attention BLM brought the ppl responsible for the murders of george floyd, breonna taylor, and ahmaud arbery never would've been held accountable. instead they've been sentenced to lengthy prison sentences or likely will be in the future. that's progress

Comment

Working...
                                X