Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

you are repeating me. but not adding to this at all. I never said that you cant but I am saying by its very nature this is how they have chosen to market it . Correlation but not causation.

The poor part was one aspect though I brought up other parts specifically to do with Masai.

Like one of the reasons why Masai is such a coveted individual as an executive is because he has an impact that goes beyond the sport of basketball.
    Dude, Masai can conduct clinics anywhere he wants even when he's not involved in any issues. Because he is an NBA executive, not because of his stance on certain issues. He is coveted because of his track record as a WINNING executive.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
      There's a reason Joey hates these types of discussion.
      There's no place for politics in sports, my friends.
      As MJ said- even them Republicans buy shoes.
      Sorry for derailing this thread even more, but everything is political. If you think somethings not political, it just means you’re own ideology is dominant and therefore you are comfortable. Ideology permeates through everything we do and everything we think. Everything you do is a political statement whether you like it or not. This isn’t a good or bad thing, rather it should be something people are aware of when they say “keep the politics out of my X”, in this case sports. A heterosexual romance in a straightforward action movie is inherently political but it aligns with the dominant ideology so is therefore considered by the masses apolitical.

ok, let’s go back to sports. I’d take Pascal first out of any of those guys, and I’m not sure it’s that close. None of them are 1A guys and Pascal is the perfect second best player in basically any context. Put Brown, Simmons, Ingram, Murray on the 2019 raptors and we probably don’t win.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post

Sorry for derailing this thread even more, but everything is political. If you think somethings not political, it just means you’re own ideology is dominant and therefore you are comfortable. Ideology permeates through everything we do and everything we think. Everything you do is a political statement whether you like it or not. This isn’t a good or bad thing, rather it should be something people are aware of when they say “keep the politics out of my X”, in this case sports. A heterosexual romance in a straightforward action movie is inherently political but it aligns with the dominant ideology so is therefore considered by the masses apolitical.

ok, let’s go back to sports. I’d take Pascal first out of any of those guys, and I’m not sure it’s that close. None of them are 1A guys and Pascal is the perfect second best player in basically any context. Put Brown, Simmons, Ingram, Murray on the 2019 raptors and we probably don’t win.
        I guess my point is to just keep mum on those things, like how MJ and Kobe did it,
        which didn't tarnish their rep in any way and are still respected by all.

I'd take Pascal over anyone in that list too.

Comment

Dude, Masai can conduct clinics anywhere he wants even when he's not involved in any issues. Because he is an NBA executive, not because of his stance on certain issues. He is coveted because of his track record as a WINNING executive.

he and the raptors have taken a purposeful stance to building courts not just holding a clinic which has affected the scouting landscape throughout the NBA I feel like.. and I say this respectfully ... without going through every other argument.. focusing on this one, in particular, you are missing out on a lot of nuance to put out that you think that the NBA is run or should be run in a black and white manner. Sports are not and the NBA in particular is not.

Comment

I guess my point is to just keep mum on those things, like how MJ and Kobe did it,

Kobe was very vocal advocate for womens sports.. some ppl would say that is political. But also kobe did have controversy in his time so it is possible that he waited till the right itme to do that.

Comment

I guess all of us wants racism to end.
              Problem is the harder you push your agenda, the less positive result comes out.

Change has to be organic.
              Every civil rights gain in the USA has followed massive protests and riots. It has literally never happened organically. If you don't aggressively push your agenda nothing will ever change and history makes that crystal clear.

Comment

also the fact that he wins is part of his brand but its everything as a whole. because there are people who have won more than Masai. But again if you don't like it... then you are effectively taking issue with the entire league and that is something you have to rectify with yourself.... I have a friend who stopped watching but I am not suggesting that. I am suggesting that guys like Russell and their impact was winning but also went BEYOND winning on the field/court.

Comment

• Comment

he and the raptors have taken a purposeful stance to building courts not just holding a clinic which has affected the scouting landscape throughout the NBA I feel like.. and I say this respectfully ... without going through every other argument.. focusing on this one, in particular, you are missing out on a lot of nuance to put out that you think that the NBA is run or should be run in a black and white manner. Sports are not and the NBA in particular is not.
                    Not missing any nuance at all, from a pure basketball perspective, which by the way IS the way to do things.
                    Building courts etc.... anything basketball related is what I mean and that should already be obvious.

Comment

also the fact that he wins is part of his brand but its everything as a whole. because there are people who have won more than Masai. But again if you don't like it... then you are effectively taking issue with the entire league and that is something you have to rectify with yourself.... I have a friend who stopped watching but I am not suggesting that. I am suggesting that guys like Russell and their impact was winning but also went BEYOND winning on the field/court.
                      I didn't have to rectify anything.
                      If you're saying that to me, then you're also effectively saying that Kobe and Jordan did it the wrong way.
                      Everyone is entitled to their own opinions based on their beliefs. That's something you hold on to as long as you believe firmly in it. Also advocating women's basketball is NOT an issue at all. You're overly stretching things just to prove your point.

Comment

I didn't have to rectify anything.
                        If you're saying that to me, then you're also effectively saying that Kobe and Jordan did it the wrong way.
                        Everyone is entitled to their own opinions based on their beliefs. That's something you hold on to as long as you believe firmly in it. Also advocating women's basketball is NOT an issue at all. You're overly stretching things just to prove your point.
                        I did not say that kobe did it in the wrong way I did not even make comparisons.. I merely am saying that you can't get mad at Russell or any player for expressing their opinions or deciding to do advocacy in order to better their community. You are unnecessarily pontificating upon something that I didn't express.

I also outlined why Kobe may not have been as vocal until after his oplaying but also the issues in life and in the league in the early 90s to even the early 2000s are VERY different than the ones when Russell play...

I made zero comparisons except to respond to the ones you made. You made the comparison of Kareem and I pointed out that Kareem came after literally was born later and gives Russell a lot of credit.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Every civil rights gain in the USA has followed massive protests and riots. It has literally never happened organically. If you don't aggressively push your agenda nothing will ever change and history makes that crystal clear.
                          On paper yeah.
                          But why are we still have to riot for something that has supposedly been changed decades ago?

Comment

Not missing any nuance at all, from a pure basketball perspective, which by the way IS the way to do things.
                            Building courts etc.... anything basketball related is what I mean and that should already be obvious.
                            but my point is within that you have a gm that literally has also used his platform and press conferences to promote that. They literally had FVV talking to some lady who had had a big hand in community development and leadership in minority communities to help with injustice and its on their you tube channel this stuff isn't exactly hidden. Why are we pretending that this isn't the case.

Other than you saying.... "grumble grumble" I am grumpy because they talk about stuff I don't like. Other than that this is how the league is and has been .. its just some issues are more contentious than others... and just to be 100% clear players can discuss one aspect and not necessarily have to have an opinion on every aspect.

Comment

I did not say that kobe did it in the wrong way I did not even make comparisons.. I merely am saying that you can't get mad at Russell or any player for expressing their opinions or deciding to do advocacy in order to better their community. You are unnecessarily pontificating upon something that I didn't express.

I also outlined why Kobe may not have been as vocal until after his oplaying but also the issues in life and in the league in the early 90s to even the early 2000s are VERY different than the ones when Russell play...

I made zero comparisons except to respond to the ones you made. You made the comparison of Kareem and I pointed out that Kareem came after literally was born later and gives Russell a lot of credit.

Read your reply one more time.
                              You said my stance is something I have to rectify with myself, didn't you?
                              I share the same apolitical stance with MJ and Kobe, therefore if I were wrong then they have to be wrong too.

Comment

Are you sure alone is loved by all? No sure he’s the guy you should have pointed to. He had a bit of a checkered past…

Comment

Working...
                                X