Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

On paper yeah.
    But why are we still have to riot for something that has supposedly been changed decades ago?
    What specifically are you talking about here?

If it's BLM protests they are happening because of the ongoing terrible treatment of black people by police. It wasn't fixed decades ago. Those protests have also been rather effective. Police officers who kill innocent black people are now starting to be charged and convicted as criminals, something that was non existent prior to the BLM protests.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

Are you sure alone is loved by all? No sure he’s the guy you should have pointed to. He had a bit of a checkered past…
      Not associated with his being apolitical.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

What specifically are you talking about here?

If it's BLM protests they are happening because of the ongoing terrible treatment of black people by police. It wasn't fixed decades ago. Those protests have also been rather effective. Police officers who kill innocent black people are now starting to be charged and convicted as criminals, something that was non existent prior to the BLM protests.
        That's a police problem, any officer be them white OR black needs to be punished for any wrongdoing.
        Isn't that a very basic thing?

Comment

• I think the mods have asked nicely twice to get back to basketball

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post
            I think the mods have asked nicely twice to get back to basketball
            I have tried to focus on how this affects basketball more specifically the raptors and how they operate. That is how I have answered all questions more or less on this topic.

I will reiterate players have every right ... within the NBA guidelines to advocate for their communities. This is something that has made the NBA unique and the raptors one of the leaders of these issues.

Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Fri Aug 12, 2022, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Read your reply one more time.
              You said my stance is something I have to rectify with myself, didn't you?
              I share the same apolitical stance with MJ and Kobe, therefore if I were wrong then they have to be wrong too.
              I am just going to copy and paste this from above:

I did not say that kobe did it in the wrong way I did not even make comparisons.. I merely am saying that you can't get mad at Russell or any player for expressing their opinions or deciding to do advocacy in order to better their community. You are unnecessarily pontificating upon something that I didn't express.

I also outlined why Kobe may not have been as vocal until after his oplaying but also the issues in life and in the league in the early 90s to even the early 2000s are VERY different than the ones when Russell play...

I made zero comparisons except to respond to the ones you made. You made the comparison of Kareem and I pointed out that Kareem came after literally was born later and gives Russell a lot of credit.

I think you are conflating the notion that Russell is the greatest ONLY because of his social justice ... I am saying that both his on court performance and work was phenomenal and I would point to thinking basketball the youtube channel who has a greatest peaks ever series which covers all alot of greats since the ABA NBA merger. Heck I will come out and say it. I think I accidentally chose Wilt Chamberlain a few years back in that great fantasy draft thing.. and I regret not taking Russell. Russell was a professional, and a winner in every sense of the word and his impact went well beyond the on court product but yes if you ONLY want to talk about his on court acumen and still try to discount it... I suggest you go back and look at him vs wilt.... he basically was a much better and had his greatest impact as a defender. Even the way he blocked shots and kept the ball in play was something that at the time set him apart.

Comment

• I was referring to this quote-

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

also the fact that he wins is part of his brand but its everything as a whole. because there are people who have won more than Masai. But again if you don't like it... then you are effectively taking issue with the entire league and that is something you have to rectify with yourself....

..and I'm tired of this discussion that's going nowhere, you have your point I have mine.
                Let's just agree to disagree and move on.

Comment

That's a police problem, any officer be them white OR black needs to be punished for any wrongdoing.
                  Isn't that a very basic thing?
                  I think when things directly affect players communities they not only want to reach out and help considering it has happened to them.... but also many of these players see that this could have been them so they feel impacted by it. Again it is there right according to the CBA to do this and the NBA promotes and supports it so if you have such an issue. you basically don't like how the NBA markets and promotes and runs its business.. I don't know what to tell you but you can always feel free to write a letter to silver ... or heck Masai.

The players decided to specifically play in the bubble and this was one of the deals. You want us to play then you gotta work with us to promote a platform that we want. Again if you didn't like the bubble you didn't have to watch the bubble but that was part of the negotiations. They did that to enact change.

Heck even CBA could be considered political. I don't think any athelete should "shut up" and dribble or anything equivalent.

It obviously isn't the only thing that makes me proud of the raptors but makes me happy.

A youtuber that you yourself have talked about liking has discussed these things.

Part of being a good player has to do with being willing to sacrifice yourself for the betterment of the team and the situation.. whether it before future financial gain of future generations (in the NBA) or worker conditions or whatever.

Much of this stuff has bled or was bleeding into the game at one point or another. When lebron moved to LA even lebron being lebron he had just moved and they painted the n-word on his house. So if you are only dehumanized for large portions of your life like some people are then yes ...its not about proving something but fighting for your right and you will find ways to do that.

Simply put it is what it is. Is everyone the same no... but many are.. Even guys like Johnathan Isaac who my friend likes ... he didn't kneel or hold hands or what ever but then even though he took a stance of being "apolitical" he legit wrote a book and went on fox news... so to quote a few other users... most things if not the vast majority of things are political even if in the most minor of ways.

Don't know what to tell you. We can pretend like certain things don't happen but they do. Basketball is one of the only ways that some of these communities have for any sort of social mobility.

Lastly not taking a stand can effect your ability to market your products in the future especially if it seems like you were.. complacent with things that are wrong. I mean it is your very right to .. I don't know burn a jersey if Bosh leaves or something of that nature... I personally think at the very bare minimum donate it to someone who would rather it ...but thats just me.

Comment

I'm referring to this quote.
                    so because I said the entire league... sure ok lets correct that.. with the vast majority of the league.

If these guys didn't fight for it they wouldn't potentially be in the league.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I am just going to copy and paste this from above:

I think you are conflating the notion that Russell is the greatest ONLY because of his social justice ... I am saying that both his on court performance and work was phenomenal and I would point to thinking basketball the youtube channel who has a greatest peaks ever series which covers all alot of greats since the ABA NBA merger. Heck I will come out and say it. I think I accidentally chose Wilt Chamberlain a few years back in that great fantasy draft thing.. and I regret not taking Russell. Russell was a professional, and a winner in every sense of the word and his impact went well beyond the on court product but yes if you ONLY want to talk about his on court acumen and still try to discount it... I suggest you go back and look at him vs wilt.... he basically was a much better and had his greatest impact as a defender. Even the way he blocked shots and kept the ball in play was something that at the time set him apart.
                      Nope, not at all.
                      Russell is great but the accolades are a bit over the top.

Comment

Nope, not at all.
                        Russell is great but the accolades are a bit over the top.
                        if they are over the top how so.. and how are they not deserved? what specifically are you taking issue.. be specific and try to be coherent.

Bill Russell on Kobe btw
                        https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/...ere-my-own-son

Kobe directly discussed both on and off court impacts

When Russell was on the physical court playing he would be crushing opponents but off the court he made his points and impact.. there is nothing wrong with that.

He was literally one of Kobe's mentors so not sure why this is an us vs them.
                        Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Fri Aug 12, 2022, 07:55 PM.

Comment

if they are over the top how so.. and how are they not deserved? what specifically are you taking issue.. be specific and try to be coherent.

Bill Russell on Kobe btw
                          https://fadeawayworld.net/nba-media/...ere-my-own-son

Kobe directly discussed both on and off court impacts

When Russell was on the physical court playing he would be crushing opponents but off the court he made his points and impact.. there is nothing wrong with that.

He was literally one of Kobe's mentors so not sure why this is an us vs them.
                          The clover logo with 6 on every team's floor for one.

Sorry if you feel that I'm not being very clear on my statements.
                          1. Posting at work
                          2. Using a smartphone

Had to be quick and concise each time
                          Last edited by Kagemusha; Fri Aug 12, 2022, 09:45 PM.

Comment

The clover logo with 6 on every team's floor for one.

Sorry if you feel that I'm not being very clear on my statements.
                            1. Posting at work
                            2. Using a smartphone

Had to be quick and concise each time
                            so in terms of the specifics of WHAT is being done that is something that is fair to debate. I did not know they were doing a clover logo on every team's floor. I don't know if I personally like that. Retiring his jersey is fine.

Comment

so in terms of the specifics of WHAT is being done that is something that is fair to debate. I did not know they were doing a clover logo on every team's floor. I don't know if I personally like that. Retiring his jersey is fine.
                              Its a bit much, but that doesn't count as an accolade.

Comment

• No time to dissect each one but here's a useful article on that topic.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ted-nba-legend

Comment

Working...
                                X