Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

that is where I disagree. part of the player empowerment movement is about that.. now at its core they dont have to capitulate so yes to an extent they could play hardball but relationship management matters. Again I dont think he is that kind of player and frankly I wouldn't want that kind of player on the raptors team. More than likely he will becoming as a FA if he comes .... but him giving a list or more specifically saying I really only want to play in city x can shift the narrative even if its ever so slightly.

Him asking out in his first year as a max player is... not good and I dont think its good for the future contracts.. again though I dont sense he is like that.

This is not going to happen that way.
    We literally just saw Kevin Durant fail to leverage his way out.

Unless a player is willing to go to the lengths of Ben Simmons and just not play, and forego being paid, they need to be on a short term deal to have the leverage to threaten to walk.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

We literally just saw Kevin Durant fail to leverage his way out.

Unless a player is willing to go to the lengths of Ben Simmons and just not play, and forego being paid, they need to be on a short term deal to have the leverage to threaten to walk.
      it depends on a lot of othings.. they do not have any other options with durant. but again in general yes it can shift the narrative and put pressure it depends on other factors. .. for KD they have no one else reliable left on the team.. and were hoping.. but I am willing to bet if they don't win this year they lose Kyrie and KD will ask out again.

Comment

• Well I guess he found something more secure than a 905 stint.

Comment

• Not Raptors related but nice to see owners aren't above the law.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...lace-standards

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            Not Raptors related but nice to see owners aren't above the law.

chump change for him but yeah it is good

Comment

• Getting close.

Comment

Not Raptors related but nice to see owners aren't above the law.

From the article

The firm found that Sarver had used racially insensitive language in the workplace, including using the N-word when recounting other people’s statements on at least five occasions.

The investigation also confirmed that the Suns’ owner engaged in inequitable treatment of female employees, made “many” sex-related comments in the workplace – including inappropriate comments about female employees’ physical appearances – and treated team employees in a “demeaning and harsh” manner.
                The NBA banned Donald Sterling for life, and forced him to sell the Clippers, for arguably fewer transgressions.

I would like to think that most of us wouldn't simply be suspended for a year for the above actions, contingent on attending a 'workplace conduct training program'

Comment

• Not quite sure what suspending an owner means. So he can't go to live games or practices?

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

From the article

The NBA banned Donald Sterling for life, and forced him to sell the Clippers, for arguably fewer transgressions.

I would like to think that most of us wouldn't simply be suspended for a year for the above actions, contingent on attending a 'workplace conduct training program'
                    The Donald Sterling situation is what came to my mind when I read the article as well.

Not sure what all the differences are between the two investigations but if I recall correctly Sterling had a certain racist view about blacks whereas in this situation it seems more like Sarver is using words which are insensitive. Not necessarily identifying himself as a racist? Obviously there is another layer here with his comments towards female employees. Poor conduct for an owner regardless.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Not quite sure what suspending an owner means. So he can't go to live games or practices?
                      During his suspension, Sarver cannot:
                      • "Be present at any NBA or WNBA team facility, including any office, arena, or practice facility."
                      • "Attend or participate in any NBA or WNBA event or activity, including games, practices, or business partner activity."
                      • "Represent the Suns or Mercury in any public or private capacity."
                      • "Have any involvement with the business or basketball operations of the Suns or Mercury."
                      • "Have any involvement in the business, governance, or activities of either the NBA or WNBA, including attending or participating in meetings of either league's Board (and their associated Board committees)."

Comment

• I do find it slightly amusing that Wachtell fucking Lipton had this to say "Engaged in demeaning and harsh treatment of employees, including by yelling and cursing at them." They better fire 90% of their lawyers then.

Comment

During his suspension, Sarver cannot:
                          • "Be present at any NBA or WNBA team facility, including any office, arena, or practice facility."
                          • "Attend or participate in any NBA or WNBA event or activity, including games, practices, or business partner activity."
                          • "Represent the Suns or Mercury in any public or private capacity."
                          • "Have any involvement with the business or basketball operations of the Suns or Mercury."
                          • "Have any involvement in the business, governance, or activities of either the NBA or WNBA, including attending or participating in meetings of either league's Board (and their associated Board committees)."
                          So basically they gave him something closer to the Jalen Harris punishment as opposed to something closer to the Sterling punishment....

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post

From the article

i think there's a big difference between using the n-word in the pejorative/demeaning/oppressive sense, and repeating use of the word, as the portion of the article you quoted insinuates. the way i interpret that quote is sarver's use was recounting what someone else (presumably african-american) said, which is certainly insensitive and inappropriate but not the same as sterling (who was a notorious racist).

not to excuse sarver's behaviour

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              I do find it slightly amusing that Wachtell fucking Lipton had this to say "Engaged in demeaning and harsh treatment of employees, including by yelling and cursing at them." They better fire 90% of their lawyers then.
                              Steve Jobs was apparently notoriously abusive towards employees, and he was considered the gold standard of corporate leadership before he died.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i think there's a big difference between using the n-word in the pejorative/demeaning/oppressive sense, and repeating use of the word, as the portion of the article you quoted insinuates. the way i interpret that quote is sarver's use was recounting what someone else (presumably african-american) said, which is certainly insensitive and inappropriate but not the same as sterling (who was a notorious racist).

not to excuse sarver's behaviour
                                Raptors assistant coach, Earl Watson, was a key person in bringing Sarver's behavior to light. I mean, some of it is just plain stupid and immature, especially for an owner who leads and represents an organization.

One of the incidents detailed in the report was when Sarver used the n-word multiple times with Watson in the team locker room in 2016 following a loss to the Warriors. Sarver allegedly was asking the then-head coach why players like Draymond Green could use it on the court.

Holmes wrote in his report, "You know, why does Draymond Green get to run up the court and say [N-word]," Sarver, who is white, allegedly said, repeating the N-word several times in a row.

"You can't say that," Watson, who is Black and Hispanic, told Sarver.

"Why?" Sarver replied. "Draymond Green says [N-word]."

"You can't f---ing say that," Watson said again.

Holmes's reporting included several other times that Sarver used racist language or made lewd and misogynistic comments.
                                https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/05/su...-robert-sarver

Comment

Working...
                                X