No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not just the use of the N-word.. he was pretty gross.

More stuff in the thread.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Raptors assistant coach, Earl Watson, was a key person in bringing Sarver's behavior to light. I mean, some of it is just plain stupid and immature, especially for an owner who leads and represents an organization.

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/05/su...-robert-sarver
      So basically he's an idiot, but technically not a racist?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I would place my bet on - both.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Which again begs the perennial racial question of why blacks can use the N word amongst themselves, but taboo to non-blacks.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Which again begs the perennial racial question of why blacks can use the N word amongst themselves, but taboo to non-blacks.
            because realistically no matter what any one says there is a history of the word where it was originally used and still is used at times to dehumanize people particularly when its used by those who are not black.. Keep in mind you asked about the taboo nature specifically.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              It's not just the use of the N-word.. he was pretty gross.

More stuff in the thread.
              So, the n-word stuff aside, a lot of this sounds like stuff that happens at lots of big companies/firms. This feels like there was something more going on that maybe they couldn't prove or didn't want public and the NBA is sending a message. I imagine Sarver is choked cause he's likely done way worse and probably thought/thinks most of this stuff was funny and/or harmless. Also, I'm sure he's seen far worse (I know I have, like, way worse) and is probably pissed he is the one that got called out publicly.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

So, the n-word stuff aside, a lot of this sounds like stuff that happens at lots of big companies/firms. This feels like there was something more going on that maybe they couldn't prove or didn't want public and the NBA is sending a message. I imagine Sarver is choked cause he's likely done way worse and probably thought/thinks most of this stuff was funny and/or harmless. Also, I'm sure he's seen far worse (I know I have, like, way worse) and is probably pissed he is the one that got called out publicly.
                Are you saying because it happens at lots of big companies, and sometimes even worse things, that it's OK?

Call people out on their BS and make it the exception to act like that , not the norm. I'm not one of the over sensitive types that find things that are not truly there, but when is that blatant it needs to be shut down.
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

So basically they gave him something closer to the Jalen Harris punishment as opposed to something closer to the Sterling punishment....
                  So a year-long vacation.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

because realistically no matter what any one says there is a history of the word where it was originally used and still is used at times to dehumanize people particularly when its used by those who are not black.. Keep in mind you asked about the taboo nature specifically.
                    It's like saying that we can't call the Native people natives coz they were abused and discriminated too? They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized.
                    I guess my point is, and what constantly irritates me is that if they really wanted to get rid of labels, just call them Americans, period.

Comment

It's like saying that we can't call the Native people natives coz they were abused and discriminated too? They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized.
                      I guess my point is, and what constantly irritates me is that if they really wanted to get rid of labels, just call them Americans, period.
                      Not sure what it is you're attempting to articulate here.

'Natives' is not a word that holds the same power. Settlers used to refer to Indigenous people with other terminology which we've gotten away from -- see the Cleveland Guardians if you need an enormous example of an organization in America finally making a change in an attempt to lessen offence caused to a particular group of people. We now sometimes say Natives, (though, I'd say as a settler -- the terms First Nations and Indigenous might be even more respectful, and hence I choose to use them first.)

That 'other' heinous word this discussion sprung from has *historically* specifically been used to degrade a specific people who's humanity was stripped from them for hundreds of years as they were literally bought and sold, and who remain statistically, deliberately, economically disadvantaged because of systems that were created and perpetuated to keep them disadvantaged. Let alone the fact that their lives continue to be in far more danger than the rest of us, statistically.

(btw - you said of Indigenous people: "They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized." .... They're still being marginalized, very much so, in a great many ways. It's just that society is a little more woken up to some of the atrocities our Indigenous peoples have faced, and the injustices they continue to face. Hopefully settlers are on their way to doing better. But we're not there yet and have a long, long way to go.)

Lastly, you can't just "call them Americans." There's far, far too much inequity to just happily pretend like everybody's the same -- and that race has no impact on people's lives, identities or opportunities.

In any case, these conversations only ever get ugly and regressive over here on Everything Raptors...

Mods, might I suggest/implore that you move this conversation over to Sprechen Zie whatever the eff, and anybody who insists on asking why they're not allowed to employ a heinous word can discuss it over there?

Much love y'all.

Comment

• Let's get this back to basketball please
                        To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Hot take:

By the time he finishes his career, Scottie Barnes will be widely regarded as the best teammate of all time, in any sport.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post

Not sure what it is you're attempting to articulate here.

'Natives' is not a word that holds the same power. Settlers used to refer to Indigenous people with other terminology which we've gotten away from -- see the Cleveland Guardians if you need an enormous example of an organization in America finally making a change in an attempt to lessen offence caused to a particular group of people. We now sometimes say Natives, (though, I'd say as a settler -- the terms First Nations and Indigenous might be even more respectful, and hence I choose to use them first.)

That 'other' heinous word this discussion sprung from has *historically* specifically been used to degrade a specific people who's humanity was stripped from them for hundreds of years as they were literally bought and sold, and who remain statistically, deliberately, economically disadvantaged because of systems that were created and perpetuated to keep them disadvantaged. Let alone the fact that their lives continue to be in far more danger than the rest of us, statistically.

(btw - you said of Indigenous people: "They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized." .... They're still being marginalized, very much so, in a great many ways. It's just that society is a little more woken up to some of the atrocities our Indigenous peoples have faced, and the injustices they continue to face. Hopefully settlers are on their way to doing better. But we're not there yet and have a long, long way to go.)

Lastly, you can't just "call them Americans." There's far, far too much inequity to just happily pretend like everybody's the same -- and that race has no impact on people's lives, identities or opportunities.

In any case, these conversations only ever get ugly and regressive over here on Everything Raptors...

Mods, might I suggest/implore that you move this conversation over to Sprechen Zie whatever the eff, and anybody who insists on asking why they're not allowed to employ a heinous word can discuss it over there?

Much love y'all.
                            My point is that many still use the term natives, because like you pointed out, thay're 'respectfully' categorized as indigenous ( natives, indigenous, first nations- same banana) , when in fact they are THE real Canadians and Americans.

Anyway, i just can't help but point that out when the isaue of racism waa brought up.

It's almost October.
                            Let's all get back to basketball.

Comment

no that is a faulty analogy for several reasons.... the equivalent thing would be calling a native or aboriginal person a derogatory term. If you can't recognize that there is a difference, then I don't know what to say. You seem very insistent on bringing up your issues with this stuff. Also not everyone in america calls them Americans... in fact that is kind of the point. You want a world that currently doesn't exist and is taking time to get there.

regarding robert sarver there are multiple reasons why people are annoyed to say the least about the NBA's response. First of all, again this is very m ucuh a player's driven league. Secondly, yes racism still exists. Is it the same as it was in the 60's and 70's? No, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It also doesn't mean that these players don't face it.

And Berta I am making this about basketball and the nba.

Siakam is a perfect example look at the fact that raptors fans were treating him like nothing comparing him to animals and telling him to go back to africa.

Lebron James is told shut up and dribble but the same news host doesn't treat drew brees the same way. Phill Jackson's use of the term posse or other people referring to the majority of black people as thugs. Maybe you don't and that is good for you!!! gold star earned on the sticker report, but it still exists and more people do it than you may realize.

The NBA stands for these things and basketball is a global game.

I think if anyone is misunderstanding why racism still exists or this suns thing annoys them.. there are other forums or other parts perhaps of this forum that you can ask those questions or do research and get caught up on history and become educated.

I am more interested in whether or not the NBA starts to move towards more standardized ways of handling these problems because Sarver got a slap on the wrist but Sterling was forced to basically sell his team.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

no that is a faulty analogy for several reasons.... the equivalent thing would be calling a native or aboriginal person a derogatory term. If you can't recognize that there is a difference, then I don't know what to say. You seem very insistent on bringing up your issues with this stuff. Also not everyone in america calls them Americans... in fact that is kind of the point. You want a world that currently doesn't exist and is taking time to get there
                                See.
                                This is where you got it completely wrong.
                                The term aboriginal or native is already derogatory or disrespectful.
                                It was the name given to them, not by themselves- but by the colonizers who genocided them and stripped them of their land.

I want a world that is true, that is not hypocritical, that is free from racial bias.
                                You got it all backwards.
                                In fact the colonizers are the ones that should be given labels, NOT the original inhabitants of the land.

You want us to get there?
                                Are we really getting there?
                                How can we get there if people are still being labeled?
                                Start the real transformation by removing these labels.
                                Instead of African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, etc,,
                                just call them all Americans.
                                You don'T call the European settlers Euro-Americans anyway.
                                Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Sep 14, 2022, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X