Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

See.
    This is where you got it completely wrong.
    The term aboriginal or native is already derogatory or disrespectful.
    It was the name given to them, not by themselves- but by the colonizers who genocided them and stripped them of their land.

I want a world that is true, that is not hypocritical, that is free from racial bias.
    You got it all backwards.
    In fact the colonizers are the ones that should be given labels, NOT the original inhabitants of the land.

You want us to get there?
    Are we really getting there?
    How can we get there if people are still being labeled?
    Start the real transformation by removing these labels.
    Instead of African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, etc,,
    just call them all Americans.
    You don'T call the European settlers Euro-Americans anyway.
    This line of thinking assumes a homogenous experience, which we know is not true. Calling everyone from all backgrounds "Americans" would ignore the history of genocide, slavery and colonialism and would only really serve to make life easier for white people, which is easy enough already. It centres a white perspective, assuming using the correct label is as important as undoing centuries of systemic discrimination. If saying Euro-Americans sounds strange, it's because whiteness is seen as the default identity and doesn't need to be labeled. In this ideal society you write about but have no interest in creating, Euro-American might not sound so strange.

Comment

See.
      This is where you got it completely wrong.
      The term aboriginal or native is already derogatory or disrespectful.
      It was the name given to them, not by themselves- but by the colonizers who genocided them and stripped them of their land.

I want a world that is true, that is not hypocritical, that is free from racial bias.
      You got it all backwards.
      In fact the colonizers are the ones that should be given labels, NOT the original inhabitants of the land.

You want us to get there?
      Are we really getting there?
      How can we get there if people are still being labeled?
      Start the real transformation by removing these labels.
      Instead of African-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, Asian-Americans, etc,,
      just call them all Americans.
      You don'T call the European settlers Euro-Americans anyway.
      well actually there is a difference for black diaspora between africans african-americans and those from the caribbean.

what you want is nice and cute but it don't exist. in terms of language though aboriginal is actually a word that means indigenous to the land... so no its not derogatory.... and actually if you remember the football/baseball/othersports teams that have changed name you will remember there was derogatory word used to refer to them... washington football team ... clevelands baseball team.. yeah those are the names.. even the edmonton cfl team...

where as the nword ... is referred to no matter what no matter where you are. Jay-z said it best ... you can be rich, poor, educated, bad good, anything really but that is all you will be referred to ... that word.

Again remember how siakam was treated by the fan base... you would never see that same type of thing on with others who aren't black. People don't throw bananas on the court or rink for non-black players.. they do and have for black players to symbolize a sort of dehumanizing... there is a history of dehumanizing black individuals by calling them boy... and not referring to them as men... because by law they were not seen as fully men.. this isn't about comparing everyone's struggles.. stop straw-manning the conversation. Focusing on that word in particular that is the issue... the word did get "taken back" in a sort of way as a term sometimes used for endearment.

Put another way focusing on the n-word thing for the vast majority of black people it is a word that is SOMETIMES used between them but socially is taboo.....because of the history it is really a respect thing. I am sure that if you have a significant other... let's just say its a wife for the purpose of fleshing out this story... you wouldn't want people to randomly start calling your spouse sweet cheeks randomly unless you are ok with it.. IF you roll that way that is cool and there are some people who are black that are cool with it... feel free to try to seek them out to make yourself more comfortable.. but in general most ppl would not be ok with someone else calling there spouse weird odd pet names unless invited to or that it was clearer that there was some level of respect, understanding socially.

again lebron james had his house spray painted with that word in LA... siakam welp already gone on about that.. and it isn't just them. I also gave you other examples before with fox news.

Comment

• Chaz Deferens wrote: View Post

This line of thinking assumes a homogenous experience, which we know is not true. Calling everyone from all backgrounds "Americans" would ignore the history of genocide, slavery and colonialism and would only really serve to make life easier for white people, which is easy enough already. It centres a white perspective, assuming using the correct label is as important as undoing centuries of systemic discrimination. If saying Euro-Americans sounds strange, it's because whiteness is seen as the default identity and doesn't need to be labeled. In this ideal society you write about but have no interest in creating, Euro-American might not sound so strange.
        No.
        Being American is supposed to be color free.
        America denotes the country, not the color of the skin of its citizens.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

well actually there is a difference for black diaspora between africans african-americans and those from the caribbean.

what you want is nice and cute but it don't exist. in terms of language though aboriginal is actually a word that means indigenous to the land... so no its not derogatory.... and actually if you remember the football/baseball/othersports teams that have changed name you will remember there was derogatory word used to refer to them... washington football team ... clevelands baseball team.. yeah those are the names.. even the edmonton cfl team...

where as the nword ... is referred to no matter what no matter where you are. Jay-z said it best ... you can be rich, poor, educated, bad good, anything really but that is all you will be referred to ... that word.

Again remember how siakam was treated by the fan base... you would never see that same type of thing on with others who aren't black. People don't throw bananas on the court or rink for non-black players.. they do and have for black players to symbolize a sort of dehumanizing... there is a history of dehumanizing black individuals by calling them boy... and not referring to them as men... because by law they were not seen as fully men.. this isn't about comparing everyone's struggles.. stop straw-manning the conversation. Focusing on that word in particular that is the issue... the word did get "taken back" in a sort of way as a term sometimes used for endearment.

Put another way focusing on the n-word thing for the vast majority of black people it is a word that is SOMETIMES used between them but socially is taboo.....because of the history it is really a respect thing. I am sure that if you have a significant other... let's just say its a wife for the purpose of fleshing out this story... you wouldn't want people to randomly start calling your spouse sweet cheeks randomly unless you are ok with it.. IF you roll that way that is cool and there are some people who are black that are cool with it... feel free to try to seek them out to make yourself more comfortable.. but in general most ppl would not be ok with someone else calling there spouse weird odd pet names unless invited to or that it was clearer that there was some level of respect, understanding socially.

again lebron james had his house spray painted with that word in LA... siakam welp already gone on about that.. and it isn't just them. I also gave you other examples before with fox news.
          Nice and cute?
          That's probably how the slave owners described the visions and aspirations of Dr. King.

Comment

Nice and cute?
            That's probably how the slave owners described the visions and aspirations of Dr. King.
            Can we ban this dude already? Sick of his offtopic and racist crap. Honestly.

Comment

• Quirk wrote: View Post

Can we ban this dude already? Sick of his offtopic and racist crap. Honestly.
              Lol
              Explain how this dude is racist, dude.

It's like saying that Dr. King was racist.
              I guess that's a convenient way to avoid meaningful conversations, eh?

I'm just following the flow of discussions here, btw.
              Just replying to pertinent points that are being raised.

I even said let's get back to basketball a few convos back.
              Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Sep 14, 2022, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Lol
                Explain how this dude is racist, dude.

It's like saying that Dr. King was racist.
                I guess that's a convenient way to avoid meaningful conversations, eh?

I'm just following the flow of discussions here, btw.
                Just replying to pertinent points that are being raised.

I even said let's get back to basketball a few convos back.
                you remind me of this:

Comment

you remind me of this:

You have to dig a bit deeper, dude.

Oh btw-
                  https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...ies#post800881
                  Last edited by Kagemusha; Wed Sep 14, 2022, 01:14 PM.

Comment

You have to dig a bit deeper, dude.

Oh btw-
                    https://forums.raptorsrepublic.com/f...ies#post800881
                    what specific rule did I break? I said you reminds me of that? do you understand the context?

the character in the image was extremely not understanding of the importance of... you know not saying the n-word... which is exactly what you just asked about. I said it reminded me of that... but I don't see how that can be seen as breaking rules. It isn't a personal attack it is my opinion of what it reminded me of. its not racially hateful or derogatory... especially if you have seen the real life situation that happened or the cartoon that memed it.

The real man was very simple nice person but very misguided on this point. this conversation reminds me clearly of that.
                    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Wed Sep 14, 2022, 01:25 PM.

Comment

No.
                      Being American is supposed to be color free.
                      America denotes the country, not the color of the skin of its citizens.
                      it isn't though. and you are not even attempting to make these conversations about basketball any more again there are outside places that you can ask questions or either gain an understanding if you truly want to gain an understand or if you want to discuss this with like minded individuals again there are forums that relate to that where you may feel more comfortable. I think if you can't make this even adjacent to basketball then its time to just move on.

Comment

what specific rule did I break? I said you reminds me of that? do you understand the context?
                        On the cusp.

Attack ideas and opinions, not the poster.

Comment

it isn't though. and you are not even attempting to make these conversations about basketball any more again there are outside places that you can ask questions or either gain an understanding if you truly want to gain an understand or if you want to discuss this with like minded individuals again there are forums that relate to that where you may feel more comfortable. I think if you can't make this even adjacent to basketball then its time to just move on.
                          Was replying to a non basketball related post.

Comment

On the cusp.

TTF explained pretty clearly & concisely why your analogies don't hold water. That should have been the mic drop for you to move on from this line of discussion. But then your argument just got sillier. It's over. TTF won the debate, hands down. Let's all move on to basketball.

Comment

On the cusp.

it is not on the cusp though I make it very clear when I attack people personally and I have refrained from doing that. do not engage bad faith than you already have been here. get back to the topic of basketball or at least make it moderately related to move on please.

Comment

• I will say this is the second or third time in the past few months that things related to civil rights have seemingly been brought up by Kag and have lead to the derailing of the basketball related discussion.

Again I think there is a basketball related discussion to be had if someone wants to truly have that specifically.. otherwise yeah its time to have these conversations that one may be interested in passionately engaging on or learning about in the appropriate places on the internet.

As it relates to the raptors...Bobby typically says they dont like to make in season moves to the core of the team... does this year make it different given that FVV hasn't been signed to an extension yet and GTJ has his weird contract status going on (player option at the end of the year).

Are there moves that include getting a pick back ... that are a possibility?

Comment

Working...
                                X