No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Precious develops as we should hope he can over the next couple years, he's basically the perfect starting centre for what we're trying to do - ultra mobile defensive presence, world class in the open court, 3-point shooting w/ ability to attack close outs, a foundation of guard skills, and a work-in-progress big-man game.

The question for the imminent future is how ready he is to "put pressure on the rim" as a third year guy. If he can do that and continue hitting 3s at a good clip, should be a no-brainer.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Sep 28, 2022, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I don't see OG being bumped this season either, but I said it when they drafted Barnes that at some point sooner or later they will have to move either OG or Siakam, to the bench or elsewhere because there is a bit too much redundancy in skill set among those three. I still think that is the case minus Siakam being an option to be moved.
      Somebody's lost the plot...

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

It's not that they are forwards, it's that they have the same defensive versatility and that none of them score like a guard. A starting line of Fred, OG, Barnes, Siakam and Precious doesn't seem like a championship offense to me. Maybe Barnes develops into a scorer or Siakam takes another leap.
        Not right now. You'd obviously need Barnes to become a much better shooter and playmaker and Precious would have to look a lot more like Pascal.

By the way, everyone realizes they expect Achiuwa to be Siakam 2.0, right?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Not right now. You'd obviously need Barnes to become a much better shooter and playmaker and Precious would have to look a lot more like Pascal.

By the way, everyone realizes they expect Achiuwa to be Siakam 2.0, right?
          In what sense? Siakam was never expected to be a center.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Why not?

Pascal and Fred are easy 20+ ppg, OG and Barnes are gonna be close to that. So 4 out of 5 starters get you over 80 ppg, I think you're a great offensive team.
            None of them are "that guy", but of course Barnes has alot of hype around him being in the top tier of nba stars/superstars and he can eventually become "that guy".

The championship ceiling of this team does depend on Barnes and Precious. Fred, Pascal and OG are most likely going to be who they are. Maybe Pascal does become top 10 player and that pushes the team further. Fred will probably continue to be a borderline All-star, OG is a perfect 3&D guy. Scottie and Precious are the unknowns. Their ceilings are high with Barnes being a superstar talent.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Jae Crowder just requested a trade because he's getting bumped out of the starting lineup. Do some people around here really think that being a starter vs. coming off the bench doesn't matter to NBA players? Suns were the number 1 seed last year.
              So if Nick Nurse believes that Precious starting and Gary coming off the bench would be better for the team, he shouldn't do it because Gary might ask for a trade? (Some context: Gary is in the final year of his deal, he can choose to walk in the offseason if he wants. It might not look great to other suiters if he demands a trade when asked by a top notch coach to do something that he believes will benefit the team. Phoenix is a bit of a shit show right now, not sure comparing what goes on there is a great example of what might occur here).

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post

So if Nick Nurse believes that Precious starting and Gary coming off the bench would be better for the team, he shouldn't do it because Gary might ask for a trade? (Some context: Gary is in the final year of his deal, he can choose to walk in the offseason if he wants. It might not look great to other suiters if he demands a trade when asked by a top notch coach to do something that he believes will benefit the team. Phoenix is a bit of a shit show right now, not sure comparing what goes on there is a great example of what might occur here).
                different ages of players.. but it also does come down to the back room dealings... if you go behind closed doors and say we will pay you regardless or we will give you a higher usage roll and similar minutes just off the bench then it may be worth the sell. It isn't what you say but how you say it. It shouldn't be about capitulating to what Gary wants at the risk of team success. If it is then we should yeet him now.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

different ages of players.. but it also does come down to the back room dealings... if you go behind closed doors and say we will pay you regardless or we will give you a higher usage roll and similar minutes just off the bench then it may be worth the sell. It isn't what you say but how you say it. It shouldn't be about capitulating to what Gary wants at the risk of team success. If it is then we should yeet him now.
                  Yeah, I think it would need to be handled delicately for sure. That's why I'd be surprised if the switch was made suddenly... I think we'll see how things may go if Precious starts finishing games ahead of Gary. There's some very good players in this league that have flourished as 6th man, playing for contending and championship teams. Gary's game seems tailor made for it.

Comment

Yeah, I think it would need to be handled delicately for sure. That's why I'd be surprised if the switch was made suddenly... I think we'll see how things may go if Precious starts finishing games ahead of Gary. There's some very good players in this league that have flourished as 6th man, playing for contending and championship teams. Gary's game seems tailor made for it.
                    he would probably have a more efficient game and do better in the 6th man role that is high usage.

Comment

I don't trust Precious in the closing minutes,,, yet.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

I don't trust Precious in the closing minutes,,, yet.
                        Its a good idea to start with Precious. Raptors had a habit of starting slow and going down in games early last season. Those starter lineups + Precious were pretty good.

You can close games with Gary if he is scoring and shoot well. If he is on one of his struggles, you go with Precious.

Comment

• training camp and preseason will be telling

Comment

In what sense? Siakam was never expected to be a center.
                            Um, neither is Achiuwa. Or, put another way, everyone is expected to play ‘center’.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Um, neither is Achiuwa. Or, put another way, everyone is expected to play ‘center’.
                              Precious is 100% supposed to be a Center. We expect everyone to switch on defense not for everyone to play Center.

Comment

Why not?

Pascal and Fred are easy 20+ ppg, OG and Barnes are gonna be close to that. So 4 out of 5 starters get you over 80 ppg, I think you're a great offensive team.
                                Well there's nothing easy about putting up 20+ a game, especially for Fred. Both those guys had to play around 38 mins a game (at full throttle) to average that 20 & 22 last season. Siakam played 43 mins a game in the playoffs to average 22 pts. That kind of minutes load and pace is not sustainable without opening yourself up to injury. That's why they went out and got Otto, Juancho and brought back Thad.

40 players averaged 20 pts or better last season across the entire league. Safe to say Raps won't have 4 of those players on the roster next season. Also, I did mention "championship offense. Take a look at what the guys average in the playoffs, not the regular season. Paints a different picture.

Comment

Working...
                                X