Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

If Fred signs an extension, he won't be able to be traded until after this season is over. I imagine that would be part of the selling point on the extension now, at least another year of trade prevention and stability for Fred.
    That is fine. Interesting though what is the hold up after all that Durant rumors but maybe they are just trying to iron the kinks of the new contract.

my personal opinion, I would rather them sign him before the official season starts to get it out of the way.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Makes a lot of sense for Fred, but then why were we even hearing about these reports, earlier in the summer?

Report: Fred VanVleet 'Heading Toward' Extension Approaching of 4 Years, $110 million
      The Toronto Raptors are reportedly nearing a four year, $110 million contract extension with Fred VanVleet

https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...-agency-rumors

My uneducated guess is that both sides were actually close to finalizing an extension for Fred, but the KD trade talks put everything on hold.
      siakam next please

Comment

• Fred's a business man and his mantra is bet on yourself.

There might've been a window there early on but I think the ship's sailed on him extending early.

It'd be a weak move from him to do that now, or at least I'm sure that's how his agent would see it.

I mean, he's already got security for life and then some. Signing early now would just be bad business imo.

Too bad for us.

Comment

I mean, it comes down to security. Fred can sign for 4/114 now. Or for something undefined later. The majority of outcomes has the value next summer higher than 4/114. But there are some outcomes where it is lower. So it comes down to whether Fred is still betting on himself (and his health) at this stage of his career or looking to cash out coming off an all-star and all-defence season, neither of which are guaranteed (or even all that likely) to repeat.
          Fred may not be the 2nd best player on the team next season. Do you think that will diminish what the Raps are willing to offer him if he waits for next season?

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
            Fred's a business man and his mantra is bet on yourself.

There might've been a window there early on but I think the ship's sailed on him extending early.

It'd be a weak move from him to do that now, or at least I'm sure that's how his agent would see it.

I mean, he's already got security for life and then some. Signing early now would just be bad business imo.

Too bad for us.
            KD screwed us, IMO. Reports were that Fred was ready to sign that extension just before the KD sh*t hit the fan.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

when was fred all defence?
              Ah, fair enough, should have been (had more votes than Draymond who made the team) but you are correct he wasn't.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

That is fine. Interesting though what is the hold up after all that Durant rumors but maybe they are just trying to iron the kinks of the new contract.

my personal opinion, I would rather them sign him before the official season starts to get it out of the way.
                I imagine that would be everyone's preference. Certainly once the season is underway there's less and less reason for an agreement to be made by the day, making it likely that once you get there he's just heading to FA. Which is also fine, can just sign him then instead, if he correctly asserts that his value is likely higher than an extension can legally offer him.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Fred may not be the 2nd best player on the team next season. Do you think that will diminish what the Raps are willing to offer him if he waits for next season?
                  Don't know. Depends what the market is like. Suspect that AAV will be there, but maybe if he has injury issues again the team is less likely to offer the longer term deal? Or if the market truly dies for him even the price tag could drop. Probably not by much.

Ultimately there's a lot more reward in waiting it out than risk, so unless Fred is really nervous about his health, if he signs an extension that's a very tidy piece of work by the Raps and should be viewed as him doing them a favour with a team friendly deal. Not a fair one.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

KD screwed us, IMO. Reports were that Fred was ready to sign that extension just before the KD sh*t hit the fan.
                    They were? I only ever saw reports that the Raptors were going to offer him the max extension, because of course they were.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Don't know. Depends what the market is like. Suspect that AAV will be there, but maybe if he has injury issues again the team is less likely to offer the longer term deal? Or if the market truly dies for him even the price tag could drop. Probably not by much.

Ultimately there's a lot more reward in waiting it out than risk, so unless Fred is really nervous about his health, if he signs an extension that's a very tidy piece of work by the Raps and should be viewed as him doing them a favour with a team friendly deal. Not a fair one.
                      Really hope they can get something done before the season kicks off. It's a season where Fred needs to take a bit of a step back and we don't need that conflicting with his need to showcase himself. He's a pro and I don't think he would go that route, but it can only breed issues in the locker room so better to take care of it now.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Really hope they can get something done before the season kicks off. It's a season where Fred needs to take a bit of a step back and we don't need that conflicting with his need to showcase himself. He's a pro and I don't think he would go that route, but it can only breed issues in the locker room so better to take care of it now.
                        Great point

Comment

• Lot of returning players last night.

Murray and Porter looked good in Denver. Kawhi looked really good in LA, just a tad slow but its preseason. Simmons didn't look that great if I had to be honest. His timing was pretty bad, but that will correct itself.

Didn't watch the Lakers because they're boring. They also got smacked by the Kings, but that's likely because the Lakers have zero depth.

Comment

They were? I only ever saw reports that the Raptors were going to offer him the max extension, because of course they were.
                            I posted it above: "nearing 4 year extension". Sure there was a lot of aggregation from the original Jake Fischer report ("headed towards") and we can debate how close, but I interpreted Fred and Raptors as being very close. In fact, they may have still been close on media day when Fred and Masai both mentioned it guardedly.

Maybe Fred's agent was smartly waiting for the Herro deal, to see if it would re-calibrate the market price for guards. It did.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                              Fred's a business man and his mantra is bet on yourself.

Too bad for us.
                              Fred has proved his point and has won the bet.
                              I doubt there's any more ceiling to his game.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Lot of returning players last night.

Murray and Porter looked good in Denver. Kawhi looked really good in LA, just a tad slow but its preseason. Simmons didn't look that great if I had to be honest. His timing was pretty bad, but that will correct itself.

Didn't watch the Lakers because they're boring. They also got smacked by the Kings, but that's likely because the Lakers have zero depth.
                                Keegan Murray might be the favorite to win ROY this year. He's just a really smooth player on offense.

I'm surprised the Lakers didn't start Beverly. They need to get their defense organized and he's the man for the job if it's between him and Nunn.

Comment

Working...
                                X