No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LeBron's hype was much bigger than Wemby. ESPN were broadcasting full St Mary's high school games because of LeBron.

I'd put Wemby's 2nd behind LeBron though, Wiggins 3rd, Oden 4th. As for Zion, I don't remember that much hype around Zion.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Wizards are a team that is gonna shoot for playoffs hard but if things go poorly they could try to tank.
      Charlotte I think is all in on playoffs and should make the play in.

I just think Orlando and Detroit have really far to go to not be the worst teams in the East.
      yeah if they tank the players I would target are rui, johnny davis, kuzma, or porzingis.. Beal is interesting but the cost would be ridiculous. Unless they would want to do FVV and Trent and two picks.. which I doubt.. even then.. I hate no trade clauses ... not to mention there is a trade kicker if I am not mistaken.

Zingis is interesting because his contract has what... two years left? and he really came back and performed well last year when he was healthy. Would help with the shooting as well. Problem is ... he is never ever healthy

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

yeah if they tank the players I would target are rui, johnny davis, kuzma, or porzingis.. Beal is interesting but the cost would be ridiculous. Unless they would want to do FVV and Trent and two picks.. which I doubt.. even then.. I hate no trade clauses ... not to mention there is a trade kicker if I am not mistaken.
        whoa whoa whoa you'd trade FVV+GTJ+2 picks for the right to pay beal 50m+ until he's 34?

i wouldn't even trade trent for him straight up, let alone FVV, let alone picks. he's already the most overrated player in the league and now he's the most overpaid. i wouldn't trade him for a bag of chips. that contract will be toxic

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

whoa whoa whoa you'd trade FVV+GTJ+2 picks for the right to pay beal 50m+ until he's 34?

i wouldn't even trade trent for him straight up, let alone FVV, let alone picks. he's already the most overrated player in the league and now he's the most overpaid. i wouldn't trade him for a bag of chips. that contract will be toxic
          i'd expect additional contracts like rui to be part of it.. again we were just talking about trading for KD who has a much more extensive injury history.. ultimately I dont want beal...

if you are asking me straight up trent for beal... and you are saying no.. then iyeah i dont know if I agree with that one.. ignoring the contract for a second....

beal would be an upgrade but again i think there are other better players so I wouldn't be hunting beal from the wizards.. no

and I kind of hinted in my initial comment that I hate his no trade..... I hate the kicker so I would lean against that...
          Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Wed Oct 5, 2022, 05:59 PM.

Comment

i'd expect additional contracts like rui to be part of it.. again we were just talking about trading for KD who has a much more extensive injury history.. ultimately I dont want beal...

if you are asking me straight up trent for beal... and you are saying no.. then iyeah i dont know if I agree with that one.. ignoring the contract for a second....

beal would be an upgrade but again i think there are other better players so I wouldn't be hunting beal from the wizards.. no

and I kind of hinted in my initial comment that I hate his no trade..... I hate the kicker so I would lean against that...
            but i can't just ignore that contract for a second. it was absurd when it was being talked about that they might give it to him and it was reckless and irresponsible in real time when they went through with it and it's only going to get worse with age in my opinion, even with the new TV money kicking in. beal is better than trent in a vacuum but things don't exist in a vacuum, trent is much younger and more affordable. but i don't have a high opinion of beal, and never have.

it just makes my mind explode how some people around here value beal and continue to undervalue FVV. fred is just way better straight up in my opinion when you factor in both ends of the court, let alone considering the difference in contracts and adding trent and two other picks.

i said like a year ago that fred was going to sign somewhere in the vicinity of 35M per and everyone was going to freak out about it until they realize it's a good deal a year or two into it, and i'll stand by that. certainly looks more plausible in light of the herro deal than it did a couple months ago

Comment

but i can't just ignore that contract for a second. it was absurd when it was being talked about that they might give it to him and it was reckless and irresponsible in real time when they went through with it and it's only going to get worse with age in my opinion, even with the new TV money kicking in. beal is better than trent in a vacuum but things don't exist in a vacuum, trent is much younger and more affordable. but i don't have a high opinion of beal, and never have.

it just makes my mind explode how some people around here value beal and continue to undervalue FVV. fred is just way better straight up in my opinion when you factor in both ends of the court, let alone considering the difference in contracts and adding trent and two other picks.

i said like a year ago that fred was going to sign somewhere in the vicinity of 35M per and everyone was going to freak out about it until they realize it's a good deal a year or two into it, and i'll stand by that. certainly looks more plausible in light of the herro deal than it did a couple months ago
              I think you are overestimating how much I was talking about beal I was more interested in the other guys but I was pointing out a team that may tank.

Now Beal vs GTJ we can have that conversation. My main concerns with an FVV deal is a 4-5 year deal depending on how his body holds up but an off ball role and lower usage helps preserve him. I have discussed that. As much as I think FVV had moments where he slowed down the offense my major gripe was with GTJ last year. But again I was just randomly throwing out a trade to think.. oh how we could get this guy ... but I am not all in on it. hence why my original statement had doubts within it

Comment

The general consensus is that the Tyler Herro deal is a huge overpay - that's a bad comp and extremely bad timing for the Raptors with not 1, but 2 guards heading into free agency.

Nobody can blame Fred or Gary for being opportunistic and cashing in.... but I will always blame players who say "I'm all about winning", but at every chance they get, they hamstring the franchise's salary cap and make it difficult to put winning players around them.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...-million-deal/

Comment

• No idea how the new TV deal will impact player salaries, but it's being made out to look like the supermax which Beal and Lillard received will be the new normal max. If that is the case then maybe Herro's deal isn't a huge overpay?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                    No idea how the new TV deal will impact player salaries, but it's being made out to look like the supermax which Beal and Lillard received will be the new normal max. If that is the case then maybe Herro's deal isn't a huge overpay?
                    This is correct. The Herro deal is not that big once the cap jumps. They got him to sign for 4 years by giving him a post salary cap bump salary. Otherwise he would have demanded a 1 and 1 deal to hit free agency again.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

This is correct. The Herro deal is not that big once the cap jumps. They got him to sign for 4 years by giving him a post salary cap bump salary. Otherwise he would have demanded a 1 and 1 deal to hit free agency again.
                      Good young players heading into RFA for their first big pay cheque don't normally do a 1+1. The biggest (legitimate) threat is to get an offer sheet for 4 years from somebody, at which point the home team can match. It just played out with Ayton. Young guys almost always secure the long-term bag first. Can't really recall any good young player coming off their rookie deal who took a 1+1, in recent memory.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Good young players heading into RFA for their first big pay cheque don't normally do a 1+1. The biggest (legitimate) threat is to get an offer sheet for 4 years from somebody, at which point the home team can match. It just played out with Ayton. Young guys almost always secure the long-term bag first. Can't really recall any good young player coming off their rookie deal who took a 1+1, in recent memory.
                        Biggest threat is a 2+1(PO) offer sheet, that's the shortest legal offer. That's what the predatory offers tend to be. Also teams wouldn't offer a 1+1, they'd just dare the player to take the QO.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The general consensus is that the Tyler Herro deal is a huge overpay - that's a bad comp and extremely bad timing for the Raptors with not 1, but 2 guards heading into free agency.

Nobody can blame Fred or Gary for being opportunistic and cashing in.... but I will always blame players who say "I'm all about winning", but at every chance they get, they hamstring the franchise's salary cap and make it difficult to put winning players around them.

https://www.essentiallysports.com/nb...-million-deal/
                          you mean like lillard?

Comment

You can't compare this to any situation in recent memory. The cap is going WAY up and every agent knows it. Herro could just take the QO and leave for huge money if they didn't give him the huge money now. Miami got term in exchange for paying him based on the future cap.

Comment

you mean like lillard?
                              And Beal. But.. but... they are so loyal.

Comment

And Beal. But.. but... they are so loyal.
                                hey i am not defending either.

yeah if they tank the players I would target are rui, johnny davis, kuzma, or porzingis.. Beal is interesting but the cost would be ridiculous
                                that was the original thing after that I went on to outline his contract and stuff ... I threw out what they may be interested in and what it would take.. but I said. EVEN THEN.. I dont know.

I am more interested in the others. But Bradley Beal would help this team.. I just dont think he is the right guy though. I was ok with Donovan because of his contract situation but I didn't think it would happen because we weren't giving OG for that... and Utah wanted to lose. Also for that one I said FVV and GTJ becuase Mitchell's offence is that good but also because I don't like the idea of having two short guards in the back court.

Shai in terms of big game hunting is the likely target that makes sense but won't be on the market this year. The only other person I have mentioned recently has been RJ but I think for now that ship has sailed.. but I would love to get RJ on this team.
                                Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Thu Oct 6, 2022, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X