• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post

You’ve been feisty lately!

I was referring to a player like Max Christie (or similar) (was taken two picks after ours)who has a decent offensive and defensive game already. I was just questioning if taking a SG/wing would have been a player that would move the needle more.

I still like the Koloko pick, he might not contribute much the first couple years, but he looks promising.

I think Ryan Russillo brought up a good point on Bill’s podcast. There’s a trend of teams prioritizing drafting wings, almost to the point where teams are reaching.… especially this years draft. Bigs have been put on the back burner for the most part. There’s bigs that used to go early first round that now are available in the back end of the first.

So maybe this was a zag… we needed this position but it’s also a value pick.
    Can't blame them. Like KD said "It's a wings league" it's the most important position in basketball. C on the other hand is the least important position. Like I said a week ago, I didn't pay any attention to all the C's that could be available at 33 because we don't need a C.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    chris wrote: View Post

no, gary payton II won both those awards.

gary payton I also won PAC10 DPOY in his freshman season, but it was in1987
    very good point I just thought he was listing the names in reverse chronological order and naming the big time ones.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    saints91 wrote: View Post

I was referring to a player like Max Christie (or similar) (was taken two picks after ours)who has a decent offensive and defensive game already. I was just questioning if taking a SG/wing would have been a player that would move the needle more.

I still like the Koloko pick, he might not contribute much the first couple years, but he looks promising.

I think Ryan Russillo brought up a good point on Bill’s podcast. There’s a trend of teams prioritizing drafting wings, almost to the point where teams are reaching.… especially this years draft. Bigs have been put on the back burner for the most part. There’s bigs that used to go early first round that now are available in the back end of the first.

you never pick for positional fit you pick BPA

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

i don't expect defenses will guard his three at all initially so he should have no problem getting that shot off. and if he knocks some down and they do start to guard it i'd call that a huge win because he's dragged the opposing team's best rim protector out to the perimeter.
    I mean if they are like you said huge huge win. Heck I don't even expect teams to respect scotties 3 point shooting this year even if he improves to 37% it usually takes a consistent season before guys really trust you can shoot it enough to respect it.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Koloko is going to be a best defensively.. it's the offense that of course concerns me.. as he'll be really raw there. Like Precious was with us for most of the season, but likely worse. He's a lob threat, but we don't have guys that can pass a good lob. I think Scottie has but it's not his bread and butter either. Guys like Clint Capela and DeAndre Jordan played with Harden, Trae and Paul. Those are some elite playmakers. We're not as lucky here.

Koloko from what I can see has not much of an inside game. He is a good free throw shooter which is really promising. And he kicked ass at the combine 3pt drill. But from videos I've seen, he takes a long time to take his shots. Which gives enough time for defenses to get set and make it difficult. I don't see crisp handles like I saw with Pascal early (which of course would be difficult with his wingspan, length and size of his hands). And with crafty defenders in the NBA if he puts the ball to the ground that's likely to get stolen or deflected. So we basically hope he has a knack of rolling to the rim and finding space in the paint to accept a pass. Boucher like. Hopefully Chris will be back because he'd be a great mentor for Christian if possible.

But you can't get the perfect player at 33 in the draft. Masai, Tolzman and Bobby know how to pick them though. I bet this guy is a gym rat. If he is then he'll just naturally get better in the areas he's not so good in.. like most of our prospects have through the years.
    How do you think he got the FT improvements he did in college considering he only started playing at age 16? One would assume it isn't just luck. Yeah the guy is a worker.

Chris is still too low basketball IQ wise to be a good mentor to someone and he isn't a great center (Chris). He is a 4... and Nurse stated as much at the end of the tampa season.I don't mindchrist coming back but he isn't exactly the guy to teach him the game considering he admitted he only started realizing he could be productive by cutting when Thad pointed it out to him. His words not mine.
    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Mon Jun 27, 2022, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

This is up there with the take that why couldn't we find a player who can shoot and create and be playable at all levels.

Leave a comment:

• Quirk
    replied
    Spicy P and Chrisko are sizzling.

That's all I've got.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied

Yeah good point.. Serge can take a bit to take a shot too. It's a bit different though when an NBA defender is inching closer to you. The game comes fast in the NBA. Hopefully we get to see some shooting from him in summer league.
    To be honest the most difficult part will be trying to get Koloko away from the rim on offense. He's been a clean up guy in college so the tendency will be to gravitate to the basket. I think he will be fine but he's gotta get comfy on the perimeter so not to muck up the driving lanes for Scottie and Siakam.

He's there to anchor the defense for now anyways.
    Last edited by LJ2; Mon Jun 27, 2022, 10:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bendit
    replied
    Can't get enough Koloko today!! His use of reach is incredible...

May have been duplicated elsewhere ... but his plays are eye-candy ... and the Raps never worked him out ... was that purposeful?

Last edited by Bendit; Sun Jun 26, 2022, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    Here is a scouting report on Koloko, from a pro scout (Zach Milner) talking to RR blogger (Samson Folk). They aren't liking Koloko's fit with the Raptors on offense. The main reason is that Koloko ideally needs a good PnR guard who can put pressure on the rim and Samson says that Fred is the worst in the league at that.

Samson suggests that Scottie and Pascal might be better fits to run PnRs with Koloko.

https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2022...w-zach-milner/

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

i don't expect defenses will guard his three at all initially so he should have no problem getting that shot off. and if he knocks some down and they do start to guard it i'd call that a huge win because he's dragged the opposing team's best rim protector out to the perimeter.
    Yeah good point.. Serge can take a bit to take a shot too. It's a bit different though when an NBA defender is inching closer to you. The game comes fast in the NBA. Hopefully we get to see some shooting from him in summer league.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

Koloko is a center, Pascal was a SF prospect. Factor in that difference please holy shit. It's like you guys look for insane reasons to be angry.

This is up there with the take that why couldn't we find a player who can shoot and create and be playable at all levels.
    Pascal played some center in college. He was a forward but played both C and PF for New Mexico State.

Leave a comment:

• chris
    replied

And he kicked ass at the combine 3pt drill. But from videos I've seen, he takes a long time to take his shots. Which gives enough time for defenses to get set and make it difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Koloko is going to be a best defensively.. it's the offense that of course concerns me.. as he'll be really raw there. Like Precious was with us for most of the season, but likely worse. He's a lob threat, but we don't have guys that can pass a good lob. I think Scottie has but it's not his bread and butter either. Guys like Clint Capela and DeAndre Jordan played with Harden, Trae and Paul. Those are some elite playmakers. We're not as lucky here.

Koloko from what I can see has not much of an inside game. He is a good free throw shooter which is really promising. And he kicked ass at the combine 3pt drill. But from videos I've seen, he takes a long time to take his shots. Which gives enough time for defenses to get set and make it difficult. I don't see crisp handles like I saw with Pascal early (which of course would be difficult with his wingspan, length and size of his hands). And with crafty defenders in the NBA if he puts the ball to the ground that's likely to get stolen or deflected. So we basically hope he has a knack of rolling to the rim and finding space in the paint to accept a pass. Boucher like. Hopefully Chris will be back because he'd be a great mentor for Christian if possible.

But you can't get the perfect player at 33 in the draft. Masai, Tolzman and Bobby know how to pick them though. I bet this guy is a gym rat. If he is then he'll just naturally get better in the areas he's not so good in.. like most of our prospects have through the years.
    Koloko is a center, Pascal was a SF prospect. Factor in that difference please holy shit. It's like you guys look for insane reasons to be angry.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X