Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post

You’ve been feisty lately!

I was referring to a player like Max Christie (or similar) (was taken two picks after ours)who has a decent offensive and defensive game already. I was just questioning if taking a SG/wing would have been a player that would move the needle more.

I still like the Koloko pick, he might not contribute much the first couple years, but he looks promising.

I think Ryan Russillo brought up a good point on Bill’s podcast. There’s a trend of teams prioritizing drafting wings, almost to the point where teams are reaching.… especially this years draft. Bigs have been put on the back burner for the most part. There’s bigs that used to go early first round that now are available in the back end of the first.

So maybe this was a zag… we needed this position but it’s also a value pick.
    Can't blame them. Like KD said "It's a wings league" it's the most important position in basketball. C on the other hand is the least important position. Like I said a week ago, I didn't pay any attention to all the C's that could be available at 33 because we don't need a C.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

How do you think he got the FT improvements he did in college considering he only started playing at age 16? One would assume it isn't just luck. Yeah the guy is a worker.

Chris is still too low basketball IQ wise to be a good mentor to someone and he isn't a great center (Chris). He is a 4... and Nurse stated as much at the end of the tampa season.I don't mindchrist coming back but he isn't exactly the guy to teach him the game considering he admitted he only started realizing he could be productive by cutting when Thad pointed it out to him. His words not mine.
      His FT% is definitely promising. And from what I hear he started the game late, just like Pascal. And we know Pascal works hard. Plus the bigger point is that Masai wouldn't have picked a guy who wasn't a gym rat. If you don't like the sport, and don't want to get better, then your simply not going to be a Raptor.

There is a better chance Koloko will be a role playing big in this league. I mean most are in this league in today's NBA. He can develop some skills but I think his best traits will always be at the defensive end.. and on the offensive end will be available for lobs, put backs, setting screens etc. I don't think he's a guy you could feed into the post and have him make a play on his own. At least not for his first 2-3 years. Of course he could surprise all of us.

Why I mentioned Chris is because I think Koloko should model his game closest to his offensively.. for who we have on the roster right now. Yeah Chris doesn't have the brightest IQ.. but Chris also worked hard to get to where he is. He's one of the better role playing big men in the NBA. Chris has grown and learned a lot since early last year. He was one of our best producers in the minutes that he had. And he plays a style that Nurse wants. Chris is more a PF for sure, but I think Koloko should try to model his game around Chris'. Again I'm talking offensively.

Defensively he should try to be an anchor. If he's as good of a rim protector as we hope, he should be a guy we try to funnel guys into so he can defend the rim against them. And a 7 footer should help avoid having our guys over help when guards drive towards the basket and then kick out to open shooters.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

His FT% is definitely promising. And from what I hear he started the game late, just like Pascal. And we know Pascal works hard. Plus the bigger point is that Masai wouldn't have picked a guy who wasn't a gym rat. If you don't like the sport, and don't want to get better, then your simply not going to be a Raptor.

There is a better chance Koloko will be a role playing big in this league. I mean most are in this league in today's NBA. He can develop some skills but I think his best traits will always be at the defensive end.. and on the offensive end will be available for lobs, put backs, setting screens etc. I don't think he's a guy you could feed into the post and have him make a play on his own. At least not for his first 2-3 years. Of course he could surprise all of us.

Why I mentioned Chris is because I think Koloko should model his game closest to his offensively.. for who we have on the roster right now. Yeah Chris doesn't have the brightest IQ.. but Chris also worked hard to get to where he is. He's one of the better role playing big men in the NBA. Chris has grown and learned a lot since early last year. He was one of our best producers in the minutes that he had. And he plays a style that Nurse wants. Chris is more a PF for sure, but I think Koloko should try to model his game around Chris'. Again I'm talking offensively.

Defensively he should try to be an anchor. If he's as good of a rim protector as we hope, he should be a guy we try to funnel guys into so he can defend the rim against them. And a 7 footer should help avoid having our guys over help when guards drive towards the basket and then kick out to open shooters.
        What we're missing to optimize Koloko immediately is a legit PnR guard, like a Trae Young or Darius Garland. A PG like Lowry would get a guy like Koloko paid and at least onto to his second contract. Heck, even prime DJ Augustin is a better PnR operator than what we have right now. Could this be the opportunity for Malachi?

Comment

• I doubt the Raps are focusing on optimizing the 8th or 9th (if he's lucky) guy off the bench. Like all our bench guys Koloko is going to have to adapt to the offense. Get in the gym and work on that jumper.

Comment

I will only push back a little bit about chris and point out that chris was only good after Feb

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              I doubt the Raps are focusing on optimizing the 8th or 9th (if he's lucky) guy off the bench. Like all our bench guys Koloko is going to have to adapt to the offense. Get in the gym and work on that jumper.
              he works on shooting 1000 3's a day currently twice a day

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                I doubt the Raps are focusing on optimizing the 8th or 9th (if he's lucky) guy off the bench. Like all our bench guys Koloko is going to have to adapt to the offense. Get in the gym and work on that jumper.
                Then I guess we'd be wasting another pick, like Malachi, by being so rigid in our system vs. players. The whole selling point of Nurse over Casey was that he was supposed to be adaptable. It works both ways, not just schemes, but also with player strengths. X's & O's vs. Jimmies & Joes.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

What we're missing to optimize Koloko immediately is a legit PnR guard, like a Trae Young or Darius Garland. A PG like Lowry would get a guy like Koloko paid and at least onto to his second contract. Heck, even prime DJ Augustin is a better PnR operator than what we have right now. Could this be the opportunity for Malachi?
                  I think Barnes could do this or Siakam. FVV doesn't like making short roll passes and struggles to provide enough down hill pressure as well.
                  I think he is better than just a roller even if that is going to be his primary weapon initially.

Comment

Yeah for sure. Maybe Scottie has that in him, but ultimately that's our big weakness for sure to help develop Koloko properly.

Comment

I will only push back a little bit about chris and point out that chris was only good after Feb
                      Chris was also one of our only bright spots in Tampa. He regressed to start the season, and then picked up his game around the all-star break.

Comment

• Like, Biyombo was picked 7th for crying out loud. And I don't know if he was every this calibre of centre-prospect (partly because his jumper showed signs of being half of what Christian has been demonstrating).

We didn't need just any centre we needed a specific kind of centre to fit in with what we're trying to do. Starting to feel like we got almost exactly what we needed - mobile size and defense for year 1, oodles of potential thereafter.

Comment

Chris was also one of our only bright spots in Tampa. He regressed to start the season, and then picked up his game around the all-star break.
                          I give him respect for the tampa season but also siakam doesn't get respect for upping his playmaking in the tampa season. that team wasn't ever able to put it together and get it healthy but remember right around all star break we were 4th in the east.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                            Like, Biyombo was picked 7th for crying out loud. And I don't know if he was every this calibre of centre-prospect (partly because his jumper showed signs of being half of what Christian has been demonstrating).

We didn't need just any centre we needed a specific kind of centre to fit in with what we're trying to do. Starting to feel like we got almost exactly what we needed - mobile size and defense for year 1, oodles of potential thereafter.
                            I actually think he is a better center prospect than kai jones taken last year for sure as well as Mark Williams from Duke.

Comment

Then I guess we'd be wasting another pick, like Malachi, by being so rigid in our system vs. players. The whole selling point of Nurse over Casey was that he was supposed to be adaptable. It works both ways, not just schemes, but also with player strengths. X's & O's vs. Jimmies & Joes.
                              I don't get it. The current NBA is one where traditional bigs making max money are unplayable in the playoffs. If Anything, getting Koloko to learn to fit into our system will be of huge benefit to him. He'd be expanding his game by learning to play more on the perimeter.
                              Last edited by LJ2; Mon Jun 27, 2022, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I actually think he is a better center prospect than kai jones taken last year for sure as well as Mark Williams from Duke.
                                why?

Comment

Working...
                                X