Everything Christian Koloko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think Fred would do just fine running PnR with Koloko, one of the reasons he struggles doing so in the current offence is we don't currently have a go and get it lob guy, you kind of have to nail the placement for our roll threats, Koloko seems like he has the lift and length to correct some slightly errant passes, which should help Fred be much more liberal with the lob. And Fred's burgeoning mid-range pullup game off of screens could be gravity enough to free the rookie up.

It's not like we never run PnR. We just don't do it as much as other teams (and to be more accurate, we don't finish plays out of the PnR as often as other teams, but we probably run it close to how often other teams run it, our highest finish option of the action is just the kick to the perimeter rather than one of the primary PnR participants finishing). Add a PnR guy and I expect if he plays significant minutes we'll see an uptick in those play types and finishes within them.
    I'd prefer Scottie. Something that is important in pick and roll is the potential for the ball handler to provide the threat of down hill rim pressure ... Fred can't do that.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      Who's the best player comp for Koloko? Robert Williams? Capela?
      Samuel Dalembert?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Samuel Dalembert?
        he has a bit more game than just being a lob threat

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I'd prefer Scottie. Something that is important in pick and roll is the potential for the ball handler to provide the threat of down hill rim pressure ... Fred can't do that.
          Mid-range pressure can work too. If the pull-up is a threat the big has to show or at least limit the drop, and that can open a lob. Chris Paul has made a career off of mid-range threats creating lobs. Fred will never be the passer Paul is but the concept is the same.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I think you underestimate how bad biyombo was offensively.

He had toruble catching a damn ball. Koloko actually has good hands catching wise.
            Have you seen his post up game? I’m not saying he was first year Biyombo, maybe closer to his Raptors stint.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NJ89zgi_g

watch the end of the scouting video… his offence is way behind, but I have faith, he can develop.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

Have you seen his post up game? I’m not saying he was first year Biyombo, maybe closer to his Raptors stint.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w-NJ89zgi_g

watch the end of the scouting video… his offence is way behind, but I have faith, he can develop.
              Shooting and touch have a ways to go (from college - but so did Scottie's so I'm past projecting rookies until I see them), but catching the ball he's very good at already, not stone hands like Biz was.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think Fred would do just fine running PnR with Koloko, one of the reasons he struggles doing so in the current offence is we don't currently have a go and get it lob guy, you kind of have to nail the placement for our roll threats, Koloko seems like he has the lift and length to correct some slightly errant passes, which should help Fred be much more liberal with the lob. And Fred's burgeoning mid-range pullup game off of screens could be gravity enough to free the rookie up.

It's not like we never run PnR. We just don't do it as much as other teams (and to be more accurate, we don't finish plays out of the PnR as often as other teams, but we probably run it close to how often other teams run it, our highest finish option of the action is just the kick to the perimeter rather than one of the primary PnR participants finishing). Add a PnR guy and I expect if he plays significant minutes we'll see an uptick in those play types and finishes within them.
                Yep. Nurse specifically mentioned that he was hoping the Raps would add a legit "lob threat" in the off-season, in addition to shooting.

I was just responding to the poster who was suggesting that we don't take full advantage of Koloko's immediate strengths until he develops a 3-pt shot to "fit into our system." That would be silly. Fred also mentioned that he was hoping to add a floater to his game in the off-season... which is the better type of gravity counter that top PnR PGs like Trae & Garland are using these days with rim runners.

It's true, Fred's size is an issue in having to find the perfect angles to throw the lob. Lowry also had trouble throwing lobs to JV, but he was able to consistently hit more athletic and long guys like Biz, Bebe, and even Boucher. Length and athleticism should be something Koloko can bring from Day 1.

Comment

• I'm not sure Biz is a good comp. Also not sure about the Ibaka comp. When I watch CK's highlights, offensively he dunks everything. He's a lob threat and he dunks everything. He kinda reminds me of Robert Williams.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yep. Nurse specifically mentioned that he was hoping the Raps would add a legit "lob threat" in the off-season, in addition to shooting.

I was just responding to the poster who was suggesting that we don't take full advantage of Koloko's immediate strengths until he develops a 3-pt shot to "fit into our system." That would be silly. Fred also mentioned that he was hoping to add a floater to his game in the off-season... which is the better type of gravity counter that top PnR PGs like Trae & Garland are using these days with rim runners.

It's true, Fred's size is an issue in having to find the perfect angles to throw the lob. Lowry also had trouble throwing lobs to JV, but he was able to consistently hit more athletic and long guys like Biz, Bebe, and even Boucher. Length and athleticism should be something Koloko can bring from Day 1.

Lowry gambled more with his threats high risk high reward but he learned how to thread needles with time as he gambled earlier on with those passes. That is part of what made him so good. Fred isn't Lowry. No reason why we can't do more pick and roll but with Scottie.

Comment

I'm not sure Biz is a good comp. Also not sure about the Ibaka comp. When I watch CK's highlights, offensively he dunks everything. He's a lob threat and he dunks everything. He kinda reminds me of Robert Williams.
                      That is why I said Williams and Ibaka. His passing if you watch enough of his game tape is the key. They boxed him into his role but he has more offense than just dunking. He isn't Kamagate offensively he is significantly more polished. Struggles to go to his left hand though.

Comment

I'm not sure Biz is a good comp. Also not sure about the Ibaka comp. When I watch CK's highlights, offensively he dunks everything. He's a lob threat and he dunks everything. He kinda reminds me of Robert Williams.
                        The nice thing about that comp is a) Williams is very, very good and b) Koloko is even bigger (similar wingspan but several inches taller).
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Few notes from a solid athletic article:

"Lloyd and his staff spent the summer digging in on Koloko’s offensive repertoire. They worked on his mid-range game and on his moves in the pick-and-roll, helping him establish more than just his finishing skills"

"Koloko evolved to 63 percent this year, despite tripling his shot production. Once a liability at the free-throw line, where he shot just 35 percent as a freshman, he was a serviceable 73 percent this year."

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/iyCc9njc-ro

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/xzFteo6S68Q

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/1OiVxxpMAho

Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Tue Jun 28, 2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Like to see this. He's got a full off season to work on what the Raptors staff think are his highest needs. Four months of daily grind getting better. Looking forward to the result. (Of course really looking forward to summer league, but that will only be the beginning).

Comment

• It looks like he can develop an outside jumper, he has a pretty soft and smooth delivery. In games he’ll have time to take that shot, and not be sped up as much.

It’s the interior game that will take some time, and developing his left hand finishes. His footwork is excellent, just needs practice on finishing and post moves. I don’t think we are going to to run our offence through the post but he still needs to finish without dunking.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                                It looks like he can develop an outside jumper, he has a pretty soft and smooth delivery. In games he’ll have time to take that shot, and not be sped up as much.

It’s the interior game that will take some time, and developing his left hand finishes. His footwork is excellent, just needs practice on finishing and post moves. I don’t think we are going to to run our offence through the post but he still needs to finish without dunking.
                                Yup, adding a jump shot is going to be a key to his success. They won't run any plays for him anyways, so his offense is going to come from put backs and cleaning up which is fine. Not going to expect too much from Koloko this season, but if he can displace Birch in the rotation that would be a huge win.

Comment

Working...
                                X