No announcement yet.

Everything Christian Koloko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There’s a lot to like about this kid, I don’t think he’s as raw as they are saying.

He was set back in his development by covid, probably like a lot of kids, but it’s 2 out of his 7 years playing.

It’s impressive that he’s taken the leaps that he has. He started playing at 15, came to the States at 17, had two years that he couldn’t really work with the college coaching staff because of Covid restrictions. The following year when he could train with the coaches full time he took giant leap in development.

Keep in mind that in NCAA you are capped on how much you are actually able to practice and train with the coaching staff. Since school has ended there’s already improvements in his outside shooting…. And now he’s with our development team.

DeMar’s, Kyle’s, and Kwahi’s legacy of working hard has rubbed off on Siakam, OG, and Fred, and is being passed down to these guys. There’s no doubt in my mind that this kid become a top 8-9 rotation guy on this team… maybe much much more.
    Last edited by saints91; Wed Jun 29, 2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
      There’s a lot to like about this kid, I don’t think he’s as raw as they are saying.

He was set back in his development by covid, probably like a lot of kids, but it’s 2 out of his 7 years playing.

It’s impressive that he’s taken the leaps that he has. He started playing at 15, came to the States at 17, had two years that he couldn’t really work with the college coaching staff because of Covid restrictions. The following year when he could train with the coaches full time he took giant leap in development.

Keep in mind that in NCAA you are capped on how much you are actually able to practice and train with the coaching staff. Since school has ended there’s already improvements in his outside shooting…. And now he’s with our development team.

DeMar’s, Kyle’s, and Kwahi’s legacy of working hard has rubbed off on Siakam, OG, and Fred, and is being passed down to these guys. There’s no doubt in my mind that this kid become a top 8-9 rotation guy on this team… maybe much much more.
      Keep in mind the college diet too. It's shit. Players eat the same crappy cafeteria food as students, or even worse paper bag lunches when they don't have time to go to the cafeteria.

He's going to put on more weight and muscle pretty quickly with our training staff. That will help his post game and psy defense.

Comment

• If we’re talking about his college experience let’s not also forget:
        - was boxed into his role by coach, didn’t get opportunity to show everything he had (think Precious at Miami)
        - was at best a third option if not lower behind two other top 20 NBA talents (this more ties into the above)
        - was used in lots of 2 big man lineups (hopefully as a singular big on the raptors he’ll spend less time chasing small people around and spend more time near the paint to amplify his strengths)

As you can see from my above rationalizations, I’ve really sold myself on this kid

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Keep in mind the college diet too. It's shit. Players eat the same crappy cafeteria food as students, or even worse paper bag lunches when they don't have time to go to the cafeteria.

He's going to put on more weight and muscle pretty quickly with our training staff. That will help his post game and psy defense.
          lol, c'mon. NCAA Div. 1 college teams have strength and conditioning coaches, etc... It's big business. You're thinking about Canadian high school teams.

Comment

• In an interview with Bill Walton (who raves about this kid) Koloko said he was lifting 5 days a week in the off season, 3 upper body and two 2 lower body. During the season he lifts 3 times a week.

Walton noted that Koloko has put on 35lbs of muscle since coming to Arizona.

He’s well on his way to having ab NBA ready body.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
              There’s a lot to like about this kid, I don’t think he’s as raw as they are saying.

Our 8th and 9th guys from last season were Birch and Flynn, so definitely doable. Boucher and Precious were 6 and 7, so it's gonna take something special to bump those guys this season. I mean if he did that as a rookie I don't think there is anything left to say about the job Masai, Bobby and their team are doing. Just a different level when it comes to finding talent.

Comment

• Anyone who can set a proper pick and can accurately nail a 12 footer or be the secondary defender downlow against opposing drives is an upgrade to Birch.

Koloko has a chance.

But I like Bobby Portis

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Our 8th and 9th guys from last season were Birch and Flynn, so definitely doable. Boucher and Precious were 6 and 7, so it's gonna take something special to bump those guys this season. I mean if he did that as a rookie I don't think there is anything left to say about the job Masai, Bobby and their team are doing. Just a different level when it comes to finding talent.
                  Birch and Thad, not Birch and Flynn anymore

Comment

When did you last go to uni?
                    There's no crappy cafeteria food at Western or U of Waterloo (the only two I'm familiar with), it's better than most people eat at home. And these top athletes are going to top US schools; the full scholarship athletes aren't eating Kraft singles sandwiches out of paper bags lol

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

When did you last go to uni?
                      There's no crappy cafeteria food at Western or U of Waterloo (the only two I'm familiar with), it's better than most people eat at home. And these top athletes are going to top US schools; the full scholarship athletes aren't eating Kraft singles sandwiches out of paper bags lol
                      You're right, the issue is they are feed by a NCAA scholarship standard. There are cases, I think even FVV made light of it, that due to their bigger than average appetites, they actually go hungry eating only what is given to them. Thinking about a kid who is 7ft+ and is gaining 30lbs+ over his time at school I would assume he would fall into that category.

Comment

• So incredibly pumped to see this guy play. Summer League!

Comment

• Scottie
                          OG
                          Pascal
                          Boucher
                          Koloko

Dat length!

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post

You're right, the issue is they are feed by a NCAA scholarship standard. There are cases, I think even FVV made light of it, that due to their bigger than average appetites, they actually go hungry eating only what is given to them. Thinking about a kid who is 7ft+ and is gaining 30lbs+ over his time at school I would assume he would fall into that category.
                            Makes sense.
                            But Koloko isn't skinny by any means.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

lol, c'mon. NCAA Div. 1 college teams have strength and conditioning coaches, etc... It's big business. You're thinking about Canadian high school teams.
                              I went to college in the USA, University of Florida and Georgia Tech, I knew basketball and football players are both schools. Speaking from experience here. They ate the same shitty cafeteria food as me, and were given paper bag lunches with a sandwich and chips when they couldn't get to the dining hall. They absolutely did not have nutrition plans designed personally for them like they do in the NBA.

They did have a S&C coach, but one that makes a fraction of an NBA S&C coach so of a lower quality, and they had limited time to work with said coach since they were spread pretty thin working with everyone and the time limits for student athletes to be working with coaches. Lots of rules where they can't interact with coaches for portions of the offseason as well.

It's night and day to have a team to work with you personally like Scottie has and Koloko started working with to get ready for the draft. That's why we saw such big improvements in skills and their body composition from where they finished their NCAA seasons.

Comment

I went to college in the USA, University of Florida and Georgia Tech, I knew basketball and football players are both schools. Speaking from experience here. They ate the same shitty cafeteria food as me, and were given paper bag lunches with a sandwich and chips when they couldn't get to the dining hall. They absolutely did not have nutrition plans designed personally for them like they do in the NBA.

They did have a S&C coach, but one that makes a fraction of an NBA S&C coach so of a lower quality, and they had limited time to work with said coach since they were spread pretty thin working with everyone and the time limits for student athletes to be working with coaches. Lots of rules where they can't interact with coaches for portions of the offseason as well.

It's night and day to have a team to work with you personally like Scottie has and Koloko started working with to get ready for the draft. That's why we saw such big improvements in skills and their body composition from where they finished their NCAA seasons.
                                UVic when I attended had really really good food options when they revamped their cafeteria.. you could even get belgium waffles customized and gelatto.

Comment

Working...
                                X