Everything Christian Koloko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

He was not the best .. shot poorly from 3 and shot poorly from the field....
    46% overall & 50% from 3 is considered shooting poorly?!

https://basketball.realgm.com/player...Summary/151325

[QUOTE=TrueTorontoFan;n1440296
    I am happy with koloko it shouldn't be a contest at this point in the draft.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the 2nd part as it takes 3 or 4 years for a player to develop. Offensively he is quite raw so its going to take some time for him to develop & get meaningful minutes. Hopefully he will be more than another Bizmack.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

46% overall & 50% from 3 is considered shooting poorly?!

https://basketball.realgm.com/player...Summary/151325

I agree with the 2nd part as it takes 3 or 4 years for a player to develop. Offensively he is quite raw so its going to take some time for him to develop & get meaningful minutes. Hopefully he will be more than another Bizmack.
      He shot 27.4% from 3 so yeah not great.
      https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...cgowens-1.html

He isn't bismack... bismack, like precious struggle to do things like even catch a ball routinely. Koloko is much more advanced from that end than precious was. He needs to get stronger ... he also struggles finishing when he goes to his left hand.

Comment

He shot 27.4% from 3 so yeah not great.
        https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...cgowens-1.html

He isn't bismack... bismack, like precious struggle to do things like even catch a ball routinely. Koloko is much more advanced from that end than precious was. He needs to get stronger ... he also struggles finishing when he goes to his left hand.
        It's weird but on this forum we love to compare players to former Raptors. Really limits the quality of the analogies.

The Clint Capela comparison is the best I've seen. Much much much better comparison than Bismack. If Bismack had never played for the Raptors no one would make that comparison.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

It's weird but on this forum we love to compare players to former Raptors. Really limits the quality of the analogies.
          We can only compare from what we know best and we always over value players we want to trade for.

Funny thing Capela was the guy I wanted the Raptors to pick in their draft but instead Masai picked Bruno.

That's the thing with selecting a player based on need and not BPA. Yes I know the arguments of not having enough minutes sometimes for BPA but Desmond Bane would've been really helpful today.

Koloko has ways to go and it appears to be more of a project this year than a serviceable player we can take into the playoffs with. But who knows maybe he can catch on fast and by mid season will find his way.

Comment

We can only compare from what we know best and we always over value players we want to trade for.

Funny thing Capela was the guy I wanted the Raptors to pick in their draft but instead Masai picked Bruno.

That's the thing with selecting a player based on need and not BPA. Yes I know the arguments of not having enough minutes sometimes for BPA but Desmond Bane would've been really helpful today.

Koloko has ways to go and it appears to be more of a project this year than a serviceable player we can take into the playoffs with. But who knows maybe he can catch on fast and by mid season will find his way.
            Capela would be the Koloko’s floor, IMO. I’m hoping for a taller Ibaka. His shooting mechanics are nice for a guy that long.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Capela would be the Koloko’s floor, IMO. I’m hoping for a taller Ibaka. His shooting mechanics are nice for a guy that long.
              I am pretty sure Ibaka is Koloko model to emulate and hopefully it would work out.

Comment

Bruno was a huge miss, can't argue with that. Definitely think Masai learned from it, we haven't selected foreign unknowns who didn't work out for us since then. His measurables were insane but the basketball skills were 8+ years off.

Taller Ibaka is another much better comp for Koloko than Bismack, and he's a former Raptor, let's stick with that one.

Comment

Bruno was a huge miss, can't argue with that. Definitely think Masai learned from it, we haven't selected foreign unknowns who didn't work out for us since then. His measurables were insane but the basketball skills were 8+ years off.

Taller Ibaka is another much better comp for Koloko than Bismack, and he's a former Raptor, let's stick with that one.
                  Continuing with the Ibaka comparison.

Ibaka was 20 years old his first season in the NBA. Just like Koloko.

His stats were
                  18 mpg
                  6.4 pts
                  5.4 reb
                  1.3 blk

I think these are reasonable expectations for Koloko this season.

Ibaka didn't add a 3 ball until his 6th season but the league was different back then, I'd expect Koloko to start adding it this season.

Comment

The Clint Capela comparison is the best I've seen. Much much much better comparison than Bismack. If Bismack had never played for the Raptors no one would make that comparison.
                    I think a better shooting Robert Williams combined with a taller Ibaka is fairer. I think he has better overall court vision than Ibaka because.. Ibaka did not like to pass.

His FT stroke and percentage jump in college and what we have seen thus far is very encouraging. As was his one 3 point shot. It didn't make me freak out looked natural nice mechanics. Capella was a great player heck is ... but Capella had to learn how to shoot properly and that took a while. HE is also a much better communicator than Uncle Biz was. He is also a much more fluid athelete go back and watch biyombo have to make decisions or have to even back down for a second.. he couldn't. He is a shot blocker so if you want that comparison yes he will be like ibaka in that sense.

Just for a comparison point we will make it easy by looking at free throws. For his entire CAREER Biyombo has shot a high of 61.1% and a low of 46.4% shooting an average of 2.1 attempts a game and a career percentage of 53%. Koloko shot 73.5% and averaged 3.7 FT atteempts per game last season.

Bismack was 6'8 height wise too compared to Koloko who is 7 feet 7.5 wing span.

Koloko had a 1.4:1.6 assist to turnover ratio .... averaging that many assists early on is a good sign. Bis on the other hand started his career with 0.4:1.0 ratio and it has increased to 0.4:0.6

Example of a recent game frmo this year of Biyombo 5 seconds in watch the free throw shooting form.

I understand the reasoning behind the comparison but it doesn't do Koloko justice.
                    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Sun Jul 10, 2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

His stats were
                      18 mpg
                      6.4 pts
                      5.4 reb
                      1.3 blk

Ibaka didn't add a 3 ball until his 6th season but the league was different back then, I'd expect Koloko to start adding it this season.
                      Yeah I think by mid season I expect him to largely outplay Birch and average right around 15-18 minutes a game. The points and rebounds are spot on that is a good marker.

Comment

His stats were
                        18 mpg
                        6.4 pts
                        5.4 reb
                        1.3 blk

I don't think Koloko is going to get anything close to 18 minutes, maybe half of that.

A healthy Birch is still better at this point and no way Nurse plays an inexperienced guy who is still very green over him.

905 will be his home for the majority of his season.

Comment

• Probably right about mostly 905 but unless we plan on making the finals he should get solid reps on the big squad. The more he gets the more he improves

Comment

• And even if serge developed 3 late thats a tall order. Serge was one of the best shooters on our team. Miss his shooting reliability

Comment

I don't think Koloko is going to get anything close to 18 minutes, maybe half of that.

A healthy Birch is still better at this point and no way Nurse plays an inexperienced guy who is still very green over him.

905 will be his home for the majority of his season.

Think about it this way. Birch has knee issues and opted to under go surgery this off season which he announced in May. You assume he is MAYBE ready to start off the season... that presents some opportunity there. Then on top of that he presents a unique skill set with his hot blocking and as long as he doesn't have any offensive downsides decision making wise yeah I don't see why 10-15 minutes isn't doable and at times 18 minutes will be seen. Combine that with yes 905 time. He is less raw than Banton was last year. You also want to decrease the minutes on OG, Pascal, and Precious from playing center minutes defensvely because of the toll it takes as well as Barnes. Those are good minutes but those are more cruicial for playoffs rather than now.

18 minutes may be a bit ambitious but don't be surprised if you see between 10-15 and combine that with some serious 905 time to accelerate his development.

Comment

Think about it this way. Birch has knee issues and opted to under go surgery this off season which he announced in May. You assume he is MAYBE ready to start off the season... that presents some opportunity there. Then on top of that he presents a unique skill set with his hot blocking and as long as he doesn't have any offensive downsides decision making wise yeah I don't see why 10-15 minutes isn't doable and at times 18 minutes will be seen. Combine that with yes 905 time. He is less raw than Banton was last year. You also want to decrease the minutes on OG, Pascal, and Precious from playing center minutes defensvely because of the toll it takes as well as Barnes. Those are good minutes but those are more cruicial for playoffs rather than now.
                                Don't try to convince me, convince Nurse. As soon as he loses trust in you, he is going to give the minutes to someone else.

Koloko will foul a whole lot & other than some pick & pop action + scoring in transition, he will be quite limited. By all means throw him out there on occasions (would really like to see if he can bother Embiid).

Remember even Thad said that the schemes the Raptors run are one of the most complicated in the whole league cause you need to know how to do everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X