• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Great call.
    Ahem.

golden wrote: View Post

I think Brooks could be the surprise player on the roster, if given a real chance and proper role. He came in and played excellent, scrappy defense right off the bat. That shows a high IQ to grasp Nurse’s complex systems. He was getting into a groove near the end of the season, but then Nurse started to tighten up the rotation to prep for the playoffs. Armoni didn’t do anything wrong to lose his spot.

He’s been a lights out 3-pt shooter everywhere except the NBA, so if he gets that going then he could be valuable as the combo guard off the bench that we need. We need to develop a lot more cheap depth, like we used to.

Comment

• Koloko has a lot of potential. Young, hungry big that is a bit awkward, but shows signs of being a pretty good player. He does have some good foot work. Not much of a game offensively, but that can come with time. Good free throw shooting form. Took a 3 and miss, but wasn't a bad shot either. Some of his fouls were questionable, but some weren't. He's got to figure out how to play defense without fouling. Took Pascal a few years to figure that out too though.

Brooks turned into a chucker, but helped win the game for us. Didn't like some of his decisions but was mostly affective. He seems to have a bit of Terrence Davis in his game.. not so much the athleticism, but the ability to hit big shots in ideal moments. I was thinking he'd be an easy cut considering he only has $50K guaranteed. But at this point he's the front runner for the 15th spot. Surprised he didn't start.

No idea who Downtin was, but he wasn't really that bad. He was a bit chaotic at times, but seemed to be our best playmaker. Finished with 9 assists.

Banton had a tough first half.. just way too many careless turnovers. His shot looks much better though. Hit two nice 3's. Could use some work still in the playmaking department. From this one game I didn't see much improvement there. Don't think we could quite trust him to be our backup PG, but definitely should be part of the rotation. His second half was so much better.

Not quite sold on Harper Jr. His defense was pretty meh. Didn't really stand out. David Johnson still looks like he belongs in the G-league. I don't think we give him another 2-way. DJ Wilson had a pretty crappy game for just netting $250K from us. Is Kurucs the white Euro that we used to replace Dekker from last season? Either way, he's really frenetic. Nice cutting and passing at times, but meh. Was a team high +32 though. Still surprised we brought him in considering his domestic abuse situation.

Was really hoping to see Barcello. He apparently got 1 minute in the game. Hopefully we see him next time.

Good to see this young Raptor team withstand Philly's big run there. It was their solid defense that helped them win. They created like 22 turnovers.. had 16 themselves, so not great.. but good enough to end up with a blow out win.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Koloko has a lot of potential. Young, hungry big that is a bit awkward, but shows signs of being a pretty good player. He does have some good foot work. Not much of a game offensively, but that can come with time. Good free throw shooting form. Took a 3 and miss, but wasn't a bad shot either. Some of his fouls were questionable, but some weren't. He's got to figure out how to play defense without fouling. Took Pascal a few years to figure that out too though.

Brooks turned into a chucker, but helped win the game for us. Didn't like some of his decisions but was mostly affective. He seems to have a bit of Terrence Davis in his game.. not so much the athleticism, but the ability to hit big shots in ideal moments. I was thinking he'd be an easy cut considering he only has $50K guaranteed. But at this point he's the front runner for the 15th spot. Surprised he didn't start.

No idea who Downtin was, but he wasn't really that bad. He was a bit chaotic at times, but seemed to be our best playmaker. Finished with 9 assists.

Banton had a tough first half.. just way too many careless turnovers. His shot looks much better though. Hit two nice 3's. Could use some work still in the playmaking department. From this one game I didn't see much improvement there. Don't think we could quite trust him to be our backup PG, but definitely should be part of the rotation. His second half was so much better.

Not quite sold on Harper Jr. His defense was pretty meh. Didn't really stand out. David Johnson still looks like he belongs in the G-league. I don't think we give him another 2-way. DJ Wilson had a pretty crappy game for just netting $250K from us. Is Kurucs the white Euro that we used to replace Dekker from last season? Either way, he's really frenetic. Nice cutting and passing at times, but meh. Was a team high +32 though. Still surprised we brought him in considering his domestic abuse situation.

Was really hoping to see Barcello. He apparently got 1 minute in the game. Hopefully we see him next time.

Good to see this young Raptor team withstand Philly's big run there. It was their solid defense that helped them win. They created like 22 turnovers.. had 16 themselves, so not great.. but good enough to end up with a blow out win.
        I loved Koloko's reads of the defence. He knows what to do but needs to get stronger and needs some work on the shooting but as you said it will come ...didn't make bad decisions offensively.

Everything you said was spot on. Koloko will definitely get a 3 year deal from what I have seen so far.

"Is Kurucs the white Euro that we used to replace Dekker from last season?" nope
        Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Sat Jul 9, 2022, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• 4 years with a team option in the 4 would be worth the gamble on Koloko. Give him the same salary scale as the last pick of the first round.

He’s a bit more polished than I thought he would be. I’m not sure he’ll be in the rotation this year but who knows.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            4 years with a team option in the 4 would be worth the gamble on Koloko. Give him the same salary scale as the last pick of the first round.

He’s a bit more polished than I thought he would be. I’m not sure he’ll be in the rotation this year but who knows.

Not sure if they can offer that.

I think he wlil be a rotation player keep in mind summer league allows the coaching staff to give him key things to work on heading into training camp which is months away.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Koloko has a lot of potential. Young, hungry big that is a bit awkward, but shows signs of being a pretty good player. He does have some good foot work. Not much of a game offensively, but that can come with time. Good free throw shooting form. Took a 3 and miss, but wasn't a bad shot either. Some of his fouls were questionable, but some weren't. He's got to figure out how to play defense without fouling. Took Pascal a few years to figure that out too though.

I thought Brooks being aggressive was a good thing. He needs to be a "chucker" in Summer League. He was passive and a bit too pass-first last season when he joined the Raps. Obviously, he was on the bubble on 10-day and was trying to be the ideal teammates.. playing defense and distributing. But this is his time to show his full game. Shooters gotta shoot. He's still fighting for a place in the NBA.

Comment

4 years with a team option in the 4 would be worth the gamble on Koloko. Give him the same salary scale as the last pick of the first round.

So he will end up like Jalen Brunson and resent the Raptors for keeping him on minimum salary for 4 years?! lol

Probably give him 3 years with the 3rd year being a player option something that he can negotiate and be happy with.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

So he will end up like Jalen Brunson and resent the Raptors for keeping him on minimum salary for 4 years?! lol

Probably give him 3 years with the 3rd year being a player option something that he can negotiate and be happy with.
                  Brunson had no problem with his first rookie deal. The resentment was because the Mavs didn't offer ANY rookie extension deals when they had 2 chances to do it. A max rookie extension could have had him at basically half price of what the Knicks just paid.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Brunson had no problem with his first rookie deal. The resentment was because the Mavs didn't offer ANY rookie extension deals when they had 2 chances to do it. A max rookie extension could have had him at basically half price of what the Knicks just paid.
                    brunson ... the knicks hired his dad and also like you said they didn't offer him the extensions when they had the chance. The raptors should definitely extend what ever contract they need to to get Koloko's bird rights.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Correct, exact opposite of what Masai does.

Comment

3rd year player option is a bad idea because you lose the bird rights on a contract like that and you run into a situation like we are in now with GTJ... you also run the risk that he opts out of his 3rd year and then you have to give him a raise at the same time as negotiating with OG, Precious, and Siakam if siakam doesn't sign a max extension in the fall.

Comment

Resent them for signing him to a regular rookie deal as if he was drafted in the first round ?… seems weird

Comment

• Lock the kid in and give him security.

Comment

• only real stand out for me was koloko. it goes without saying he needs to be schemed to stay near the key.

Comment

I despise those 4 year deals. Every time a team decides to keep the 4th year option it ends up being a massive mistake. Don't give yourself the option to screw up that decision, just sign guys to three years.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X