No announcement yet.

Everything NBA Summer League 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• it could be a value contract in 3 and 4... if the player is a bust I could see why 3 or 4 might be problematic, but if you know you'll need to develop a guy for the first couple years, 4 years isn't necessarily that bad.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
      it could be a value contract in 3 and 4... if the player is a bust I could see why 3 or 4 might be problematic, but if you know you'll need to develop a guy for the first couple years, 4 years isn't necessarily that bad.
      if its a minimum deal worst case scenario you have a guy taking up a roster spot unnecessarily like we have now with svi... i dont see that in this casae.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

if its a minimum deal worst case scenario you have a guy taking up a roster spot unnecessarily like we have now with svi... i dont see that in this casae.
        Ya, I’m with you. Bigs take longer to develop as well. The benefit of the shorter contract would be, you can re-up him for a longer term contract when he’s just starting to give you more meaningful minutes. That second contract would probably be cheaper for that reason.

It comes down to if he wants to “bet on himself” and try to get a big contract after proving himself after 2 years, or if he wants the security of a 3-4 year contract.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          it could be a value contract in 3 and 4... if the player is a bust I could see why 3 or 4 might be problematic, but if you know you'll need to develop a guy for the first couple years, 4 years isn't necessarily that bad.
          Four years is VERY bad.

After three years the player is RFA.

After four years they are UFA.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• If that’s the case, then yes three years is better

Comment

• Well that's sucks.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                Well that's sucks.

Yeah big time sucks. Our coaching staff needed to see Champagnie's development to determine if we should hold a roster spot for him or not. Let's hope he recovers for training camp, but a fracture could take weeks/months.

Really promising from last season. But if he can't play/train, he might be an easy cut (see DeAndre Daniels from a few years back).

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Four years is VERY bad.

Even as an RFA we could get out bid if a team throws a contract his way that is larger than the non tax payer midlevel, as we'd only have his Early Bird Rights.

So there is a gamble he could walk as a UFA, but we'd at least have his full bird rights.

EDIT - sorry, early bird is for players who are free agents after 2 years, not 3. We'd have his full bird rights. So yeah, I'd prefer a 3 year deal too then.
                  Last edited by planetmars; Sun Jul 10, 2022, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Even as an RFA we could get out bid if a team throws a contract his way that is larger than the non tax payer midlevel, as we'd only have his Early Bird Rights.

So there is a gamble he could walk as a UFA, but we'd at least have his full bird rights.

EDIT - sorry, early bird is for players who are free agents after 2 years, not 3. We'd have his full bird rights. So yeah, I'd prefer a 3 year deal too then.
                    Yes, this is why three year Bird Rights are the obvious way to go.

That said, the Early Bird case does not prevent us from matching a higher offer, it's called the Gilbert Arenas provision and it just leads to the offer having a salary leap in year three. We could still match any offer, just couldn't offer more than the Norm Powell extension on our own.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Really promising from last season. But if he can't play/train, he might be an easy cut (see DeAndre Daniels from a few years back).
                      I think he showed more than enough up until now to warrant an extension. It's not the DeAndre Daniel's (it was the right call) but the Oshea Brissett that was cut prematurely due to injury.

Probably be ready to training camp as it's in the end of September.

Comment

• who is jeff dowtin i like his game

Comment

Four years is VERY bad.

can you have a 4 year with the last year being a team option?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

can you have a 4 year with the last year being a team option?
                            You can, but this is exactly the situation teams should avoid. Picking up that team option is ALWAYS a bad idea. ALWAYS. Why leave yourself open to a future mistake when you have no reason to do so?
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

You can, but this is exactly the situation teams should avoid. Picking up that team option is ALWAYS a bad idea. ALWAYS. Why leave yourself open to a future mistake when you have no reason to do so?
                              I think Lu Dort had a 4 year super team-friendly contract, and OKC just declined the team option and signed him to a 5 year deal at market.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I think Lu Dort had a 4 year super team-friendly contract, and OKC just declined the team option and signed him to a 5 year deal at market.
                                Yep! They made the smart call. My only question is, why ever leave yourself a choice when one side of that choice is always wrong?
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X