Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars
    replied
    Was a pretty fun 5th game with nobody really important playing. Well other than Koloko who was easily the best Raptor in my opinion. He only played about 15 minutes though. Just a big presence defensively again, but did a lot more on offense in that one. Hit a 3. Was 5/10 overall.

Finally got to see Barcello play. He's basically somewhere between Fred and Malachi. He's got a lot of poise, but I heard they said he played 5 years in college, so would be older than everyone else. Because of his size, guys can shoot over top of him. So he has that same disadvantage that Fred and Malachi have. But I love his stroke. I think he has a place on an NBA roster as hired gun off the bench. But I don't think he makes our roster - we already have 2 guys that are too short, and we love size.

Hawkins got a lot of minutes in this one.. but he was really cold. Went 3-12 from 3, but had 9 boards, and was a team high +24. He's not the greatest defender but he tries. I think he has a shot of making an NBA team.

Kurucs was pretty bad in this one.. still a bull in a china shop. Didn't get a point in 20 minutes.

Harper Jr's shot was off. His defense could have been better at times too. I'm kind of surprised that they gave him a 2-way deal already. After watching SL, I wouldn't think he was a shoe in to make the team. I would have rather given a shot to Hawkins. He's going to have a David Johnson type of season I suspect. Meaning he'll likely spend his entire season in the G-league.

Kigab had an impressive game. Not sure why he didn't get much burn in the other 4 games.

Raptors ended 4-1, and seemed to have the 2nd or 3rd best record. Small sample size of course, but that's pretty impressive considering we had no lottery level picks on the team (well except for DJ Wilson, but that was a few years back now).

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    I liked what I saw from Barcello... reminded me a bit of FVV. He stood out because he was actually playing under control and making smart reads, not forcing anything. In stark comparison to everybody else, who were playing way too fast and looking desperate to impress with their last chance to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I'm starting to like Koloko's potential as a defender, but his lack of rebounding is worrisome
    He consistently blocks out his man. Since his man is usually a big guy, that should open up the paint for his teammates to grab the ball in the paint. It doesn't happen often enough.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    blackjitsu wrote: View Post

My guess is they rested all the players that they know they are taking to camp? (Should Johnson get a camp invite?)

Of what little of the game that I caught Kigab looked really interesting. Too bad this was his first playtime. I hope he gets an Exhibit 10 somewhere.

I'm starting to like Koloko's potential as a defender, but his lack of rebounding is worrisome
    there weren't many other guys boxing out to be fair

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• blackjitsu
    replied
    Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
    So.. while it wasn't for the championship, the Raptors did play today (beat Milwaukee). Not surprisingly, DJ Wilson was a DNP-CD, but so was Dowtin, Brooks, Banton, and Johnson. Perhaps most surprising is David Johnson, since he didn't appear to show much in the first few games.
    My guess is they rested all the players that they know they are taking to camp? (Should Johnson get a camp invite?)

Of what little of the game that I caught Kigab looked really interesting. Too bad this was his first playtime. I hope he gets an Exhibit 10 somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Ebonhawke
    replied
    So.. while it wasn't for the championship, the Raptors did play today (beat Milwaukee). Not surprisingly, DJ Wilson was a DNP-CD, but so was Dowtin, Brooks, Banton, and Johnson. Perhaps most surprising is David Johnson, since he didn't appear to show much in the first few games.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    Too bad the Raptors couldn't get to 18 points... they were up 23 at a point and I thought they had it.. but a run from the Heat was too much. Brooks continued to chuck in that one. Made a few big buckets, but man his chucking was insufferable at times.. especially in the 4th where he kept turning it over.

Banton had some careless turnovers. He had a great buzzer beating 3 point shot. That shot is looking really smooth.. but if he keeps turning it over he's not playing. He's playing the game way too fast. He's young, and needs the game to really slow down. It's not a sprint man. Just slow your roll, figure out where your teammates are and make a play. Dowtin has that figured out, but he's more mature. I think he's 25 years old already. But I like his poise. That's what Banton needs.

Kurucs is fun to watch in a weird way. SL ball is so gross most of the time, but Kurucs is like a bull in a china shop. He's trying super hard. I don't think he's all that good, but he made some good plays last night.

Koloko was insane on defense. He ended with 3 steals and 3 blocks.. but felt like more. Great rim presence. I don't see a great rebounder though. Doesn't have great hands. Very Biyombo like at times. He has the length to tap the ball away from guys but in the NBA that will be a struggle. It wasn't just yesterday either.. It's something he has to work on. Of course nobody can pass it to him. Dowtin tried a lob and he messed it up. He had one sweet back to basket in the post that he made. The fouling has to slow down too. They were making fun of how many times the guy fouls in a game.

Our defense created a lot of offense for us. Lot of transition points. That length is hard to beat, and Miami struggled against it.. but the 4th quarter was a bit of a let down. Were up big and then the Heat made it a 5 point game at one point.

Still get to play a 5th game but its not for a chip. We play Milwaukee at 4:00pm EST on Sunday. Hope its televised.
    they got nervous and started playing hero ball

Banton especially was someone who had trouble determining where to drive and how to navigate screens at times but he has gotten better.

Koloko is so much better than biyombo and I am sticking to that. He moves so fast for a 7 footer and his positioning and ability to call things out is really at an NBA rotation level TODAY. He needs to work on his fitness level because he looked gassed in the second game 4 minutes into the first.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Too bad the Raptors couldn't get to 18 points... they were up 23 at a point and I thought they had it.. but a run from the Heat was too much. Brooks continued to chuck in that one. Made a few big buckets, but man his chucking was insufferable at times.. especially in the 4th where he kept turning it over.

Banton had some careless turnovers. He had a great buzzer beating 3 point shot. That shot is looking really smooth.. but if he keeps turning it over he's not playing. He's playing the game way too fast. He's young, and needs the game to really slow down. It's not a sprint man. Just slow your roll, figure out where your teammates are and make a play. Dowtin has that figured out, but he's more mature. I think he's 25 years old already. But I like his poise. That's what Banton needs.

Kurucs is fun to watch in a weird way. SL ball is so gross most of the time, but Kurucs is like a bull in a china shop. He's trying super hard. I don't think he's all that good, but he made some good plays last night.

Koloko was insane on defense. He ended with 3 steals and 3 blocks.. but felt like more. Great rim presence. I don't see a great rebounder though. Doesn't have great hands. Very Biyombo like at times. He has the length to tap the ball away from guys but in the NBA that will be a struggle. It wasn't just yesterday either.. It's something he has to work on. Of course nobody can pass it to him. Dowtin tried a lob and he messed it up. He had one sweet back to basket in the post that he made. The fouling has to slow down too. They were making fun of how many times the guy fouls in a game.

Our defense created a lot of offense for us. Lot of transition points. That length is hard to beat, and Miami struggled against it.. but the 4th quarter was a bit of a let down. Were up big and then the Heat made it a 5 point game at one point.

Still get to play a 5th game but its not for a chip. We play Milwaukee at 4:00pm EST on Sunday. Hope its televised.

Leave a comment:

• TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    grindhouse wrote: View Post
    they made a good run almost had the 18
    i stopped watching at the 2 minute mark

Leave a comment:

• grindhouse
    replied
    they made a good run almost had the 18

Leave a comment:

• grindhouse