The Raptors and KD. Let's discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Nets first need to trade Simmons to give them more options to get the young all-star they want.
    No one wants Simmons. No one wants Irving. Trying to maneuver around them is an unavoidable problem for the Nets. I’m sure they’d love to orchestrate a deal or connected deals that gets rid of all of them but hard to see that with the byzantine CBA rules.

This is all just a holding phase. Offers will be tweaked and adjusted and eventually Brooklyn will run out of time and will take the best offer. No, they won’t get everything they want cause that’s not how deals work but they will get enough.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
      I do think the idea that FVV may be in a KD deal is interesting. I can't see why the Nets would want that, but the absolute dream scenario for the Raptors, I would think, would be a deal that sends FVV and Gary as the key pieces (all star, young piece with promise) along with a pile of picks. That lets them keep their all wings concept and just add an all world scorer to it.

As long as the Raps haven't signed FVV to his extension it remains an option. I don't think FVV not signing yet is an indication of anything (they've done vet extensions way late into off-seasons before), but it's still fun to think about even though the deal just doesn't make much sense to me from a Brooklyn perspective, although maybe what they want is different from what I think they should want.

The hesitation from the Raptors side would be from a leadership and shooting perspective. Which is fair. Of course, you lose the same shooting if it's an OG and Trent deal...
      Why don't you like FVV fit on the Nets? He's a lights out shooter and great off ball as well as on ball. I think he'd be an excellent complement to Simmons skillset.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Why don't you like FVV fit on the Nets? He's a lights out shooter and great off ball as well as on ball. I think he'd be an excellent complement to Simmons skillset.
        The bias is real as far as DanH is concerned.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

The bias is real as far as DanH is concerned.
          To me Scottie is the difficult fit next to Simmons. Everyone else on our roster with value fits really well with him in my opinion.

Comment

Fred is a perfect fit for what Joe Tsai is looking for. He's wants a hard-working team that scratches & claws to get into the play-in, that he can be proud of. Fred can be that guy.

Comment

Nets first need to trade Simmons to give them more options to get the young all-star they want.
              Why is that? I think that of all the players on that team he is the least likely to be traded. There's a recency bias going on here with him. It's horrible timing to trade him.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

Why is that? I think that of all the players on that team he is the least likely to be traded. There's a recency bias going on here with him. It's horrible timing to trade him.
                He's saying they need to deal Simmons so they can take back someone on a rookie max deal. That rule is what has massively contracted their trade options to the Raptors and a few others. Pascal got a 4 year rookie max which doesn't preclude a trade, but anyone signed to a 5 year rookie max can't be traded to the Nets because they're only allowed to have 1 that wasn't signed by them to that deal and Simmons is taking that spot.

Comment

Nothing to do with recency bias. You can't have any 2 of these players (including Simmons) on your team, because of the Designated Rookie exception rule. These are the guys that the Nets want, especially Booker and Bam, if it's a Suns or Heat deal. If Simmons isn't on the Nets, then it opens up more trade possibilities and teams to participate.

Comment

Nothing to do with recency bias. You can't have any 2 of these players (including Simmons) on your team, because of the Designated Rookie exception rule. These are the guys that the Nets want, especially Booker and Bam, if it's a Suns or Heat deal. If Simmons isn't on the Nets, then it opens up more trade possibilities and teams to participate.

Ok, but if they wait a year on Simmons he'll be worth a lot more than fat, lazy, constantly disgruntled and washed-up James Harden and he might be a core long term piece to the puzzle. Selling at the lowest point of Ben Simmons to get something a little better for Durant might end up being a net negative move. Despite his shooting woes he's still arguably the best defender in the league, a walking triple double, almost seven foot and only 25 years old.

Also, of that list, which players are realistically available for KD? Are those guys better than Ben Simmons?
                    Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jul 8, 2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Ok, but if they wait a year on Simmons he'll be worth a lot more than fat, lazy, constantly disgruntled and washed-up James Harden and he might be a core long term piece to the puzzle. Selling at the lowest point of Ben Simmons to get something a little better for Durant might end up being a net negative move. Despite his shooting woes he's still arguably the best defender in the league, a walking triple double, almost seven foot and only 25 years old.

Also, of that list, which players are realistically available for KD? Are those guys better than Ben Simmons?
                      Yep, now is the worst time possible to trade Simmons, and if they're smart they'll help him get his head right and build around him.

Comment

Yep, now is the worst time possible to trade Simmons, and if they're smart they'll help him get his head right and build around him.
                        And exactly how are the Nets going to help Simmons "get his head right"? Is that even doable? And can you really build around a PG without a jump shot in the modern NBA?

Comment

I totally agree, Simmons is like a depreciating Crypto at this very moment lol

rehabilitation work, maybe a full season or the very least trade deadline.

Comment

Oh, I think he'd be a great fit (almost anywhere, frankly), but so too would OG and he's much more in line with the age/timeline/upside swing you'd like to see in a Durant type deal. But if they are satisfied with FVV meeting the all-star criteria, I have no opposition to that at all.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Oh, I think he'd be a great fit (almost anywhere, frankly), but so too would OG and he's much more in line with the age/timeline/upside swing you'd like to see in a Durant type deal. But if they are satisfied with FVV meeting the all-star criteria, I have no opposition to that at all.
                              Add Birch to any deal

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Add Birch to any deal
                                I've been throwing him in wherever needed for salary. But an FVV/Gary deal wouldn't need him (though a super deal of FVV/Gary/Khem/Malachi/Svi/Brooks for KD and Joe Harris works and I kind of love it).
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X