The Raptors and KD. Let's discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

My point is just that if the logic is that we would NEED to upgrade the bench, I don't see how we do that after sending a pile of assets for KD. Are we relying on ring chasers signing for the minimum?
    There’s be the buyout market and the ring chasers. There’s always ways contenders improve at the trade deadline as well. You don’t need to calculate to the end game here - there will be opportunities.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
      what specifically are you wanting to replace in fred?

Fred should be off ball on our current team. If KD is here you still may not initiate offence with him but you still involve him in every set and play. KD is a 98th percentile offensive player across all offensive metrics. Fred is 91st... but the gap between 91st and 98th is wider than one thinks. Downgrade at point of attack defence but other guys can step up with that one. Same level of passer in terms of his passer rating.
      I just wrote that you can replace his production. It reads like you think the same. What are you looking for here?

Comment

• I think it's a real long shot to assume "guys can just step up" into the roles OG and Fred filled.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I don't think the Nets want to make this trade with the Raps. It's one thing to send KD to another conference where they see him twice a season and a completely different situation when he's a divisional rival. The package they would want from the Raps would need to somewhat exceed what they would want from the Suns. They don't want to run into the Raps in the playoffs the next 4 years with KD unless they can level the playing field through this trade.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
            I don't think the Nets want to make this trade with the Raps. It's one thing to send KD to another conference where they see him twice a season and a completely different situation when he's a divisional rival. The package they would want from the Raps would need to somewhat exceed what they would want from the Suns. They don't want to run into the Raps in the playoffs the next 4 years with KD unless they can level the playing field through this trade.
            This is fair, but there have been recent hilarious examples of NHL teams taking lesser packages to get their player into the other conference only for the receiving team to flip them back to the original conference for a much bigger return. I doubt there would be an immediate flip of KD but who knows, he could be asking for another trade a year from now...

Teams are generally better off just taking the best offer available.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I just wrote that you can replace his production. It reads like you think the same. What are you looking for here?
              I misread my bad

Comment

I'm not the one who said the bench needed to be upgraded. That is not my position.

My position is, IF we did need to after such a move, we have no real path to doing so.
                buyout, trading trent, trading boucher

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  I don't think the Nets want to make this trade with the Raps. It's one thing to send KD to another conference where they see him twice a season and a completely different situation when he's a divisional rival. The package they would want from the Raps would need to somewhat exceed what they would want from the Suns. They don't want to run into the Raps in the playoffs the next 4 years with KD unless they can level the playing field through this trade.
                  this is short sighted from a team building stand point... either way their immediate goal is being better than the knicks.

Comment

Keep weakening that already-weak bench, huh?

More and more, I don't expect a Durant trade anywhere for quite some time, unless Brooklyn substantially lowers the asking price. You just can't gut your team for a 34yo and also mortgage your franchise's future. Maybe some other team does it, but Masai has shown he's not one to be impatient (Carmelo trade, for example). Trade deadline deal this year, maybe.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                      Also, from some light reading, the Pacers still don’t have max room. Could that mean they would have to sign and trade? Do we help them out? Also interesting…is it just the internet that is willing this signing to happen or has a credible source said anything more than “it makes sense”?
                      This is about as direct a quote I have heard from one who has recently been validated as a pretty good source. All we need is a little “What …is….going…on..in…Indiana?”

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

This is about as direct a quote I have heard from one who has recently been validated as a pretty good source. All we need is a little “What …is….going…on..in…Indiana?”

Don't know if this is the case, but there's always rumblings about the Pacers ownership being cheap. Could it be that they actually prefer to do a sign & trade to dump Turner and not use their cap space? That would keep the total payroll down, but appear like they are still upgrading the team. Just wondering....

Suns (Sarver) is also known as a stingy owner, so maybe this could be a cheap-recognize-cheap situation.

Comment

• Seeing some trades out there (random Twitter) where, in a trade between Indy, Bk and Phx, Nets would get Turner, Bridges and picks. That’s actually not bad. Could we beat that without gutting our team?

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Keep weakening that already-weak bench, huh?

More and more, I don't expect a Durant trade anywhere for quite some time, unless Brooklyn substantially lowers the asking price. You just can't gut your team for a 34yo and also mortgage your franchise's future. Maybe some other team does it, but Masai has shown he's not one to be impatient (Carmelo trade, for example). Trade deadline deal this year, maybe.
                            My crystal ball says that Brooklyn can't go into the season with the Durant and Irving problems lingering. They can't really trade Irving until they see how the Durant trade shakes out, so my guess would be that a trade gets done at some point over the summer. Nets will get back a good package of picks and at least one really good player and everyone will move on. After Marks cleans up the mess, Tsai will fire him and Nash and they will wipe the slate clean with new management.

Comment

Which team out there is trading us an upgrade on those players? What do they get out of it? In this scenario we just traded all our picks for KD.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Which team out there is trading us an upgrade on those players? What do they get out of it? In this scenario we just traded all our picks for KD.
                                the best high five ever. I think for the first year you don't really worry about it in my opinion because I think that team is deep enough. Buy outs. But also if I was able to keep Gary... I'd flip Gary to ATL for Boggy and a future pick that is top 8 protected. It gives you a decent shooter. Older, I dont think he resigns for the same amount that Gary will ask for. They get the younger asset. We get the asset that is more well rounded, and plays better defence. Across all defensive advanced metrics gary ranks in the 27th percentile. Boggy ranks in the 43rd percentile. On offence Boggy ranks in the 93rd percentile vs Gary in the 83rd percentile.

Another alternative is you give another team like Sac balance by giving them boucher for their picks that will always been in the lottery LOL. You take back HB. Again my question is what do you see as the greatest need if the two potential scenarios go down.

Comment

Working...
                                X