The Raptors and KD. Let's discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post
    edit: The jet metaphor was pretty damn slick. C'mon... admit it. lol.
    The jet metaphor ain’t good. You take that jet proposition and fail: you and others will die.

You take an NBA head coaching job and fail:
    things predictably fall to shit and whiny cupcakes make trade demands.

Stakes don’t quite match up there…

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
      The Nets did the same exact thing last time they brought in a bunch of star players when they hired Jason Kidd to be the head coach with no prior coaching experience. He had a mixed bag season, sorta like Nash has had in Brooklyn, then got scooped by the Bucks and had mixed results there too before getting canned. He then did what he should have done in the first place and took an assistant coaching role for 2 seasons, and is now back as a head coach, but more successful this time around. I predict Nash has a similar coaching career trajectory.

If the Nets deal KD and Irving before the season I think Nash is let go as well. If not, he'll probably get one more year to underperform and then get let go.
      This man gets it. People are vigorously defending Nash's lack of qualifications mainly because he's Captain Canada. He shouldn't have taken the job.

Also, Nash's career is very inter-wined with Jason Kidd, as a player and now as a coach. That was a great insight.

Comment

Taking the Nets job, which he admitted he wasn't as qualified as other candidates, was not a flawed proposition? If that's your stance, then we're never going to agree. His flaws were obvious going in and everybody, including Nash, knew it. They were hoping/wishing/praying that his cache with superstars and people management skills would trump those flaws and strike lightning twice, like Steve Kerr.

So Nash is 100% responsible for the consequences of the decision he made. That's how life works: Choices. Decisions. Consequences. He deserves his fate.... firstly, because he asked to be in that position... and secondly, because he couldn't deliver on the superstar ego management skills that he was brought in for.
        There was nothing wrong with him taking the job. Its not his responsibility to ensure he was the most qualified. It was his responsibility to do his best he could after he committed. Can you say he didn't do that? If you can, please explain.

From my experience, life doesn't meet this standard you're throwing at his feet. The most qualified person doesn't always win. There are a lot of legitimate reasons why a company might pass on a more qualified person. I don't know for sure why they picked him over everyone else who was interested but it doesn't matter. They picked him and he showed up and put forth the effort. Nothing else matter from his side of this equation.

And I don't think he side stepped accountability in a disappointing season, did he? It wasn't all his fault though and looking at it objectively I don't know how you could say otherwise.
        Last edited by Apollo; Fri Jul 15, 2022, 04:17 PM.

Comment

This man gets it. People are vigorously defending Nash's lack of qualifications mainly because he's Captain Canada. He shouldn't have taken the job.

Also, Nash's career is very inter-wined with Jason Kidd, as a player and now as a coach. That was a great insight.
          I still think he was right to take the job. He's getting paid millions of dollars and will probably have a lengthy coaching career. It worked out really freaking well for Jason Kidd who has been consistently employed as a coach since he took the Nets job.

The biggest loser was the Milwaukee Bucks who wasted some good years on Kidd.

Comment

• I always thought Nash just wanted to get the job to get the free ring.. one that he didn't get as a player. Like suiting up with the Lakers and playing with Kobe and Howard only to fail there too (although he did get hurt).

Will be interesting to see what happens to him if Nets blow things up.

But I think coaching is not really all that relevant in the NBA. It's all about timing and who you get to coach and when. I still think Casey could have won a ring in 2019 with that roster. That team didn't have to face Lebron. And Casey would have had Kawhi instead of DeMar to ride instead.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

No, that was a team effort. No one in the league could have pulled James Harden out of menopause and convinced Kyrie Irving that the earth isn't flat and that no one is trying to kill him through a vaccine that hundreds of millions took without consequence.

Nash had a 17 year professional playing career, won two MVP's and was coveted for his basketball IQ and on-court leadership. Your jet metaphor didn't make it off the runway.
              Honestly the james harden thing was partially his fault but Kyrie deserves the biggest blame for turning everyone off

Comment

The Nets did the same exact thing last time they brought in a bunch of star players when they hired Jason Kidd to be the head coach with no prior coaching experience. He had a mixed bag season, sorta like Nash has had in Brooklyn, then got scooped by the Bucks and had mixed results there too before getting canned. He then did what he should have done in the first place and took an assistant coaching role for 2 seasons, and is now back as a head coach, but more successful this time around. I predict Nash has a similar coaching career trajectory.

If the Nets deal KD and Irving before the season I think Nash is let go as well. If not, he'll probably get one more year to underperform and then get let go.
                they might give it one more go with him but likely he is gone

Comment

• Not sure if this Windhorst report has been talked about in advance of the pages of whether Nash should’ve taken a job offer or not…

Sounds like Windhorst is reporting that Brooklyn is planning to keep him for now, if he’s to be believed…

See how long they’d be able to go forward as such if so…

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...n-Trade-Offers

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I always thought Nash just wanted to get the job to get the free ring.. one that he didn't get as a player. Like suiting up with the Lakers and playing with Kobe and Howard only to fail there too (although he did get hurt).

But I think coaching is not really all that relevant in the NBA. It's all about timing and who you get to coach and when. I still think Casey could have won a ring in 2019 with that roster. That team didn't have to face Lebron. And Casey would have had Kawhi instead of DeMar to ride instead.
                    Wow! 1000% No Freaking Way!

You are clearly remembering those playoffs wrong because we had many close series and games that Casey 100% would have messed up. Nurse's coaching was a huge factor.

This is on the level of people saying George W Bush was a good president just because so much time has passed since he was president.

Comment

• GOLDBLUM wrote: View Post
                      Not sure if this Windhorst report has been talked about in advance of the pages of whether Nash should’ve taken a job offer or not…

Sounds like Windhorst is reporting that Brooklyn is planning to keep him for now, if he’s to be believed…

See how long they’d be able to go forward as such if so…

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...n-Trade-Offers
                      windhorst also reported that this was posturing before.... again They can PREFER to keep him doesn't mean that they will be able to keep him.

Comment

Wow! 1000% No Freaking Way!

You are clearly remembering those playoffs wrong because we had many close series and games that Casey 100% would have messed up. Nurse's coaching was a huge factor.

This is on the level of people saying George W Bush was a good president just because so much time has passed since he was president.
                        Nah.. I mean we'll never know now, but I don't think coaching really matters to much. There are coach's that are really great at putting together elite systems like Kerr in Golden State. Or being able to communicate to super stars in a way that nobody else can, like Phil in Chicago and then LA. Yet Kerr also struggled to get a playoff team when Curry and Klay were hurt. Phil only always had super stars to work with. Pops couldn't get it done with sub talent like DeMar and Aldridge and he's one of the GOAT coach's in the league.

But I think any coach can win with the right personnel. Frank Vogel is a great example of that. He was a retread that the Lakers hired, and he got them a championship. Yet he was also the coach that couldn't get the Lakers into the play-in let alone the playoffs.

Casey had his faults. he overplayed the wrong guys. Wasn't always tactically sharp. But you give him Kawhi, Marc, and the rest of our depth in 2019 and I think he could have gotten the job done. There weren't many liabilities on that roster. Casey couldn't have played Bebe or Miles in the wrong moments. Or used Scola over other guys that were better. Everyone was great on that roster.

Comment

• Well he secured the bag first so now back to business, this was such a Colangelo like move.

You wonder if Marks before signing the extension had any authority to pull a major move without consultation if the pieces he got back were less than what the shareholders felt was inadequate.

Comment

No one is defending Nash. You just don't seem understand its up to the front office to hire the right person for the job.

If a company hires a person who is under qualified and that position pays $200k, nobody in their right mind will think "I don't have the experience for this position, so I'll decline".

In Nash's case, the Nets knew his experience, they hired him anyway, probably with a stamp of approval from KD and Kyrie.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              I always thought Nash just wanted to get the job to get the free ring.. one that he didn't get as a player. Like suiting up with the Lakers and playing with Kobe and Howard only to fail there too (although he did get hurt).

he had one with the warriors though

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

he had one with the warriors though
                                Forgot they gave him one for his consulting services.

Comment

Working...
                                X