The Raptors and KD. Let's discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

The only reason we should trade for someone of KD's caliber is to win a chip.
    We shouldn't sacrifice our future for a few years of relevance.
    There are other ways to draft a bit higher, or strike gold in the 2nd round like we usually do.
    My guy, if that was the case then why bother with trades? Just hold onto all your assets and count on internal growth only.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

My guy, if that was the case then why bother with trades? Just hold onto all your assets and count on internal growth only.
      We are talking of KD's caliber trade here which is NOT an ordinary trade.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
        Our current core is definitely still developing, but I think maybe we are selling them short thinking they aren't already very good? They nearly hit 50 wins last year in spite of basically every major rotation player missing a quarter of the season. They should project as a low-mid 50's win team this year with no other changes, a team like that is exactly the sort of team you want to add a guy like KD to and think you have a real shot at a chip.
        But we risk losing one or two from that core if we trade for KD.

Comment

But we risk losing one or two from that core if we trade for KD.
          Of course. But you gain KD. I think we all understand how this works. Of course you lose some of your team when you make a trade. That's why it's a trade.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Risk is part of the game. Waiting for the perfect conditions to come along can also be harmful if you wait too long.

Comment

• It's clear some posters here don't realize KD was a MVP candidate last season based on his stats and he also played 44 mpg in the playoffs. If we add him in exchange for Trent and OG we are clear favorites to win the East and in my opinion favorites to win it all. Maybe we meet a healthy Clippers in the finals and have an epic finals matchup. It would be worth it.

Comment

Of course. But you gain KD. I think we all understand how this works. Of course you lose some of your team when you make a trade. That's why it's a trade.
                Well you said this core is good enough to trade for KD.
                if we lose one or two from that core, then that drops drastically.

Comment

If you swap Trent and OG for KD the core gets way better.

Comment

I know!

You don't think DeMar DeRozan was a contributor to the Raptors teams that we had leading up to the Kawhi trade? You take a successful team, you replace one or two valuable pieces of that team with an elite superstar, and you try to win a chip. Very straightforward formula. What's the disconnect here?
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I know!

You don't think DeMar DeRozan was a contributor to the Raptors teams that we had leading up to the Kawhi trade? You take a successful team, you replace one or two valuable pieces of that team with an elite superstar, and you try to win a chip. Very straightforward formula. What's the disconnect here?
                      The disconnect is that we are losing major two pieces instead of just one this time.
                      And imo, 2019 Kawhi is even (slightly) better than 2022 KD.
                      AND our bench was way deeper in 2019 than it is now.
                      Last edited by Kagemusha; Fri Jul 22, 2022, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

If you swap Trent and OG for KD the core gets way better.
                        Things is they wouldn't be OG and Trent.

Comment

The disconnect is that we are losing major two pieces instead of just one this time.
                          And imo, 2019 Kawhi is even (slightly) better than 2022 KD.
                          AND our bench was way deeper in 2019 than it is now.
                          And that 2019 Raptors team is probably the deepest championship team ever, possibly?

You don't have to meet that threshold for it to be a good idea.

We'd be left with a great starting lineup and at least 3 or 4 functional bench pieces. If you have a chance to acquire a superstar and still be able to say that, you do it.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Things is they wouldn't be OG and Trent.
                            What exactly are you arguing? The entire context of a KD trade is that the Raptors are only going to do it if they can build it as an OG/Trent or FVV/Trent package. If you are saying they shouldn't trade Siakam plus other core pieces for KD, yeah, we're all on the same page there.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

And that 2019 Raptors team is probably the deepest championship team ever, possibly?

You don't have to meet that threshold for it to be a good idea.

We'd be left with a great starting lineup and at least 3 or 4 functional bench pieces. If you have a chance to acquire a superstar and still be able to say that, you do it.
                              Not worth it.
                              We still won't beat the bests in the East.
                              Tatum and Brown will be even better and more experienced. So will their already better bench.
                              Giannis and co will be better, so is Miami.

Comment

What exactly are you arguing? The entire context of a KD trade is that the Raptors are only going to do it if they can build it as an OG/Trent or FVV/Trent package. If you are saying they shouldn't trade Siakam plus other core pieces for KD, yeah, we're all on the same page there.
                                I'm not aware of that unrealistic extremely homer context.
                                I was looking at the reports instead.

Comment

Working...
                                X