The Raptors and KD. Let's discuss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    Well after KD's demands, Nets lost even more of their leverage, so they don't dictate what assets they get back.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Well after KD's demands, Nets lost even more of their leverage, so they don't dictate what assets they get back.
      and they just lost more leverage.. it was only a matter of time before he reiterated that he was out

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post

Not many gms can go from having almost no assets to having 3 of the top 5 scorers in the league in the time that Marks did. He made some really smart moves to put that team in the position it was in to get those stars. The mistake he made was listening to KD, if indeed he did. Should have left kyrie and harden where they were and let those younger guys grow and support Durant. That team has no chance at winning anything regardless of who is GM or coach. Bunch of divas and pre-madonnas.
        I don't give Marks any credit for assembling the stars in Brooklyn. KD specifically wanted to play in Brooklyn, fell right into Marks lap, he didn't do shit, the players all colluded to pair up in Brooklyn.

He did completely mismange the situation to where it is now, a total dumpster fire where 2 stars want out and the 3rd may never play because of phantom back issues.

If as GM you totally piss off your star player to where he demands out you did a shitty job.

I'd take KD over Marks any day of the week. You think star players are gonna be clamoring to go play for Marks? I don't think so.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Seems like repeating the same mistakes they just made.
          Marks blew it, he deserves to get fired if that's what KD wants. His one job was to keep KD and Co happy and he blew it.

One of the main jobs of the GM is to keep the star players bought in and happy. He failed miserably.

Now they're left with nothing but bad options, and the worst option is keeping Marks and having KD sit out or traded for pennies on the dollar.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Marks blew it, he deserves to get fired if that's what KD wants. His one job was to keep KD and Co happy and he blew it.

One of the main jobs of the GM is to keep the star players bought in and happy. He failed miserably.

Now they're left with nothing but bad options, and the worst option is keeping Marks and having KD sit out or traded for pennies on the dollar.
            Marks made a mistake giving KD and Kyrie whatever they wanted, but by no means is he a bad GM. They had a nice thing going before they got KD and Kyrie with D'Angelo, Allen and Levert.

If I'm Joe Tsai, I ask Marks to trade KD and Kyrie before firing him. They both have a track record of becoming unhappy on multiple teams. This isn't something new. Kyrie left the Cavs because he didn't want to be under Lebron's shadow, went to Boston, didn't work out and now he is in Brooklyn. KD won championships with the Warriors, was unhappy and made his way to Brooklyn with Kyrie.

If Joe Tsai goes the route of firing Marks and Nash, there is no guarantee Kyrie doesn't walk in FA next season and KD becomes unhappy again.

Comment

Marks made a mistake giving KD and Kyrie whatever they wanted, but by no means is he a bad GM. They had a nice thing going before they got KD and Kyrie with D'Angelo, Allen and Levert.

If I'm Joe Tsai, I ask Marks to trade KD and Kyrie before firing him. They both have a track record of becoming unhappy on multiple teams. This isn't something new. Kyrie left the Cavs because he didn't want to be under Lebron's shadow, went to Boston, didn't work out and now he is in Brooklyn. KD won championships with the Warriors, was unhappy and made his way to Brooklyn with Kyrie.

If Joe Tsai goes the route of firing Marks and Nash, there is no guarantee Kyrie doesn't walk in FA next season and KD becomes unhappy again.
              If Nets want to win a title keeping KD is the way to do it.

If they're fine being a mediocre team that's in the play in each year, by all means trade KD for scraps and build around Marks.

Comment

Marks blew what though specifically? Was it bringing Kyrie into the fold? If he didn't then he wouldn't have had KD. They were joined at the hip.

Kyrie is the reason everything went to shit. They traded for Harden which was a championship caliber move at the time. If KD's foot wasn't on the line against the Bucks, maybe they get a championship out of it. Last season Kyrie refused to get vaccinated even though it meant missing games. And Harden got sick and tired of that drama and wanted out. The tough part was that Harden was basically a rental (he had a player option) so the return wasn't going to be that great. Marks still got a pretty good package out of it. Simmons refused to play, but he is a former all-nba player on a long term deal. They also got Seth Curry out of it. That wasn't a bad return for a rental.. and they did it pretty quickly without letting that drama play out all season long.

I hope if he does get fired, that the Raptors bring in him as an assistant. The guys got chops. The fact he found guys like Allen, Dinwiddie, LeVert, Harris is pretty good for a team that gave up all their draft capital to the Celtics. He didn't have much to work with.. but still ensured he had cap space to even be able to land a couple of super stars in free agency. It's not that easy to create that much cap space, and still entice super stars to want to go there and play.. especially when the big brother team in the same city also had cap space at the same time.

Comment

If Nets want to win a title keeping KD is the way to do it.

If they're fine being a mediocre team that's in the play in each year, by all means trade KD for scraps and build around Marks.
                  KD and Kyrie give them the best chance, but I don't think its happening. Like I said, those 2 got whatever they wanted so far in Brooklyn. Marks traded away Jarrett Allen because KD and Kyrie wanted Deandre Jordan, Marks hired Nash because KD and Kyrie wanted him, he traded for Harden, which was a great move at the time, and so on. The current KD demand is just the next part of asking for whatever he wants, except its Joe Tsai making the decision now.

If Nets hire a new GM and a new coach, its pretty likely KD and Kyrie will continue to make requests that benefit them.

Comment

• what a surgical strike. not sure if it was out there as public as this but now that he's "officially" thrown Marks and Nash under the bus, how does he show up for training camp? before there was still this air of maybe they'll just hug it out

Comment

KD and Kyrie give them the best chance, but I don't think its happening. Like I said, those 2 got whatever they wanted so far in Brooklyn. Marks traded away Jarrett Allen because KD and Kyrie wanted Deandre Jordan, Marks hired Nash because KD and Kyrie wanted him, he traded for Harden, which was a great move at the time, and so on. The current KD demand is just the next part of asking for whatever he wants, except its Joe Tsai making the decision now.

If Nets hire a new GM and a new coach, its pretty likely KD and Kyrie will continue to make requests that benefit them.
                      Yeah, that was clearly the job description the second they signed KD. Otherwise KD doesn't go there. He wanted to be in charge. Marks forgot that and now here we are.

Marks would be a fine GM on a non super team but the GM of a super team needs to be massaging those egos, checking in and making sure everyone is happy.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Marks blew what though specifically? Was it bringing Kyrie into the fold? If he didn't then he wouldn't have had KD. They were joined at the hip.

Kyrie is the reason everything went to shit. They traded for Harden which was a championship caliber move at the time. If KD's foot wasn't on the line against the Bucks, maybe they get a championship out of it. Last season Kyrie refused to get vaccinated even though it meant missing games. And Harden got sick and tired of that drama and wanted out. The tough part was that Harden was basically a rental (he had a player option) so the return wasn't going to be that great. Marks still got a pretty good package out of it. Simmons refused to play, but he is a former all-nba player on a long term deal. They also got Seth Curry out of it. That wasn't a bad return for a rental.. and they did it pretty quickly without letting that drama play out all season long.

I hope if he does get fired, that the Raptors bring in him as an assistant. The guys got chops. The fact he found guys like Allen, Dinwiddie, LeVert, Harris is pretty good for a team that gave up all their draft capital to the Celtics. He didn't have much to work with.. but still ensured he had cap space to even be able to land a couple of super stars in free agency. It's not that easy to create that much cap space, and still entice super stars to want to go there and play.. especially when the big brother team in the same city also had cap space at the same time.
                        I think Marks blew it by not publicly supporting Kyrie all season. He should have been railing against the vaccine mandates and saying Kyrie should be allowed to play. The NY mandate got lifted near the end of the season but Marks had already lost the room.

Kyrie is an idiot but he knew that before he signed him. His job after signing him is to publicly support him at every turn. If you throw these players under the bus you never get them back. Same shit happened in Philly with Simmons.

Comment

I think Marks blew it by not publicly supporting Kyrie all season. He should have been railing against the vaccine mandates and saying Kyrie should be allowed to play. The NY mandate got lifted near the end of the season but Marks had already lost the room.

Kyrie is an idiot but he knew that before he signed him. His job after signing him is to publicly support him at every turn. If you throw these players under the bus you never get them back. Same shit happened in Philly with Simmons.
                          They supported Kyrie publicly. They never threw him under the bus. They even had a special practice court made so that Kyrie could go to it. Plus Marks had Joe Tsai's backing. So any team announcement would come through Joe's office at the end.

The apparent reason why KD wants out is because the Nets didn't give Kyrie a full extension. But keeping Kyrie around is what lead to Harden's exit and a flame out of a season. It's a crappy situation for Marks but it all starts with Kyrie.

Marks is not as important as KD, but if Kyrie is a part of the KD package deal, then the Nets would be better off just rebuilding again. They could still make the playoffs and become a pseudo contender with the right KD trade.

If Tsai prefers keeping KD, then again I hope the Raptors make a play to bring in Marks as an assistant.

Comment

A bit reminiscent of the Vince Carter era where Vince Carter was already on the outs with the team & wanted the Raptors to hire Julius Erving as Gm for the vacant spot. Unfortunately the Raptors hired Rob Babcock & he committed one of the worst trades in NBA history ( sending Vince for the 2 Williams sisters end of the bench players, Alonzo Mourning who refused to report & was released plus 2 very low first round picks back to back for a player who miraculously rediscovered his All-Star touch on his new team The Nets).

Oh how the turn tables!

Comment

• I doubt KD even wants Marks and Nash fired. It's likely just a request that will be seen as impossible to deliver on. It's just another "trade me." Except this time creating enough public strife that it would be pretty much impossible to go into training camp like this.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Here. We. Go.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X