X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big boi
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post
    You doubt we get out of the East with a lineup of FVV, OG, Durant, Pascal, Precious? I mean, it is obviously possible we wouldn't get out of the East but I'd be betting on them to do so. Warriors? Not that scary. Clippers I'll worry about when they prove they can get past the 2nd round or even field a healthy team.
    I'm all for not trading Scottie, I hope he stays here forever and retires a Raptor, great kid, great young player. I fully understand why management would not want to trade him under almost any circumstance, And particularly when looking at the market for Durant, it doesn't seem like we need to offer Barnes to make the best offer, ...at this stage anyway.

But let's not get it twisted... the above starting lineup would be devastatingly good. If they could stay healthy, I'd put them up against anyone, I certainly wouldn't bet against them. Very rarely does a trade give you pretty much a guaranteed championship, it didn't when we got Kawhi, but it gave us a very good shot and then the stars had to align and we had to stay (largely) healthy.

The amount of space a guy like Durant would create for Pascal... which in turn would create space for him to kick to others when the defense rotated...

That's the reason why I thought Masai might make that trade because it would give us an incredible championship contending window over the next few years. But I also understand and respect that he's saying no to parting with Scottie and staying patient.

Leave a comment:

• Mapko
    replied

Heck they gave up two firsts and two swaps when they traded for him. That's a deal for a star, even if not a top tier star.
    Unfortunately that seems to be going rate. Then again, it worked -they won title. I'd say worth it.
    Can you imagine what O'Neil trade from LA to Miami would look like now? For sure not Odom & Butler.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
    Who would u rather have..

Shai or Durant?

I take Shai, plus the price would be cheaper, not only that, his 10 years younger, not in his prime.
    For this upcoming season , I would still take Durant. Best chance to win it all.

But for longevity you go with Shai & I don't think the price will be much cheaper.

Leave a comment:

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    Who would u rather have..

Shai or Durant?

I take Shai, plus the price would be cheaper, not only that, his 10 years younger, not in his prime.

Leave a comment:

• Mapko
    replied

Kinda seems like you are going to preach to me about the salary cap!

Yeah, you'd need an extra minimum salary or Flynn in there. Not a problem, the math is pretty easy to make work.

Doesn't matter what "according to some" the Nets expect, if the Raptors ever went as far as a Barnes offer (they almost certainly won't) it would be the above, Barnes, Trent, filler, maybe a couple picks.

You doubt we get out of the East with a lineup of FVV, OG, Durant, Pascal, Precious? I mean, it is obviously possible we wouldn't get out of the East but I'd be betting on them to do so. Warriors? Not that scary. Clippers I'll worry about when they prove they can get past the 2nd round or even field a healthy team.
    My apologies Dan (re salary cap). That was NOT attempt. Considering we are near cap (& Nets way over), I thought we'd have to send out "closer" to $44 mil. Stand corrected.
    Can your above team take East? We'd need to beat at least 2 of Bos, Mil, 76ers, Miami. Doable? Certainly? Favs? still not convinced.
    We were pretty thin in "depth department" last year. In above scenario: KD, OPJ in, Barnes, Trent out. Still thin. Can we afford for starters to play heavy minutes again? Not a good formula for deep playoff success (in playoffs yes, but nor regular season).
    GS (aka champs) -any reason why not as strong next year? Thompson, closer to 100%; Young guns (Kuminga, Weisman, Moody) 1 year of experience & potential to get another star (Mitchell?). IMO, still favs to win it all.
    Im (sort of) with you on Clippers. On paper (yet again) No 1. Health? Who knows? Very deep. Can afford to manage time.
    Lets hope, all this is moot point. Id hate to give up Barnes (even in above scenario with Trent & maybe 2 FRPs AT MOST) and I doubt Nets would consider it.
    In the end, frankly not a fan of getting 34 yo KD, esp with his injuries last few years. With him making $50 mil at age 36 & 37. Ouch. Why not keep that money & spread for FVV, Trent, OG, Siakam & Barnes extensions over that time?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X