X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

But Brooks wasn't competing with Dowtin. Dowtin was fighting for a two way. Brooks was ineligible for a two way and was fighting for a NBA contract (the one he already signed).

They aren't really the same type of players. Dowtin is an on-ball creator, Brooks is a spot up shooter (when utilized properly, which the Raptors would do). Brooks is there to provide shooting. Using 4 summer league games to evaluate their effectiveness as shooters relative to each other would be a really bad idea.
    Brooks played backup PG for us last season. Same position Dowtin will play for us.

Brooks also stunk it up for the Raptors last season.
    0.278 3pt, 0.289 FG
    So bad with team at nba level and bad with team at summer league level. Not a good spot up shooter.

Dowtin is a 25 year old vet, he was signed to play minutes with the big team. Using the 2 way on him was just good use of roster space since he was eligible for a 2 way.

I'll concede Brooks is still fighting for the final roster spot, but I put his chances very low of getting it, largely due to the Dowtin signing, and largely due to him performing poorly every chance he's had. Svi was a lot better than Brooks and I don't see us cutting a fully guaranteed Svi to make room for Brooks.

Pretty sure the last spot is going to Juancho, who was proven to be a good shooter at the NBA level.
    Last edited by Primer; Thu Jul 28, 2022, 01:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

The competition at summer league was between Dowtin and Brooks and Dowtin won hands down not even close.

Brooks one job with the Raptors will be to come in and hit 3s, he sucked at that and Dowtin didn't. Brooks shot 27.5% from 3 in summer league on 10 attempts per game. Dowtin shot 36.5% from 3 and was basically our best player basically every game.

Not to mention Dowtin outplayed him in every other facet of basketball as well.

Dowtin 4.3 ast, 0.5 TO
    Brooks 2 ast, 2 TO
    Dowtin 3.8 reb
    Brooks 3.3 reb

To me Brooks isn't a prospect he was a vet brought in to steady the bench while Fred isn't playing. Dowtin is the same thing, and he just seems straight up better.

Juancho could sub in for nearly anyone in the roster, I don't see Brooks or Dowtin getting minutes unless Fred is resting. Juancho just seems like a better fit if we're cutting Svi.
    But Brooks wasn't competing with Dowtin. Dowtin was fighting for a two way. Brooks was ineligible for a two way and was fighting for a NBA contract (the one he already signed).

They aren't really the same type of players. Dowtin is an on-ball creator, Brooks is a spot up shooter (when utilized properly, which the Raptors would do). Brooks is there to provide shooting. Using 4 summer league games to evaluate their effectiveness as shooters relative to each other would be a really bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

Brooks sucked at summer league? He had one particularly bad game that crushed his average stats. Outside of that, he had one dominant offensive game where he almost won it by himself, one game where his outside shot wasn't there but he made up for it with smart inside scoring and overall play (big contributor to that final win that almost got them to the finals), and one quieter game.

I thought he looked pretty good, and the bits where he didn't look good were when he was asked to do a lot more than he'd be asked to do on the Raps. The cold shooting hurts his stats, but we know he's a good shooter, judging that on a teeny tiny sample of shots over 5 games would be silly.

Cutting Svi is not a significant barrier. Question really is as simple as which of the three they want. Doubt the guaranteed salary plays into it at all, they've left themselves enough room to not worry about that.
    The competition at summer league was between Dowtin and Brooks and Dowtin won hands down not even close.

Brooks one job with the Raptors will be to come in and hit 3s, he sucked at that and Dowtin didn't. Brooks shot 27.5% from 3 in summer league on 10 attempts per game. Dowtin shot 36.5% from 3 and was basically our best player basically every game.

Not to mention Dowtin outplayed him in every other facet of basketball as well.

Dowtin 4.3 ast, 0.5 TO
    Brooks 2 ast, 2 TO
    Dowtin 3.8 reb
    Brooks 3.3 reb

To me Brooks isn't a prospect he was a vet brought in to steady the bench while Fred isn't playing. Dowtin is the same thing, and he just seems straight up better.

Juancho could sub in for nearly anyone in the roster, I don't see Brooks or Dowtin getting minutes unless Fred is resting. Juancho just seems like a better fit if we're cutting Svi.

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    Banton and Champagnie seem like locks. That leaves no roster spots without cutting Svi.

I think Brooks is toast. We'd have to cut Svi to sign him and he's not worth it in my opinion. He sucked in summer league and Dowtin didn't and took his spot.

I think Juancho is battling Svi for a roster spot. If he out plays him at camp we cut Svi to make room for Juancho.
    Brooks didn't suck but was widely inconsistent much like DJ Wilson.

Juancho is capable of stealing the last spot for sure but he needs to have a really good training camp in order to pass by Brooks and Wilson who are more of a known commodity within the Raptors organization and will likely be graded differently even if training camp small sample won't be as good as Juancho.

Svi should be gone and cut at this point.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Banton and Champagnie seem like locks. That leaves no roster spots without cutting Svi.

I think Brooks is toast. We'd have to cut Svi to sign him and he's not worth it in my opinion. He sucked in summer league and Dowtin didn't and took his spot.

I think Juancho is battling Svi for a roster spot. If he out plays him at camp we cut Svi to make room for Juancho.
    Brooks sucked at summer league? He had one particularly bad game that crushed his average stats. Outside of that, he had one dominant offensive game where he almost won it by himself, one game where his outside shot wasn't there but he made up for it with smart inside scoring and overall play (big contributor to that final win that almost got them to the finals), and one quieter game.

I thought he looked pretty good, and the bits where he didn't look good were when he was asked to do a lot more than he'd be asked to do on the Raps. The cold shooting hurts his stats, but we know he's a good shooter, judging that on a teeny tiny sample of shots over 5 games would be silly.

Cutting Svi is not a significant barrier. Question really is as simple as which of the three they want. Doubt the guaranteed salary plays into it at all, they've left themselves enough room to not worry about that.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    So the Raptors went and got another 6'8-6'9 dude? Surprise, surprise. After summer league, and my opinion on Hernangomez (who I've only seen briefly), I'd rank spots 14-15 in this order (assume Banton gets 12, Koloko gets 13, and Svi is waivable).

1. Champagnie
    2. Brooks
    3. Hernangomez
    4. Wilson
    5. Svi

Basically I'd go with Champagnie and Brooks. Champagnie got hurt, but he showed a lot of promise last year. And was one of our best players in the G-league. Brooks was a huge chucker in summer league, but he's got a 40% 3pt shot. If he stays in his lane a bit, he's promising. The problem there is we already gave Dowtin a 2-way deal.. and if Malachi shows us something, he'd be ahead of Brooks in the pecking order.. but that's a pretty big if unfortunately. I think the real camp battle will be between Malachi and Brooks to be honest. If Malachi underwhelms at camp then you go with Brooks.

Wilson IMO blew his chance in SL. Svi should have played in SL as well to show us any improvements he had in his game. He did not deliver at all last year.

As for Hernangomez.. he has the size that we like and all. Just would blend too much into this team too much. I don't see when he would play to be honest. Even with injuries. But our front office knows what they're doing.
    Hernangomez has shown flashes of a 3 pointer too. Very inconsistent, but has averaged out to about 35% for his career. If they think they can get him consistent based on what he shows in camp, maybe they give him a spot.

I'd agree it should come down to your top three, and I'm leaning to Champagnie (who seems a sure thing) and Brooks as well.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    So the Raptors went and got another 6'8-6'9 dude? Surprise, surprise. After summer league, and my opinion on Hernangomez (who I've only seen briefly), I'd rank spots 14-15 in this order (assume Banton gets 12, Koloko gets 13, and Svi is waivable).

1. Champagnie
    2. Brooks
    3. Hernangomez
    4. Wilson
    5. Svi

Basically I'd go with Champagnie and Brooks. Champagnie got hurt, but he showed a lot of promise last year. And was one of our best players in the G-league. Brooks was a huge chucker in summer league, but he's got a 40% 3pt shot. If he stays in his lane a bit, he's promising. The problem there is we already gave Dowtin a 2-way deal.. and if Malachi shows us something, he'd be ahead of Brooks in the pecking order.. but that's a pretty big if unfortunately. I think the real camp battle will be between Malachi and Brooks to be honest. If Malachi underwhelms at camp then you go with Brooks.

Wilson IMO blew his chance in SL. Svi should have played in SL as well to show us any improvements he had in his game. He did not deliver at all last year.

As for Hernangomez.. he has the size that we like and all. Just would blend too much into this team too much. I don't see when he would play to be honest. Even with injuries. But our front office knows what they're doing.
    Training camp and preseason games. Internal competition and then a chance to show something against real NBA players. Everything till then is just shuffling and acclimatization.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied

1. Champagnie
    2. Brooks
    3. Hernangomez
    4. Wilson
    5. Svi

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post
    Please let's not fill this thread with movie screen shots
    Just one?

Last edited by Jclaw; Tue Jul 26, 2022, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jclaw
    replied
    Shot 44% from three on between 2-3 attempts per game with Utah after not taking any 3’s with the Spurs. Could have a Precious thing going on here. Of note, he was once in the mid 40’s before on 3’s when he took his highest numbers of 3’s

Leave a comment:

• Hotshot
    replied
    I suspect this is another minimum deal with limited guarantee. The one year term is odd if that's the case though. Seems like a bet on himself sort of deal. I thought he'd have more of a market, maybe this is BAE or some MLE money. Not a huge difference either way, but interesting to watch out for.
    Things have become a lot tougher for DJ Wilson.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    I suspect this is another minimum deal with limited guarantee. The one year term is odd if that's the case though. Seems like a bet on himself sort of deal. I thought he'd have more of a market, maybe this is BAE or some MLE money. Not a huge difference either way, but interesting to watch out for.

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied
    Please let's not fill this thread with movie screen shots

Leave a comment:

• Dr Hannibal Lecter
    replied
    Sure..he can be Barnes Waterboy..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X