Everything Bench Beauties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I wonder if they experiment with sliding Scottie over into the point guard slot for six or seven minutes when Fred sits, and bringing in Porter?
    Well yes, of course.

but first you come with the small ball death lineup:
    Fred
    Gary
    Otto
    Pascal
    Scottie

if Barnes and Pascal’s shooting is where I think it is that could be one of the best-shooting units in basketball.

Then get Boucher on for Fred and let Scottie/Pascal run the show for a bit, precluding any true need for Flynn or Banton.

Comment

• I think that people are under the illusion that Banton don’t/won’t get many minutes because we need playmaking but they aren’t good enough. I reality I’m pretty sure they’re good enough, we just don’t really need guard-playmaking.

Because we get that from our forwards/every position.

Comment

• Could Bo Cruz shoot his way into a rotation spot? How would that look?

Fred
        Gary
        Otto
        Hernangomez
        Koloko (figured some pick & roll could be employed for Fred to get into efficient action without the other stars on the court)

More of a traditional look with Koloko, but surrounded by elite shooting might look pretty nice.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
          Could Bo Cruz shoot his way into a rotation spot? How would that look?

Fred
          Gary
          Otto
          Hernangomez
          Koloko (figured some pick & roll could be employed for Fred to get into efficient action without the other stars on the court)

More of a traditional look with Koloko, but surrounded by elite shooting might look pretty nice.
          Would be pretty shocking - more likely an injury/rest sub for Otto (whether Otto is out or sliding up the roster when OG is out).
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Could Bo Cruz shoot his way into a rotation spot? How would that look?

Fred
            Gary
            Otto
            Hernangomez

Raptors culture dictates you can only defend your way into the rotation.

Hard to picture that particular line-up because it's not weighted on the defensive side. Koloko as a rookie likely won't be able to anchor the defense.

Comment

• There is going to be at least one guy that underwhelms for us.. always seems to be the case with free agents. Goran and Svi last year were duds. Baynes and Len the year before. Stanimal the year before that.

Someone's going to wear that dunce cap this season. I hope it's not Otto. My guess will be Jauncho unfortunately.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                There is going to be at least one guy that underwhelms for us.. always seems to be the case with free agents. Goran and Svi last year were duds. Baynes and Len the year before. Stanimal the year before that.

Someone's going to wear that dunce cap this season. I hope it's not Otto. My guess will be Jauncho unfortunately.
                Meh, there is "underwhelms" and then there's performs to expectations. Goran was a special case, Svi was a minimum signing (supposed to not be good). Len was about the minimum, was supposed to be bad, Stan the same, supposed to be bad. These guys are long shots you hope occasionally pay off. Baynes definitely underwhelmed, and Otto is in the same tier of signing, though his fit should be good enough that even with a step back he can contribute, unlike Baynes.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

There is going to be at least one guy that underwhelms for us.. always seems to be the case with free agents. Goran and Svi last year were duds. Baynes and Len the year before. Stanimal the year before that.

I don't think Juancho will get enough minutes for us to say he's underwhelmed. He's the 15th guy on the roster. If that's who we're down on then it's a good season.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Meh, there is "underwhelms" and then there's performs to expectations. Goran was a special case, Svi was a minimum signing (supposed to not be good). Len was about the minimum, was supposed to be bad, Stan the same, supposed to be bad. These guys are long shots you hope occasionally pay off. Baynes definitely underwhelmed, and Otto is in the same tier of signing, though his fit should be good enough that even with a step back he can contribute, unlike Baynes.
                    When I say underwhelm I basically translate that to "not an NBA player". They become one of the worst players in the league, not just on the team. I know its a minimum signing, but when you're getting minutes you need to show something. I don't remember Svi ever having a good game except for in preseason.

I just hope to see one guy come in and give us average performance. But I could have higher expectations for minimum signings than others. Especially if they're vets now too.

Comment

I don't know, anyone that underwhelms simply won't be in the rotation. Like, we will only get tiny samples of how bad they are. In the past we were somewhat dependent on underwhelming players.

Thad is the guy I think that might underwhelm himself out of the rotation. He's got OG and Pascal squeezing him from the topside and Banton, Champagnie, Guancho, etc, even Flynn and Koloko coming up from behind.

Comment

I don't know, anyone that underwhelms simply won't be in the rotation. Like, we will only get tiny samples of how bad they are. In the past we were somewhat dependent on underwhelming players.

Thad is the guy I think that might underwhelm himself out of the rotation. He's got OG and Pascal squeezing him from the topside and Banton, Champagnie, Guancho, etc, even Flynn and Koloko coming up from behind.
                        Everyone you listed as coming from behind will need to steal minutes from Thad and Boucher. Good to have that strong of competition for back of bench minutes. Big difference vs the start of last season where we weren't sure we could get any useful bench minutes. Of those guys Juancho seems to have the best odds of carving out a rotation spot. He's a vet entering his prime and just crushed it in high level international play. If we had him last year he's one of our top bench guys.

Comment

• I think Thad, Boucher, and either Trent Jr. or Achiuwa get the majority of the minutes off the bench with Otto getting the rest of the guard minutes next to Scottie or Fred. More than enough minutes to go to all four. Probably one of the guards, Malachi or Banton, gets the rest of the available minutes, but there won't be much left for them. Hopefully, Koloko gets a shot early on but I could see him getting close to no minutes on this team, unfortunately.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                            I think Thad, Boucher, and either Trent Jr. or Achiuwa get the majority of the minutes off the bench with Otto getting the rest of the guard minutes next to Scottie or Fred. More than enough minutes to go to all four. Probably one of the guards, Malachi or Banton, gets the rest of the available minutes, but there won't be much left for them. Hopefully, Koloko gets a shot early on but I could see him getting close to no minutes on this team, unfortunately.
                            I'm also kind of curious how JJ fits into all of this. Normally when the Raps sign players with a bit of a name it seems to come with a promise of play time. He barely saw the floor last season so if he makes the final roster I'm thinking he will might see some steady minutes as well.

Great news for Fred and Siakam as they shouldn't have to log those crazy minutes from last season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I'm also kind of curious how JJ fits into all of this. Normally when the Raps sign players with a bit of a name it seems to come with a promise of play time. He barely saw the floor last season so if he makes the final roster I'm thinking he will might see some steady minutes as well.

Great news for Fred and Siakam as they shouldn't have to log those crazy minutes from last season.
                              I doubt it. Fred was 6th, 2nd & 2nd in the league in MPG over the last 3 seasons. Pascal was: 11th, 6th & 1st. Crazy minutes for those 2 guys aren't just a last season thing. It's standard operating procedure that gets us regular season wins.... and will likely continue. It will be a pleasant surprise if they drop out of the top 10 in MPG this season.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I doubt it. Fred was 6th, 2nd & 2nd in the league in MPG over the last 3 seasons. Pascal was: 11th, 6th & 1st. Crazy minutes for those 2 guys aren't just a last season thing. It's standard operating procedure that gets us regular season wins.... and will likely continue. It will be a pleasant surprise if they drop out of the top 10 in MPG this season.
                                I'm none too concerned about the ranking. They can be 1st and 2nd so long as the total number of minutes is fine, everyone else becoming smarter with their minutes doesn't mean there's a problem. Also, them being 30th is also no good if that's 44 MPG.

But it would be very good to pull Fred's minutes down from the 38 a game he was playing early in the season to a more reasonable 34-36 minutes a game. Scottie's success as the bench playmaker provides a real path to that. Pascal is a machine, I'm less concerned about his minutes, although capping him at about 38 would be nice, he creeped up to the 39-41 range late in the season.

What would help is a few blowout wins. Lots of guys play those 40 minute games quite often, but their averages are pulled down by some 32 minute games where they barely play in the 4th Q because the game is over. Raps didn't have many of those. The improved depth should hopefully allow that to happen more often this season.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X