Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Sept 26 - U Vic. - Raptors open training camp. So where do we stack up going into the 2022 season post the Mitchell Trade and the KD "just kiddin" trade demand.

Top Tier

The Bucks - The Alphabet still strikes fear into the hearts of all fans outside Milwaukee. A healthy Middleton and Holiday make these guys a tough out.
    The Chowders - Might have to repair a trust gap with Jaylen Brown and the front office but wow...the effing Chowders are that good top to bottom. Brown, Tatum, Smart, Brogdon and Williams/Horford. Brad is a pretty good GM. Maybe better than as coach.
    The Nets: Cue Bob Marley and the Redemption Song. Its Jackie Moons ELE in Brooklyn this year. Durant and Irving and Simmons will be a pantload if they don't implode first. Kevin is dedicating the season to Kevin.

Lower Penthouse

The Cavs
    - Mitchell puts them in home court this year. Garland is the real thing. Mobley and Allen Yeah baby. A good bench. They like their coach. Maybe 4 is to low. The Easts Memphis Grizzlies.
    The Heat - Heat culture is about to pass its best before date and turn into bad yogurt if Jimmy and Kyle don't have one more deep run in them. Betting the under.
    The Hinkies - Joel Embiid is going into his 8th year. Harden into his 13th. Lotta trust being placed with these guys. On a clear day with no wind to get to the ECF but thats the ceiling. The process is on the down side of the curve.

4 Teams looking for two spots to make the playoffs

The Raps
    - Yup Us !! Can we catch the top tier as is ? No. Can we do a "Jeffersons" and "move it on up" to the lower penthouse ? Yes ! Raps still need a C and some better quality depth in the backcourt. Scottie like Mobley will be better this year and his getting better will move the needle on our prospects.
    The Hawks - Trae Young has a new running mate in DeJounte Murray.to go along with Hunter and Huerter and Capella and Collins and the up and coming Rookie OO ( Onyeka Okongwu) the Hawks are the team to catch in this tier. They easily go deeper than the Raps after the starters.
    The Bulls - As Zach Lavine was hobbled down the stretch so too went the Bulls. But LeVine is back with a new max deal and is presumably set to play well along with Vuc and DD. Lonzo Ball will be back and will show why he was the number 2 overall in his draft class. Its us and the Bulls I think to get into the dance this year.
    The Hornets - A team on the rise just lost a ton of altitude with the arrest of Miles Bridges for assault. LaMello Ball a star in the NBA pairs with the oft injured Gordon Hayward but not much else. The Hornets didnt pull their QO on Bridges. If he clears his legal situation he would give this team a boost it badly needs..

Maybe, Could Be, Its gotta break just right and assorted Dumpster fires

The Knicks
    - God bless em. They once traded for (edit) Derrick Rose and gave the bag to Brunson but somehow shied away from Mitchell who liked the idea of going back to New York. So they gave the bag to RJ Barrett and now they have to keep him. They did clean up the roster and got some picks. The Knicks will again be poor.
    The Pistons - They will be better. Cade Cunningham is going to be great. Sadiq Bey has got character and can make room for himself in the paint. Jaden Ivy will fit in seamlessly alongside Cunningham in the back court. They are interchangeable parts. Both can bring it up or play off ball. A rebirth for Marvin Bagley under the eyes of Dwane Coach Casey. Casey will have us cursing him again this year. Detroit may challenge for a play in spot.
    The Magic - They too will be better. A full year of Suggs. A number 1 pick with huge upside in Banchero. Maybe this year for Markel Fultz ? Wendel Carter and Mo Bamba are RR faves... but they are a year away from being a year away. Fun to watch but as all rookie laden teams do.. they will lose it late.
    The Whiz and the Pacers - They are both works in progress. The same version of the teams they tore down but with different names. Do they give it a go or just go through the motions before tanking. Who the hell knows. Either way these teams are in the dreaded treadmill zone.

So camp opens in a month.

We are a deeper team than last year with the additions of Otto and Thad on the wing. Still look thin at the 5 and, until proven on the floor by Malachi Flynn, we could use more depth in the back court. Hopefully one of or both of Flynn or Banton blow the doors off during camp and preseason and make the need for more depth in the backcourt a non issue.

The East is better than last year.. I see us anywhere between 5 and 8 this year in a very competitive conference.
    Let the preseason speculation begin.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Sep 3, 2022, 07:08 AM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Vehemently disagree with:

- the Nets being in the top tier
    - the Cavs or Heat being a clear tier above the Raptors

Don't think the Raps need a C. Just start the one you got. If the Raps keep messing around with heavy use of the small look I can see them settling into that lower tier in terms of win total.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I see the Raptors as a top 4 team.

We're quite a bit better than last year.

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

The Knicks - God bless em. They traded for Jalen Rose and gave the bag to Brunson
        I think u meant Derrick cause otherwise the Knicks front office got to be real bad if they traded for a guy retired 15 years ago.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Don't think the Raps need a C. Just start the one you got. If the Raps keep messing around with heavy use of the small look I can see them settling into that lower tier in terms of win total.
          also bump the hornets down

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

I think u meant Derrick cause otherwise the Knicks front office got to be real bad if they traded for a guy retired 15 years ago.
            LOl..Yes.. My bad.
            Correctred.in the OP.
            Its hard to shame the Knicks Front Office...
            - TGO

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
              I see the Raptors as a top 4 team.

We're quite a bit better than last year.
              Bold call.
              I see them being better than 1 or 2 of the Lower Penthouse teams.. but not all 3.
              - TGO

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

also bump the hornets down
                Probably.. but its hard to go against LaMello Ball and punt these guys to deep "also ran status"...
                - TGO

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Durant, Irving, Simmons, and all the 3 point shooting you can eat with Harris and Curry....Unless they implode again (its in the range of outcomes but lower probability) the Nets have more aggregate talent than the raps...and more talent wins out.

The Cavs got a lot better with Mitchell. Outside of this fan base and around the league Cleveland is viewed as a contender. Watching Mobley vs Barnes is going to be a treat.... the Cavs are better at PG and SG with Garland and Mitchell than we are currently.

I waffled on the Heat.. Butler and Kyle are 33 and 34 I think ... yet Eric Spolestra like Nick Nurse seems to be able to make something out of nothing. Keeping them ahead of the Raps in the pre season power rankings for now.

The two year debate on whether the Raps "need a centre" continues on...
                  Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Sep 3, 2022, 07:30 AM.
                  - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Durant, Irving, Simmons, and all the 3 point shooting you can eat with Harris and Curry....Unless they implode again (its in the range of outcomes but lower probability) the Nets have more aggregate talent than the raps...and more talent wins out.

The Cavs got a lot better with Mitchell. Outside of this fan base and around the league Cleveland is viewed as a contender. Watching Mobley vs Barnes is going to be a treat.... the Cavs are better at PG and SG with Garland and Mitchell than we are currently.

I waffled on the Heat.. Butler and Kyle are 33 and 34 I think ... yet Eric Spolestra like Nick Nurse seems to be able to make something out of nothing. Keeping them ahead of the Raps in the pre season power rankings for now.

The two year debate on whether the Raps "need a centre" continues on...
                    If we had Mo Bamba would we be any higher in your rankings?

Probably not.

The whole center thing is dumb to me, unless we're getting Embiid or Jokic then we're fine with Precious at C.

Comment

I'm not giving the nets the benefit of the doubt. Their top guys are unstable. They have good role players but KD, Irving and Simmons will have a hard time holding it together after a tumultuous off-season. The Nets aren't committed to those guys, and they aren't committed to the nets. No way I put them ahead of the 6ers.

Bucks, Celts, 6ers
                      Raps, Nets, Cavs, Heat
                      Hawks, Bulls, Hornets
                      The trash.

I could see the Hawks doing better, and moving up a tier.

Comment

There are 3 teams that are CLEARLY better than the Raps: Bucks, Celtics, 76ers. The Nets are kinda hard to evaluate, I don't think they're better but because of their talent I'd put them 4.

Bucks
                        Celtics
                        76ers
                        Nets
                        Raptors
                        Cavs
                        Heat
                        Hawks
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

lmao...raptors +1600 to win the atlantic....galinari out for the year....kd and kyrie at 60 games wth no bench, 76ers with an old used-up harden....embiid always an injury away from teh 7ers being a middling eastern confernce team......yeah....three units +1600

Comment

good luck this year guys....ive been on the cavaliers ecf 40/1, nba finals 100/1, mobley MIP 50/1 and jb coy 35/1...over 25 units total....i could post bet slips for you guys....but i think most everyone here believes me anyway...really enjoyed my time blogging with you guys here last year

Comment

These are my predictions for the East:

1. Raptors
                              2. Bucks
                              3. Nets
                              4. Celtics
                              5. 76ers
                              6. Heat
                              7. Hawks
                              8. Cavaliers
                              9. Knicks
                              10. Bulls
                              11. Pistons
                              12. Wizards
                              13. Magic
                              14. Hornets
                              15. Pacers

I think it'll be close between teams 1-6.. about 2-3 wins separating 1 from 6 with a lot of tie breakers. I believe in this years Raptors more than previous years. Still not feeling the Cavs vibes. I think they make the playoffs though, but only as the 8th seed.

Knicks beat the Bulls in their play-in game.

Comment

Working...
                              X