Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demographic Shift wrote:

I waffled on the Heat.. Butler and Kyle are 33 and 34 I think ... .
    Kyle is 36 years old.

i wouldn't play Kyle more than 32 minutes a game.

Comment

My issue is the Nets - no idea what to do with them. If they keep it together, all else bring equal, they will be a force. But I have my doubts.

Raps will likely be better than advertised (as usual) but I think 5-6 is a good bet. The centre stuff is vastly overblown and Toronto is deeper than last season. My only big concern is the continuing lack of firepower but hopefully Barnes will make a big difference in that regard.

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Durant, Irving, Simmons, and all the 3 point shooting you can eat with Harris and Curry....Unless they implode again (its in the range of outcomes but lower probability) the Nets have more aggregate talent than the raps...and more talent wins out.

The Cavs got a lot better with Mitchell. Outside of this fan base and around the league Cleveland is viewed as a contender. Watching Mobley vs Barnes is going to be a treat.... the Cavs are better at PG and SG with Garland and Mitchell than we are currently.

I waffled on the Heat.. Butler and Kyle are 33 and 34 I think ... yet Eric Spolestra like Nick Nurse seems to be able to make something out of nothing. Keeping them ahead of the Raps in the pre season power rankings for now.

The two year debate on whether the Raps "need a centre" continues on...
        I heard that the Raptors have the highest continuity ranking in the NBA this season. Continuity counts for something. 48 wins last season with the same top 9 guys returning is pretty cool, particularly when your main addition is a fits-anywhere multitool kind of player.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
          I'm not giving the nets the benefit of the doubt. Their top guys are unstable. They have good role players but KD, Irving and Simmons will have a hard time holding it together after a tumultuous off-season. The Nets aren't committed to those guys, and they aren't committed to the nets. No way I put them ahead of the 6ers.

Bucks, Celts, 6ers
          Raps, Nets, Cavs, Heat
          Hawks, Bulls, Hornets
          The trash.

I could see the Hawks doing better, and moving up a tier.
          I can get onboard with this. I have them at 53-56 wins. We'll see.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

Kyle is 36 years old.

Without a defibrillator near the bench.
            No.
            I didn't realize Kyle was 36.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

If we had Mo Bamba would we be any higher in your rankings?

Probably not.

The whole center thing is dumb to me, unless we're getting Embiid or Jokic then we're fine with Precious at C.
              Correct ...If we had Mo Bamba no change to the rankings.
              If we had Miles Plumlee no change.
              If we had Rudy Gobert a change
              If we had Clint Capella a change
              And yes.. if we had Myles Leonard a change.

We have been hashing this over for a while...my view on the centre spot is heavily weighted towards the defensive end of the floor. We bleed defensive rebounds and second chance points. Two years running. Botttom of the league. No changes have been made to address that rather sizeable gap.
              As a big a revelation as Achiwua has become on the offensive end he is not physically built to be a 5 on the defensive side of the ball and deliver what we need, not want , but what is needed on the defensive end to end more possessions with defensive boards than we do and lower those soul crushing second chance points.
              - TGO

Comment

We have been hashing this over for a while...my view on the centre spot is heavily weighted towards the defensive end of the floor. We bleed defensive rebounds and second chance points. Two years running. Botttom of the league. No changes have been made to address that rather sizeable gap.
                As a big a revelation as Achiwua has become on the offensive end he is not physically built to be a 5 on the defensive side of the ball and deliver what we need, not want , but what is needed on the defensive end to end more possessions with defensive boards than we do and lower those soul crushing second chance points.
                Raptors were 23rd in second chance points allowed. Not great, but not the worst like your making it out to be. On the positive they were 2nd in the league in getting second chance points.. so they were crushing the offensive boards.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Raptors were 23rd in second chance points allowed. Not great, but not the worst like your making it out to be. On the positive they were 2nd in the league in getting second chance points.. so they were crushing the offensive boards.
                  For sure we hit the offensive glass hard... A lot of guys with quicks and long arms bat balls back out and we get our offensive boards but not enough to offset that we are as you said 23rd outta 30 on the defensive side. It is a blinking red gap and is worth improving. ... we are in the bottom quartile.
                  - TGO

Comment

For sure we hit the offensive glass hard... A lot of guys with quicks and long arms bat balls back out and we get our offensive boards but not enough to offset that we are as you said 23rd outta 30 on the defensive side. It is a blinking red gap and is worth improving. ... we are in the bottom quartile.
                    We also had a top 10 defensive team (And top 5 after the all-star break - #6 since Jan 1), and drafted Koloko who is 7'1. The defense is still good despite not ending possessions as cleanly with a defensive rebound.

What I'm more concerned with is guard depth. I don't have a lot of faith in either Flynn or Banton. We do a lot of position-less stuff on the team, but a guard is a guard, and after Fred and Gary we're pretty limited. I did like Dowtin in summer league, but that was summer league.

Comment

Precious is just as good if not better than Clint Capela. You lost me there big time. I agree he is no Rudy Gobert but that's a far cry from Capela.

Doubt you actually meant myles Leonard. Sure you meant myles Turner. Precious is better than him. Defends Embiid way better and shoots the 3 at a much higher clip.
                      Last edited by Primer; Sun Sep 4, 2022, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Without a defibrillator near the bench.
                        No.
                        I didn't realize Kyle was 36.
                        Time flies.

Miami's window is closing fast.

Comment

Precious is just as good if not better than Clint Capela. You lost me there big time. I agree he is no Rudy Gobert but that's a far cry from Capela.

Doubt you actually meant myles Leonard. Sure you meant myles Turner. Precious is better than him. Defends Embiid way better and shoots the 3 at a much higher clip.
                          How in the world is Achiuwa as good if not better than Capela?
                          Because Precious has a 3 ball?

I like Precious and is excited of his future,
                          but let's not over value him

Comment

Uhh. Precious has a long ways to go on offence. He's elite defensively already, and the concerns about his ability to defend in the paint are unfounded. But his offence is still damaging enough that it's hard to say he's better than these other established C's overall. Now, he made great strides last season but unless that improvement continues, he's still a little ways off from being a better than average starting C. That said, I do think he's a perfectly viable starting C as is, especially considering what the Raps want from that spot.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DRTG includes the effect of giving up offensive boards. The Raptors were a top 5 defensive team in the second half of last season, including the effect of giving up additional rebounds.

Achiuwa being described as an offensive revelation and an incapable defender at the 5 makes my head explode. Nothing could be farther from the truth.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post

Kyle is 36 years old.

he will be 37 before the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X