Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was great seeing Koloko on the floor with Boucher AND Pascal AND Scottie at RH. If Koloko is good enough to earn that last spot in the rotation (i.e. 10th man) over Flynn et al. we're going to have just insane length and athleticism on the court for 48 minutes.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      I see no reason to think we won't be in the mix for a top 3 finish. And I would be disappointed if we don't make it past the first round.
      Celtics and Bucks should both be very good and the Sixers will be better than last season. Nets, maybe. And I do think people around here are a bit too dismissive of the Hawks/Cavs group, let alone the Heat. Top 3 would be an outstanding accomplishment but just getting into the top 6 would be very good.

Way too early to talk playoffs. A lot will depend on health, matchups, etc. This is not a title contender so those kinds of expectations are premature.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        its one thing to suggest he will get the ROY its another to be ok with the fact that we got someone who can contribute even minimally this year.
        Agreed, I wouldn't be surprised if he contributed at some point this year - which would be a tremendous success.

Comment

I see no reason to think we won't be in the mix for a top 3 finish. And I would be disappointed if we don't make it past the first round.
          Top 4 is a worthy goal. Would be great to have home court advantage in the first round.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Celtics and Bucks should both be very good and the Sixers will be better than last season. Nets, maybe. And I do think people around here are a bit too dismissive of the Hawks/Cavs group, let alone the Heat. Top 3 would be an outstanding accomplishment but just getting into the top 6 would be very good.

Way too early to talk playoffs. A lot will depend on health, matchups, etc. This is not a title contender so those kinds of expectations are premature.
            Sixers might be significantly improved. Raptors are almost certainly significantly improved. It's just "hard" to gauge internal development vs the more concrete addition of a veterans like Tucker/Harrell. Harden is no spring chicken and Embiid has durability issues. I'd be surprised if they were head+shoulders better than us.

Would people have pegged the Celtics as a title contender last year? I don't really many would have. And yet there they were.

There are more than just one or two title contenders in this modern era. There might be 6 or even 8 teams in the mix for a title this year. We certainly aren't 100% in that group, but we aren't 100% not in that group either.

Comment

Lots of blue sky there mr. skywalker...

Pretty much no one see the Raps not making the playoffs....and there is a pretty wide range of outcomes from 1 to 8 scattered in the posts...

10 games over 500 is 46 wins.

15 games over is 49......

20 games over is 52 wins

Over/Under is 49 1/2 wins....

I will take the under ...

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

Possible.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  The Raptors need to watch some Warriors tape. They had the 2nd most defensive rebounds in the league (per game) after the Bucks. Yet their center is Looney who is as tall as Precious is.

Draymond lead his team with 6.3 drpg. Pascal lead our team with 6.6.

The problem is they had more guys that were able to grab boards than our guys. I mean Steph was 3rd in drpg with 4.7 after Draymond and Looney. Maybe its scheme. Maybe its just desire.

I don't think its personnel. We don't need a Sabonis or Vucevic or Valanciunas.

I tend to agree (see bold). Few years ago a reporter asked Kyle L (who was averaging over 6 RBG) how come he was such a good rebounder for a short guy; Answer: I just want the ball more than the other guy.
                  Basically, after a shot, dont just stand there. Box out & get the ball. Over the last 40 years, some of the best rebounders (just to name 2) were Rodman & Barkley (both 6'6 and under). Clearly our size is not a major factor.

Comment

• Mapko wrote: View Post
                    I tend to agree (see bold). Few years ago a reporter asked Kyle L (who was averaging over 6 RBG) how come he was such a good rebounder for a short guy; Answer: I just want the ball more than the other guy.
                    Basically, after a shot, dont just stand there. Box out & get the ball. Over the last 40 years, some of the best rebounders (just to name 2) were Rodman & Barkley (both 6'6 and under). Clearly our size is not a major factor.
                    90% dog. 10% technique.

Reggie Evans: "I jus' go git it."

Comment

• Raps are having an open scrimmage in Victoria September 30 at the WHL arena in town if anyone is in the area. They are selling tickets tomorrow at 10 pst hoping I can grab some courtside tix as they are only 40 bucks. I'll give you guys an advanced scouting report
                      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Its not height its a big thats a blocking threat. And face to face block threat not weak side blocking. A paint shot alterer. Even Biyombo made bron think twice about driving. Thats all you need just to make them think twice. Koloko seems to fit the bill. Excited to watch him

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post
                          Raps are having an open scrimmage in Victoria September 30 at the WHL arena in town if anyone is in the area. They are selling tickets tomorrow at 10 pst hoping I can grab some courtside tix as they are only 40 bucks. I'll give you guys an advanced scouting report
                          Looking forward to it. Wonder how much the younger and newer guys will play. I'm excited to see the impact Otto has. And, to be honest, who the end of the rotation is going to be. I'm feeling really good about the top nine/ten spots.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

Looking forward to it. Wonder how much the younger and newer guys will play. I'm excited to see the impact Otto has. And, to be honest, who the end of the rotation is going to be. I'm feeling really good about the top nine/ten spots.
                            So... who makes the biggest splash this year in terms of improvement or a where did that come from kind of year from where they were at the end of the last season ?

Does OG become a player the league talks about as much as we do on this forum ?
                            Raps have been patient with Flynn (for baseball fans almost as patient as the Jays were with Al Leiter) does Malachi become a 20 min a night rotation player ?
                            Does Banton,who has the revered length so coveted by the Raps, supplant Flynn for regular season rotation minutes ?
                            Of the core 6... Fred, GaryT, Pascal, Scottie, Precious (OG is covered above) make a move to league relevance and make an all NBA team ?
                            Does Koloko play more games with the 905 than the big team ?
                            Freddy was an all star last year.. can he repeat ?
                            Do Thad and Otto finish the season as Raptors ?

So who makes the biggest splash this year ?

My vote goes for Barnes... who makes an all NBA team

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                            - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

So... who makes the biggest splash this year in terms of improvement or a where did that come from kind of year from where they were at the end of the last season ?

Raps have been patient with Flynn (for baseball fans almost as patient as the Jays were with Al Leiter) does Malachi become a 20 min a night rotation player ?
                              Does Banton,who has the revered length so coveted by the Raps, supplant Flynn for regular season rotation minutes ?
                              Of the core 6... Fred, GaryT, Pascal, Scottie, Precious (OG is covered above) make a move to league relevance and make an all NBA team ?

My vote goes to Precious. He should be a starter all season and he finished last season really strong.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Pascal has already made the all-nba team. Twice in fact, including as recent as last year.

Comment

Working...
                                X