Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know when the Raps start their training camp?
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      Does anyone know when the Raps start their training camp?
      sept 26

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Pascal has already made the all-nba team. Twice in fact, including as recent as last year.
        True... but none of the others (Fred, GaryT, Pascal, Scottie, Precious OG ) save for Pascal in the core 6 from the 6 have...
        If one of those guys were to track to an all NBA spot... it would be a sea change for the Raps...
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

True... but none of the others (Fred, GaryT, Pascal, Scottie, Precious OG ) save for Pascal in the core 6 from the 6 have...
          If one of those guys were to track to an all NBA spot... it would be a sea change for the Raps...
          Usually only one player from one team makes it, but not always. Miami had the best record in the East last year and nobody made it to that team. The Raptors play a very egalitarian type of system where everyone (or at least the top 5 guys) get an equal amount of usage. So they could be in the same boat as Miami. Too many great players all cancelling themselves out when it comes to voting.

So assuming the Raptors end up with a top 4-5 team in the East and then you're asking for one guy from the team that is noticeably the "best" player. I think that would still be Pascal. Fred might have a chance if he stays consistent and Pascal has a let down year. I don't quite see Scottie have better counting stats (like points/rebounds/assists), but it would be amazing if he did - and the kid is pretty good so I'm not counting anything out just yet there.

I don't think OG, Precious or Gary make it.. if those guys have great seasons I could see them being nominated for the MIP. Or 6MOY for the one that comes off the bench. But I don't quite see the media giving these guys a seat at the all-nba table just yet.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Usually only one player from one team makes it, but not always. Miami had the best record in the East last year and nobody made it to that team. The Raptors play a very egalitarian type of system where everyone (or at least the top 5 guys) get an equal amount of usage. So they could be in the same boat as Miami. Too many great players all cancelling themselves out when it comes to voting.

So assuming the Raptors end up with a top 4-5 team in the East and then you're asking for one guy from the team that is noticeably the "best" player. I think that would still be Pascal. Fred might have a chance if he stays consistent and Pascal has a let down year. I don't quite see Scottie have better counting stats (like points/rebounds/assists), but it would be amazing if he did - and the kid is pretty good so I'm not counting anything out just yet there.

I don't think OG, Precious or Gary make it.. if those guys have great seasons I could see them being nominated for the MIP. Or 6MOY for the one that comes off the bench. But I don't quite see the media giving these guys a seat at the all-nba table just yet.
            Barnes is the guy with the ceiling to make the all nba tier this year.
            Barnes , Mobley and Cunningham are just so good.
            This team will make a move if Barnes takes another step to that high ceiling.
            They are betting on it happening as early as this year.
            Its the same team as last year with added veteran nba role players in Otto and Thad.
            Still open position as the depth PG and still need help at the 5.
            There is no plan B.
            Scottie is the bet.
            Luca of the North.
            I think the kid takes the big step.

Agree that Trent/OG/Precious unlikely to get to the next level.

- TGO

Comment

So... who makes the biggest splash this year in terms of improvement or a where did that come from kind of year from where they were at the end of the last season ?

Does OG become a player the league talks about as much as we do on this forum ?
              Raps have been patient with Flynn (for baseball fans almost as patient as the Jays were with Al Leiter) does Malachi become a 20 min a night rotation player ?
              Does Banton,who has the revered length so coveted by the Raps, supplant Flynn for regular season rotation minutes ?
              Of the core 6... Fred, GaryT, Pascal, Scottie, Precious (OG is covered above) make a move to league relevance and make an all NBA team ?
              Does Koloko play more games with the 905 than the big team ?
              Freddy was an all star last year.. can he repeat ?
              Do Thad and Otto finish the season as Raptors ?

So who makes the biggest splash this year ?

My vote goes for Barnes... who makes an all NBA team

Fred has much lower possibility to be an all-star again this year. The East gained 2 west all-stars in Dejounte Murray and Donovan Mitchell and 2 perennial all-stars, in Kyrie and Ben Simmons. That’s pretty stiff competition at the guard spot this year, in addition to Trae Young, Garland and Lamelo Ball. Then there’s also Cade, Maxey and Harden.

Comment

• This year you will see the raps overall skill come together. You will see 4 or 5 players playing at a very high level, and it will be very hard to stop. Yes, no "superstar" yet, but when fvv, Barnes, og, or Siakam can go off for 20-30 at any time, that's going to be hard to counter. If precious and gtj contribute at a 15-20 level it's going to be even harder. We just need some improvement from the bench, and some actual luck keeping the team largely healthy for the year. Also a good backup point guard is needed unless we see more growth from banton or Flynn. Otto porter will help, and having anyone 7 foot 1 on.the bench will also help in certain matchups.

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
                  This year you will see the raps overall skill come together. You will see 4 or 5 players playing at a very high level, and it will be very hard to stop. Yes, no "superstar" yet, but when fvv, Barnes, og, or Siakam can go off for 20-30 at any time, that's going to be hard to counter. If precious and gtj contribute at a 15-20 level it's going to be even harder. We just need some improvement from the bench, and some actual luck keeping the team largely healthy for the year. Also a good backup point guard is needed unless we see more growth from banton or Flynn. Otto porter will help, and having anyone 7 foot 1 on.the bench will also help in certain matchups.
                  Gary is also a threat to go off for 20-30 in game. We’ve seen him do it for stretches.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Dvdvideo wrote: View Post
                    This year you will see the raps overall skill come together. You will see 4 or 5 players playing at a very high level, and it will be very hard to stop. Yes, no "superstar" yet, but when fvv, Barnes, og, or Siakam can go off for 20-30 at any time, that's going to be hard to counter. If precious and gtj contribute at a 15-20 level it's going to be even harder. We just need some improvement from the bench, and some actual luck keeping the team largely healthy for the year. Also a good backup point guard is needed unless we see more growth from banton or Flynn. Otto porter will help, and having anyone 7 foot 1 on.the bench will also help in certain matchups.
                    That's the really difficult trick to pull off when you have multiple guys capable of scoring 20+ points. Achieving that chemistry where all the guys can put up buckets in the rhythm of the game and it not being a your turn, my turn situation. I remember Kyle and Siakam never seemed to both have good games at the same time because one guy always had to be the lead dog (Siakam also was notorious for his tunnel vision back then). Siakam and FVV have much better chemistry so it sort of work for them, but introducing a third player that can put up 20+ won't be easy or maybe even necessary. Trent averaged 18ppg last season which is pretty close, but not sure what is going to happen with his shot attempts this season if he remains a starter or comes off the bench.

Comment

• more importantly...once more week til we see actual raptors in raptors gear (not the Culver kind)

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

That's the really difficult trick to pull off when you have multiple guys capable of scoring 20+ points. Achieving that chemistry where all the guys can put up buckets in the rhythm of the game and it not being a your turn, my turn situation. I remember Kyle and Siakam never seemed to both have good games at the same time because one guy always had to be the lead dog (Siakam also was notorious for his tunnel vision back then). Siakam and FVV have much better chemistry so it sort of work for them, but introducing a third player that can put up 20+ won't be easy or maybe even necessary. Trent averaged 18ppg last season which is pretty close, but not sure what is going to happen with his shot attempts this season if he remains a starter or comes off the bench.

what are you talking about siakam's tunnel vision given that he has been a facilitator for two years ?

and last year siakam and barnes started building a synergy late in the year.

In terms of GTJ he can get those same shot attempts off the bench.

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post

Gary is also a threat to go off for 20-30 in game. We’ve seen him do it for stretches.
                          He is... its the consistency over 82 games that slows his roll to a higher tier.

The matching 4 for 17 - 10 point nights have to decrease...

That said.. hes what 23 or 24 years old ?

- TGO

Comment

He is... its the consistency over 82 games that slows his roll to a higher tier.

The matching 4 for 17 - 10 point nights have to decrease...

That said.. hes what 23 or 24 years old ?
                            Will be 24.

I think if he makes a big jump, it will be this season.

Contract year.

Who knows maybe if he doesn't get as many touches as he likes on the starting lineup, he would be more amicable to play a good chunk of his time coming off the bench (now that we have more bench players capable of setting him up).

Comment

• I think the Raps are going to be really good, but so is the East.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                I think the Raps are going to be really good, but so is the East.
                                You could make a case that almost every team in the east improved this off-season (except maybe Charlotte, Indiana & Miami)... via trade, draft, injured stars coming back or though growth of young guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X