Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 PreSeason - 3 Weeks to Camp Opening - Where Do The Raps Stack up in the East ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

what are you talking about siakam's tunnel vision given that he has been a facilitator for two years ?

and last year siakam and barnes started building a synergy late in the year.

In terms of GTJ he can get those same shot attempts off the bench.
    Yes, I noted it was during the Kyle years where Siakam had tunnel vision. He's gotten much better since then though I wouldn't say he's completely removed from it.

Siakam has good chemistry with FVV and with Barnes, but FVV and Barnes don't have the same chemistry with each other (yet). Trying to have chemistry with multiple players at the same time is a tricky thing.

We shouldn't presume Trent will be coming off the bench this season until Nurse comes out and says it or they open the season that way. So if Barnes is going to get bump in shots some players (OG, FVV, Trent) will be impacted by that. Will be interesting for sure to see what the rotation looks like.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

You could make a case that almost every team in the east improved this off-season (except maybe Charlotte, Indiana & Miami)... via trade, draft, injured stars coming back or though growth of young guys.
      Yup.

Last year Barnes, Cunningham, Mobley and Suggs... 4 of the top 5 draft picks landed in the east.
      This year its Banchero (#1) and Jaden Ivey .. 2 of the top 5 came east.
      Its now a 50/50 split for the top 15 players in the league (just going by the 2021-22 All NBA teams) but the younger players that were in the hunt for MIP and ROY in 2022 , 5 of the 6 finalists are from the East.

Barnes will improve....Fair or unfair to hang it on a 21 year old....the Raps seeding in a materially improved East depends on how fast he gets to his considerable ceiling.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

Yup.

Last year Barnes, Cunningham, Mobley and Suggs... 4 of the top 5 draft picks landed in the east.
        This year its Banchero (#1) and Jaden Ivey .. 2 of the top 5 came east.
        Its now a 50/50 split for the top 15 players in the league (just going by the 2021-22 All NBA teams) but the younger players that were in the hunt for MIP and ROY in 2022 , 5 of the 6 finalists are from the East.

Barnes will improve....Fair or unfair to hang it on a 21 year old....the Raps seeding in a materially improved East depends on how fast he gets to his considerable ceiling.
        Does it depend on how Barnes develops?

I don't know how many years the Raps have started a season as underdogs only to "over achieve" in the regular season. If this year is different it's only that I don't expect them to be underdogs, I think they will be one of the more complete and well rounded teams this season. Might take a bit of time to get guys like Otto, Juancho and JJ up to speed, but once they do I think the Raps will be a handful for any team from the East or West.

Comment

You could make a case that almost every team in the east improved this off-season (except maybe Charlotte, Indiana & Miami)... via trade, draft, injured stars coming back or though growth of young guys.
          You can say this every year though.. yet the Raptors under Masai always end up getting around 50 wins. Even in a year like last season where the team was without a starter for most of the year.

Raptors always do well in the regular season. The only time they didn't was when they were in Tampa.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

You can say this every year though.. yet the Raptors under Masai always end up getting around 50 wins. Even in a year like last season where the team was without a starter for most of the year.

Raptors always do well in the regular season. The only time they didn't was when they were in Tampa.
            Yep, we do this same song and dance every preseason, saying how much everyone else got better and we didn't, then they all underperform and we overperform. Betting over on Raps season win total is the surest bet in sports betting.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Does it depend on how Barnes develops?

I don't know how many years the Raps have started a season as underdogs only to "over achieve" in the regular season. If this year is different it's only that I don't expect them to be underdogs, I think they will be one of the more complete and well rounded teams this season. Might take a bit of time to get guys like Otto, Juancho and JJ up to speed, but once they do I think the Raps will be a handful for any team from the East or West.
              I think it does.
              We always talk about The NBA being a star driven league.... mostly because they only play 5 guys .. and you can play two or three of them for most of the game. Can't do that in hockey or soccer ... Baseball is a tough compare as the game is just different and football has split responsibilities between offense and defense.
              To be relevant (a contender for the Conference Championship or League Championship.......Scottie has to be a star..
              - TGO

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Yep, we do this same song and dance every preseason, saying how much everyone else got better and we didn't, then they all underperform and we overperform. Betting over on Raps season win total is the surest bet in sports betting.
                Who said Raptors didn’t improve?

Comment

No one is saying the Raps won't be better with the expected growth of Barnes and perhaps a surprise from someone we don't expect it from happens along the way .
                  Its that East as a whole got better... and perhaps there is a gap between how much the Raps improved vs how much the conference improved.
                  - TGO

Comment

people are suggesting that they didn't approve enough relative to the field.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

No one is saying the Raps won't be better with the expected growth of Barnes and perhaps a surprise from someone we don't expect it from happens along the way .
                      Its that East as a whole got better... and perhaps there is a gap between how much the Raps improved vs how much the conference improved.
                      We say this exact same thing every single preseason. Like clockwork. Said the same freaking thing last year.

Comment

The narrative is we won't win more games than last year. Winning games is how you measure improvement.

Comment

We say this exact same thing every single preseason. Like clockwork. Said the same freaking thing last year.
                          We got spoiled in 2019.
                          And
                          As the saying goes "once you see Paris its hard to keep the boys on the farm".
                          A colloquial way of saying expectations are considerably higher for the Raps after winning it all. You get spoiled.
                          And why not ?.
                          The Raps are a big market team, with good management and are more than adequately funded.
                          The goal is championships.
                          Got my day glo orange spray paint can and have marked my X at the Prince's Gates at Strachan and the Lakeshore ready to go.
                          But probably not this year.

Improvement will be getting out of round 1.

- TGO

Comment

• Siakam is the real deal once more
                            Barnes is my favorite Raptor ever
                            Fred will never be an All-Star again
                            I want OG to surprise me
                            and I'm not down on GTJr.

Raps in 5th in the East

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                              Siakam is the real deal once more
                              Barnes is my favorite Raptor ever
                              Fred will never be an All-Star again
                              I want OG to surprise me
                              and I'm not down on GTJr.

Raps in 5th in the East
                              Siakam is the real deal once more - Agree. He is a plug n play 20 + a game lock... love to see him rebound more on the back end.

Barnes is my favorite Raptor ever - Not since the Bosh / Carter era have we buzzed on a rookie like this one. He can be that good.

Fred will never be an All-Star again - Agree... The point guard of the future should be on the needs list at Raptors mobile command on Ujiris Blackberry.
                              I want OG to surprise me - Yes. Yes it will be a hell of a surprise. An injury free season with close to 20 PPG... Love to see him rebound more on the back end. .
                              and I'm not down on GTJr. - I'm neutral but not down on him. GTJr. is our microwave. Some nights he comes plugged in and fills it up. Some nights not so much. However....He is on his own option call at the end of this season. He is making 18. The cap has gone up. A more consistent year on the offensive end and if he brings his defensive chops every night he can get the bag from someone. He can opt out and score big... either with us or with someone else.

Raps in 5th in the East - Yep.. if all goes well thats in the range of outcomes. 5 through 7 is my range.
                              - TGO

Comment

• Every year we also understate the raps, regardless of the field. I have them in 2nd or 3rd, as long as they can stay relatively healthy.

Comment

Working...
                                X