X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Era for Raptors Republic

Hey guys & gals,

Not sure if you saw our announcement this morning (https://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2022...tors-republic/), but Raptors Republic is moving on up and taking things to another level.

Samson summed it up pretty good here:

https://twitter.com/samfolkk/status/...AzSt2EGICJRKvw

Zarar shared the rationale for those that didn't see it via Discord:

This is a continuation of the post on the site announcing subscriptions where we gave an overview of the rationale. This post will dig a little deeper so our readers understand where we’re coming from.

Ultimately, we would like to see RR become a company where people can rely on to make a decent living. People need security and predictability in their income, and we want RR to provide that for our writers. They work tirelessly researching topics and spend countless hours producing the content you enjoy so much. In return, they should feel secure and not have to worry about how to pay next month’s rent. If we hit our subscription goals we will be able to compensate people which in turn will result in even better content for you. That is why we anticipate most revenue going back to our writers.

Sports journalism is a tough business, and it's gotten tougher because the market rewards short, click-bait articles ridden with plenty of ads so that advertising intermediaries like Google can make money. We are obviously not that site and have never been. For us to maximize our earnings from display advertising, we’d have to essentially split up what is usually one article into three, which doesn’t sit right with us.

The irony in all of this is that our traffic has never been better, yet we’d have to show 30-40% more ads just to make the same amount of money we made 3 years ago. This is because of display ad prices falling due to advertisers having more options on how to distribute their marketing spend, e.g., TikTok, YouTube, podcasts.

For every dollar we make, Google takes 50%, and the result of the rest is what you have seen over the last decade. Imagine what we could do if we had that 50% at our disposal? As an efficient organization with low overhead, subscription revenue will enable our writers to elevate our content to levels you have not experienced yet.

Middlemen like Google are only half the problem. The cost of producing content has also increased. Gone are the days when we could get away with just written editorial content. More and more people prefer video content, which is more time-consuming and expensive to produce. The written word will always be our bread-and-butter but we wouldn’t be doing our readers justice if we didn’t also focus on video, especially our younger audiences.

This is a problem that everyone in the industry is having. Creating content is often a loss-leader, i.e., a product sold at a loss to attract customers. Think of it as Apple Music - they bleed money but that’s OK as long as you keep buying iPhones. Closer to our industry, Sportsnet and TSN are that to Rogers and Bell.

RR is different because we are an independent publication and don’t have a benefactor. We rely on our readers and a few local small businesses as sponsors (Get Goldfinger Today!!!). This forces us to look at sustainable revenue streams like subscriptions rather than be at the whim of advertisers.

In the past we have been called the “NCAA of sports journalism”. We’re happy that many of our former writers and producers go on to have careers in the industry, and welcome the reputation that brings. However, it doesn’t materially impact our revenue and we’re often left to start over fresh. Since our inception we’ve relied on the sheer will of our founders to create consistent content and recruit people; we have been blessed with great editors in Blake Murphy and Louis Zatzman who have helped carry the torch, but finding new talent this frequently is cumbersome, difficult and unpredictable.

We’d like to increase our planning cycle by extending our financial runway, and that can only happen if we have the right talent secured. A subscription model brings in a consistent revenue stream which allows us to focus on content creation, rather than constantly worrying about talent retention and recruitment.

We also care about user experience and privacy. You will notice that we redesigned the site to be lightning fast, have reduced the number of ads, and also gotten rid of the video player which chewed up bandwidth. For those of you on a desktop with an ad-blocker, you may not notice these things, but many, including mobile users, do. In the end, these changes benefit our readers as they get a faster website, better privacy and an improved reading experience.

Finally, there’s something to be said about independent journalism. My 12-year-old daughter wants to be a journalist when she grows up and when she told me this, on the tip of my tongue I could only find words of discouragement. “Don’t do it, it’s not worth it” was what I was primed to say but I held back. Why can’t journalism make a comeback? In the age of disinformation and information bubbles, we need media independence more than ever. We need journalists that separate the truth from the propaganda, the reality from the narrative. Although in sports the stakes are lower than politics or economics, the principles are the same. This site was created because we wanted to give an honest account of what we saw on the court regardless of who we might agitate or if it went against public opinion. Our readers respected that, and 14 years later, we ask you to let us continue our mission.

It is our promise to you that whatever we put under Premium will be worth it. Subscribe to keep independent journalism alive.

It would be a pretty dumb move to charge posters to continue to chat in the forums. Us posters are actually creating content that drives readership here and trickling over to the main site. I hope they don't try a silly move like that. If RR is trying to turn this into a business, then the forums should be a key part of their freemium feeder system.

Charging for the articles is fair game, I suppose - but, on the flip side....some past RR writers have graduated to mainstream media and paid their dues and using this community as a beta-test site to build a portfolio.

Could go either way, but I'm predicting... RIP RR.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      It would be a pretty dumb move to charge posters to continue to chat in the forums. Us posters are actually creating content that drives readership here and trickling over to the main site. I hope they don't try a silly move like that. If RR is trying to turn this into a business, then the forums should be a key part of their freemium feeder system.

Charging for the articles is fair game, I suppose - but, on the flip side....some past RR writers have graduated to mainstream media and paid their dues and using this community as a beta-test site to build a portfolio.

Could go either way, but I'm predicting... RIP RR.
      RIP? How did you come up with that outcome? LOL

We're not charging to use the forums. We're charging for premium content from some of our notable writers. We want to be considered in the "mainstream" so if we can continue to grow the site, we hope to retain writers like Samson, Louis, Oren, etc. , and not have them go elsewhere.

Anyhow, thanks for your optimism!

Comment

Doc wrote: View Post

We're not charging to use the forums. We're charging for premium content from some of our notable writers. We want to be considered in the "mainstream" so if we can continue to grow the site, we hope to retain writers like Samson, Louis, Oren, etc. , and not have them go elsewhere.

Good luck. $6/month is more than reasonable for the content that RR provides. Reading the post, I'm actually surprised at how much stuff you are leaving for free. Keep producing good work and it will attract people.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Good luck. $6/month is more than reasonable for the content that RR provides. Reading the post, I'm actually surprised at how much stuff you are leaving for free. Keep producing good work and it will attract people.
          With you on this Slaw. I pay a monthly fee for Netflix (I don't even know how much it is) and pay for the Athletic but spend far more time on RR than either of those. Every morning I am checking out the forums, particularly the hot takes from the usual suspects, the articles, the videos and some of the podcasts. I will happily kick in the cost of one morning at Starbucks a month. Just keep doing it guys. You are doing it right.

Comment

Ah, got it.. thx. As long as you don't change the forums... we good. Keep on keepin' on.

Good luck to Samson, Louis & Oren, etc.... Paywall or not, if they are talented writers (and they are) they will eventually move onward and upward. The cream rises.

I've been on here long enough to remember William Lou (ddaylewis, lol) starting on here as a humble journalism student asking posters questions about basketball to help him learn the game. Lots of respect to that guy. Hopefully the others can follow his (and Blake Murphy's) path.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post

Ah, got it.. thx. As long as you don't change the forums... we good. Keep on keepin' on.

Good luck to Samson, Louis & Oren, etc.... Paywall or not, if they are talented writers (and they are) they will eventually move onward and upward. The cream rises.

I've been on here long enough to remember William Lou (ddaylewis, lol) starting on here as a humble journalism student asking posters questions about basketball to help him learn the game. Lots of respect to that guy. Hopefully the others can follow his (and Blake Murphy's) path.
              I do rather enjoy that RR has sent several writers to the big leagues, and they provide the best Raptors coverage around. I follow a lot of teams and sports and this is by far the best team focused blog I read.

Comment

I ain't paying to read opinions. I watch the games.

Comment

One way to consider gating it: I never watch videos. It sucks to pay more so you can create content I don't consume. Have you considered a read only membership at say $3 (or even better $20 or something for the season so I don't have to give you recurring, just a one-off payment), and a read plus video at $6?

P.S. My ideal would be micro-payments. Charge up my account via a credit card with $5 every so often, and pay you $0.05-0.10 for every article I read. I wish more content providers would do that. I'd love to pay that way.

Comment

Over the last few years, I have been contributing a monthly donation to RR's Patreon page. Will you be recognizing those contributions as a subscription?

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post

I ain't paying to read opinions. I watch the games.
                      I'm not surprised. Knowing you if you did have money, it would be with Monopoly bills anyways.

Comment

Paradigm Shift wrote: View Post
                        Over the last few years, I have been contributing a monthly donation to RR's Patreon page. Will you be recognizing those contributions as a subscription?
                        We'll give you a free subscription. Please send an email to raptorsrepublic@gmail.com with your Patreon email. Thank you!

Comment

The Republic should be a case study in modern journalism one day. Best of luck and well deserved

Comment

Signed up just in time for the season opener. No problem supporting the RR crowd. Premium content.

Comment

I'm not surprised. Knowing you if you did have money, it would be with Monopoly bills anyways.
                              Just one man's opinion, but if you want to represent RR in this discussion, the above post isn't necessary or helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X