Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything 2015 Raptor free agency pursuit (non current Raptor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    He was a second rounder, but he signed a three year deal, so no Gilbert Arenas provision (since the Warriors have his full Bird Rights).

No need for a Parsons offer I would think. Straight up max should do it.
    The thing with straight up max is we don't know how the cap is going to increase. whether it is a gradual increase over 3 years or a one time boom. If we give up max this off season and cap goes up gradually the following three years starting from the new TV deal 2016 then we are only benefiting from it in the latter part of that contract while sacrificing 2016 off season.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Parsons is a max on an annual basis no?

I was more thinking 2 years, player option year 3, trade kicker

Those are the small details that made morey pass
      Yeah, but those are also small details that make it suck to have a player on a contract like that. In Green's case it should come down to the tax crunch for GSW, since they just extended Klay, so the first year salary should be deterrent enough. I think they'd ignore the secondary stuff if they could afford to match.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
        The thing with straight up max is we don't know how the cap is going to increase. whether it is a gradual increase over 3 years or a one time boom. If we give up max this off season and cap goes up gradually the following three years starting from the new TV deal 2016 then we are only benefiting from it in the latter part of that contract while sacrificing 2016 off season.
        The 2016 offseason is just not going to be a free agency win for the Raptors, unless you are not particularly attached to the current core. Better to strike early and have the flexibility to sign and trade or trade that off-season to move up to the new high tax level.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The 2016 offseason is just not going to be a free agency win for the Raptors, unless you are not particularly attached to the current core. Better to strike early and have the flexibility to sign and trade or trade that off-season to move up to the new high tax level.
          Yep that's what I'm saying. It's this year or never to add without losing a significant piece.

It's why I sometimes think it would be a good idea to renounce amir. But then I watch open gym and come to my senses. I love him.
          "Bruno?
          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Here's an idea - restricted free agent Draymond Green. Offer him the max (about 15M), see if GSW are too cash strapped to match. Can play 3 and 4, stretches the floor, is a very good rebounder. Would give us a ROCK solid 2 through 4, with key pieces in Lowry and JV at the ends. Would target a high potential PG in the draft, let BeBe grow into the backup C role.
            Love Green, not totally sure he's worth the max, but trying for him would be a great idea.

Comment

Huh? Probably 4 years. Why would you offer one year?

I think Green is underrated, and will only get better, and I think with the cap going up soon it wouldn't kill our flexibility. And he's played a lot of PF this year for GS with Lee out.
              Green is only 6'7" so he's kinda small for a full time PF. I like TT a lot better at the PF position. I'm not sure where you got your metrics but TT has the same blocks per 36 as Amir, and holds his opponents to below average PER at the PF position, so I don't see this steep drop off from Amir. Not to mention guys are just blowing by Amir sometimes because he's all banged up constantly. I can almost guarantee that TT will be the superior defender to Amir next season due to TT improving and Amir declining.

DanH wrote: View Post
              You just said we don't know when the cap will jump. My understanding was it will likely be a huge jump in 2016 instead of gradual, so why wouldn't we have a ton of cap space to work with in 2016 if that were to occur? It's also why I suggested a 1 year deal, because I think a lot of players, especially young guys, will want to resign under the much higher cap.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Green is only 6'7" so he's kinda small for a full time PF. I like TT a lot better at the PF position. I'm not sure where you got your metrics but TT has the same blocks per 36 as Amir, and holds his opponents to below average PER at the PF position, so I don't see this steep drop off from Amir. Not to mention guys are just blowing by Amir sometimes because he's all banged up constantly. I can almost guarantee that TT will be the superior defender to Amir next season due to TT improving and Amir declining.

You just said we don't know when the cap will jump. My understanding was it will likely be a huge jump in 2016 instead of gradual, so why wouldn't we have a ton of cap space to work with in 2016 if that were to occur? It's also why I suggested a 1 year deal, because I think a lot of players, especially young guys, will want to resign under the much higher cap.
                He does have over 7'1" wingspan

Comment

• I hate the thought of losing the MLE and therefore Lou or Amir by going after any free agent this year. So instead I'd prefer a trade.. one of our expirings like Fields/Chuck and Hans with a protected pick for Thad Young (or Jeff Green).

We'll also have Bird rights to Amir and Lou, and use the MLE to get a backup center. That's better than spending all that money on Draymond Green.. or Tristan Thompson.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    I hate the thought of losing the MLE and therefore Lou or Amir by going after any free agent this year. So instead I'd prefer a trade.. one of our expirings like Fields/Chuck and Hans with a protected pick for Thad Young (or Jeff Green).

We'll also have Bird rights to Amir and Lou, and use the MLE to get a backup center. That's better than spending all that money on Draymond Green.. or Tristan Thompson.
                    Nobody's taking Fields/Hayes + Hansbrough for a quality player.

Comment

• Mindlessness wrote: View Post
                      Nobody's taking Fields/Hayes + Hansbrough for a quality player.
                      If you include a pick.. Minny or Boston might. Both Green and Young can be expiring contracts after this year, as both have player options. And I doubt for a second that either player would want to play for a rebuilding team.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        If you include a pick.. Minny or Boston might. Both Green and Young can be expiring contracts after this year, as both have player options. And I doubt for a second that either player would want to play for a rebuilding team.
                        Yeah, I just don't see it, I feel they'd be laughing at you as they hung up. Fields and Hayes have no value other than they're expirings. Hansbrough might garner a 2nd, but that's it. Otherwise I don't see anything coming out of the three. Just let them expire.

Comment

I think 14-10-2 with above average defense is realistic stat line for Thompson starting next year. Hard to call that over valued. Thinking about it more though, Cleveland will probably match any offer and demand a sign and trade to get him. They won't have any cap space so bringing back guys with bird rights is the only way to make their team not get worse.
                          Even if we don't make an offer for Thompson, somebody else with cap space needs to make a non-lowball offer to him, to keep the Bron Big Three Cavs capped out (and possibly even steer them into the luxury tax).

One more thing worth mentioning: Apparently, as per media reports, TT watched at least one game of our first round series from out in the square like a lot of more usual Raptors fans did, so it's safe to say that while he's obviously playing hard for the team which has him under contract, he may actually *want* to come here. If TT wants to come here, a decision by Cleveland to match our offer to try to force a sign and trade could backfire on them.

Comment

We don't know what the cap will jump to, but in the most optimistic case, we need to lose one of DD or Ross, plus GV and JJ to have max cap room. In the more pessimistic cases where the cap gets backloaded, we just can't do it without losing all of them. No matter where the cap ends up, sign and trades and trades leveraging our youth and picks is the way to approach 2016. Adding top talent in 2015 can only help that.

As for defensive metrics, the best ones are DRPM for overall impact and Opp FG% at the rim for rim protection.

In terms of rim protection, Green meets opponents at the rim 6 times per game and holds them to 47%, a good number, comparable to Jonas this year (who has improved a bunch from last year) but on less shots. Thompson? Allows 51% shooting.

Meanwhile, Thompson posts a -0.15 DRPM (slightly below average defender) while Green manages a +3.79 (elite).
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Meanwhile, Green is posting a better rebound rate than Amir this year, and a higher assist rate than DeMar had last year. While being a good shooter as well.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Brandan Wright anyone? he'll be a FA after this season.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X