• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great breakdown in that thread
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Would have liked for that acknowledgement to have come with more moves, but will have to see if what the summer brings. For now they've added another guy that will be due $20M+ per year on the next contract. They've gotta start turning these quarters into dollars.
      Why would that acknowledgement come with more moves? The acknowledgment is "we need a real C" so they got a real C.

And yes, adding quality players who are worth paying is a great way to make sure you have quality players on your team. If they can pay them all, what's to complain about? And if you want to be able to turn quarters into dollars, you want to have as many quarters as possible!
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Your talking in circles, that was my whole point. We had a chance to trade those guys at the deadline. Now the chances of them walking for nothing increases this summer.

We had a bird in the hand and 2 in the bush with potential for a higher draft pick and young talent in return.

Now we have 3 birds but only 2 hands. Our birds are robins and there's eagles out there were trying to compete with.
        Higher draft pick? We would have had to sell HARD to stay in that 6th-ish pick range. We already graded out as a .500 ish team and were probably going to regress to that without actively shredding the roster. Upgrading with Jak just accelerated that process and we got there with 20 games to spare.

What could we have traded those guys for at the deadline, and how much better was it than them walking for nothing? I saw zero rumours of an actual worthwhile offer for either of Fred (rumoured junk) or Gary (literally not a single rumour even leaked so there might not even have been real offers). Oh, if only we had traded Fred for a late 1st, that would have turned the whole franchise around in no time.

You actually didn't say any of that by the way. What you said was that it wasn't worth paying all that money to keep Fred and Gary.

Again, this insistence that we have too many pieces to keep - evidence! Please! Why do you think there is no chance to keep all three? Which teams are offering our players how much, why are we unable to match those offers? Lay it out, explain it to us, it seems to be very obvious to you so it should be easy.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Again, this insistence that we have too many pieces to keep - evidence! Please! Why do you think there is no chance to keep all three? Which teams are offering our players how much, why are we unable to match those offers? Lay it out, explain it to us, it seems to be very obvious to you so it should be easy.
          This is it, basically. The Raps are not hamstrung in any meaningful way heading into the off-season. And we don't really care how they finish this year anyway, do we? Given that we all know they were very likely never getting the 1/2 pick in the draft nor winning the championship, no matter what the FO did at the trade deadline. They were always going to land in the 10-20 range, and based on team history, they'll probably get a nice piece there.

Would you rather they had traded Fred for the likes of Luke Kennard and Brandon Boston (adding 4 years of Kennard at $15M+), and no picks? Because that's the rumored offer from LAC. There were zero rumors of any return for Gary. OG was apparently only getting pick offers, no players. So what would you have had Masai do? Throw one of those guys away for pennies (talk about turning quarters into dollars!)?

As mentioned, they can pay all 3 of Fred, Gary and Jak if they want. My guess is 2 of the 3 will be back, with probably Gary on his way out, and that they'll push for a better return than was offered at the trade deadline for OG if possible -- recoup one or more 1sts in future drafts, plus a good young player(s)? Or do they find a decent sign-and-trade for Fred? In any case, powder still dry to make big trades down the road. Seems like solid asset management to me.

Comment

• bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Your talking in circles, that was my whole point. We had a chance to trade those guys at the deadline. Now the chances of them walking for nothing increases this summer.

We had a bird in the hand and 2 in the bush with potential for a higher draft pick and young talent in return.

Now we have 3 birds but only 2 hands. Our birds are robins and there's eagles out there were trying to compete with.
            We had a chance to trade Fred for absolute garbage at the deadline and declined to do so. It wasn't this great opportunity that we blew as you're insinuating.

We seem to have every intention of keep Gary, so not moving him was the move.

Comment

• They could sign everybody because they have their bird rights. Sign and trade or see what you can get in next years trade deadline again with much better contract situation. I think going into luxury to retain assets is big possibility. As long it's not some long term situation.
              Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Raptors are 8-2 over their last 10 games.

The only team in the NBA doing better is the Bucks who are 10-0.

Time to be optimistic guys. This is our best stretch of the season by far. 4 games out of the 6 seed. Let's go!

Comment

Higher draft pick? We would have had to sell HARD to stay in that 6th-ish pick range. We already graded out as a .500 ish team and were probably going to regress to that without actively shredding the roster. Upgrading with Jak just accelerated that process and we got there with 20 games to spare.

What could we have traded those guys for at the deadline, and how much better was it than them walking for nothing? I saw zero rumours of an actual worthwhile offer for either of Fred (rumoured junk) or Gary (literally not a single rumour even leaked so there might not even have been real offers). Oh, if only we had traded Fred for a late 1st, that would have turned the whole franchise around in no time.

You actually didn't say any of that by the way. What you said was that it wasn't worth paying all that money to keep Fred and Gary.

Man dan I like you but you have a way of picking out things of a post and making inferences for others.

In summary I want to be 6th, I'll be disappointed if we end up in the play in because we could have just cashed in fred or Gary for an asset and got a higher pick.

I'm fine with the Jak trade he is a good center.

And I don't think brining the whole team back next year is great, because i don't think this is a great team.

All these post i clearly said in my opinion. I'm not pretending to be the end all be all information on the raptors. Saying this as a poster not a moderator but it comes off really condescending when you respond like this.
                  To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

This is it, basically. The Raps are not hamstrung in any meaningful way heading into the off-season. And we don't really care how they finish this year anyway, do we? Given that we all know they were very likely never getting the 1/2 pick in the draft nor winning the championship, no matter what the FO did at the trade deadline. They were always going to land in the 10-20 range, and based on team history, they'll probably get a nice piece there.

Would you rather they had traded Fred for the likes of Luke Kennard and Brandon Boston (adding 4 years of Kennard at $15M+), and no picks? Because that's the rumored offer from LAC. There were zero rumors of any return for Gary. OG was apparently only getting pick offers, no players. So what would you have had Masai do? Throw one of those guys away for pennies (talk about turning quarters into dollars!)?

As mentioned, they can pay all 3 of Fred, Gary and Jak if they want. My guess is 2 of the 3 will be back, with probably Gary on his way out, and that they'll push for a better return than was offered at the trade deadline for OG if possible -- recoup one or more 1sts in future drafts, plus a good young player(s)? Or do they find a decent sign-and-trade for Fred? In any case, powder still dry to make big trades down the road. Seems like solid asset management to me.
                    i don't disagree with the bulk of your post but i just don't see the bold as very likely. think his value will have been higher at the deadline when he was available to whoever got him for two playoff runs on his current contract rather than the one he'll be available for this offseason. and if he really wants out then we might have missed an opportunity to maximize his value

Comment

Why would that acknowledgement come with more moves? The acknowledgment is "we need a real C" so they got a real C.

And yes, adding quality players who are worth paying is a great way to make sure you have quality players on your team. If they can pay them all, what's to complain about? And if you want to be able to turn quarters into dollars, you want to have as many quarters as possible!
                      They've added another guy that can't shoot in the starting line up. We weren't a good shooting team when it was just Scottie and Pascal that weren't great shooters so it would have been nice for them to address that.

Agreed, having as many quarters as possible is a good thing and I wasn't arguing that. However, they've got Siakam, Fred, Gary, OG, Poeltl, Precious and eventually Barnes who will all be seeking over $20M per in their next contracts. We can't pay them all so they need to convert some of them into the dollars. I don't know how they could pay them all, but event if they could this isn't a contender with the addition of Poeltl. Some changes are needed.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        However, they've got Siakam, Fred, Gary, OG, Poeltl, Precious and eventually Barnes who will all be seeking over $20M per in their next contracts. We can't pay them all so they need to convert some of them into the dollars.
                        But there's plenty of time for that. It's not like, once you pay those guys, you're stuck with them. All of them are good players. All of them will be tradeable assets for the life of their next contracts. This isn't a case of getting stuck with a bad asset like Demarre Carroll or Andrea Bargnani.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i don't disagree with the bulk of your post but i just don't see the bold as very likely. think his value will have been higher at the deadline when he was available to whoever got him for two playoff runs on his current contract rather than the one he'll be available for this offseason. and if he really wants out then we might have missed an opportunity to maximize his value
                          But his value WASN'T high at the deadline; that's kind of the point. The best offer we heard about was 3 1sts, no players. I don't think FOs look at it like you do, in terms of getting a "free" year out of him before his next contract. Teams who want OG want him because of his skillset, not his contract. And more teams are likely to a) want him, and b) be able to pony up what he's worth, in July vs. February.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/st...1S2fNSIjA&s=19
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

I don't agree with this because there are way more teams interested in OG this offseason, and teams with assets we actually want.

There were a couple contenders trying to buy OG on the cheap, the rumored offers were not worth it.

This offseason brings into play teams like OKC and Utah, among many others, who have young players and picks to trade for OG.

Not to mention everyone that was interested in him at the deadline will still be interested since they didn't win the championship and will think OG is the missing piece.

Portland couldn't deal their pick this year because it's lotto protected and might convey, now that they're tanking they will have their pick and can deal it, so their offer will be better in the offseason if they make one.

I also don't even want to deal OG. The return needs to be awesome or we're way better off keeping him. He fits Scottie's time-line perfectly and compliments his play as well.

Comment

• Its too bad we couldnt get a first and expirings for fred. Has that ever happened a guy In the last all star game not even offered one first rounder?

Comment

Working...
                                X