Everything 2022-2023 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    As the season grinds on and the Raps unfortunately look like they are circling the drain its draws an interesting comparison to how Toronto beat writers cover the team. So far no pointed criticism of the teams construct and standing. A quick look at a similar team in Vancouver in the NHL and its non stop on the coach and GM. Both have underperformed against expectations. One takes it in the snarus daily. One doesn't. Time for some new blood on the beat ?
    I've been saying this for a long time. Why have we not heard from Masai or Bobby? these guys only seem to do an interview after the season or after the trade deadline(mostly Bobby). And the people who covers this never seem to criticize the front office? this management didn't do anything in the offseason to improve the team. That's why they are where they are right now. They still don't have a C, they still don't have a bench and there's not many shooters on the team.

I live in Vancouver and Jim Rutherford did a press conference yesterday to address the state of the Canucks. The media grilled him by the way. Atkins and Shapiro does a lot of interviews during the season. Dubas obviously is on the news everyday. Everytime the Jays or the Leafs underperform or make a bad trade, the Toronto media would be all over them. With the Raptors *crickets* They traded a first for Thad Young. Nobody really going to talk about that huh?
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Because Brian Colangelo talked too much that's what got him in trouble. Masai is smart
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        Because Brian Colangelo talked too much that's what got him in trouble. Masai is smart
        BC was the undisputed heavyweight champion of winning the off-season press conference.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

I've been saying this for a long time. Why have we not heard from Masai or Bobby? these guys only seem to do an interview after the season or after the trade deadline(mostly Bobby). And the people who covers this never seem to criticize the front office? this management didn't do anything in the offseason to improve the team. That's why they are where they are right now. They still don't have a C, they still don't have a bench and there's not many shooters on the team.

I live in Vancouver and Jim Rutherford did a press conference yesterday to address the state of the Canucks. The media grilled him by the way. Atkins and Shapiro does a lot of interviews during the season. Dubas obviously is on the news everyday. Everytime the Jays or the Leafs underperform or make a bad trade, the Toronto media would be all over them. With the Raptors *crickets* They traded a first for Thad Young. Nobody really going to talk about that huh?
          Man, it's tough to be a sports fan around here.
          Canucks is still a BIG stupid mess.
          The Raptors is like this.
          At least the Seahawks is showing some promise.

As for the Raptors, it is time for the fans and media to move on from 2019 and start to get a bit real with Masai and co.

Comment

• With a qualified "if we're going in that direction", we're at 7th in the reverse standings. The teams 1/2 back in 8 and 9 are the Lakers and Bulls. Two teams that don't have their picks (ish) and have incentive to win. A game back is Phx and they'll get Booker back (and maybe Fred ). Next is Portland. Gotta think they're buyers. Then OKC. Unless SGA gets "injured" they're on the rise. Then Minnesota who's pick goes to Utah. Then Atlanta. They went all in for this year. Next is Utah...they could be a wild card. And next is, wait for it......the Clippers .

So basically, on our current trajectory, we look like 7th, maybe 8th at the worst. Orlando and Washington are both having spurts of good games so the 5 spot may be in play. But maybe we'll trade for the 2023 John Salmons and win the division

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Man, it's tough to be a sports fan around here.
              Canucks is still a BIG stupid mess.
              The Raptors is like this.
              At least the Seahawks is showing some promise.

As for the Raptors, it is time for the fans and media to move on from 2019 and start to get a bit real with Masai and co.
              I say this, the Raptors are in a much much better shape than the other 2 teams that you mentioned. The Canucks are a shitshow every year. And the Hawks? not sure what promise you're talking about. They got their ass kicked by the 49ers last week lol.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

I say this, the Raptors are in a much much better shape than the other 2 teams that you mentioned. The Canucks are a shitshow every year. And the Hawks? not sure what promise you're talking about. They got their ass kicked by the 49ers last week lol.
                I’m confused here. You want our front office to emulate a front office that produces a shitshow every year?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

I’m confused here. You want our front office to emulate a front office that produces a shitshow every year?
                  Twisting my words again.

I want some accountabilty. I also mentioned Shapiro and Atkins who does a lot of interviews during the season. They did a great job this offseason to improve the team. The Jays look like a contender now. If they didn't do anything this offseason they would get flamed by the media. Guess what? Masai didn't do anything in the offseason to improve the team and the Toronto media are acting like everything's cool.

I say this, if the Jays don't live up to the hype this year, Shapiro and Atkins would be on the news everyday. Not the players, not the coaching staff, but Shapiro and Atkins.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Twisting my words again.

I want some accountabilty. I also mentioned Shapiro and Atkins who does a lot of interviews during the season. They did a great job this offseason to improve the team. The Jays look like a contender now. If they didn't do anything this offseason they would get flamed by the media. Guess what? Masai didn't do anything in the offseason to improve the team and the Toronto media are acting like everything's cool.

I say this, if the Jays don't live up to the hype this year, Shapiro and Atkins would be on the news everyday. Not the players, not the coaching staff, but Shapiro and Atkins.
                    You want them to spout off to the media, a few weeks before the trade deadline? How does that help them make better deals, if that’s what’s coming? Keeping your options open and cards close to the vest is usually the right way to head into negotiations. If they do have a press conference, it will probably be carefully orchestrated for consumption of the other NBA front offices… not for fan accountability.

Comment

BC was the undisputed heavyweight champion of winning the off-season press conference.
                      Yeah I could see through his snake oil salesman gimmick
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                        As the season grinds on and the Raps unfortunately look like they are circling the drain its draws an interesting comparison to how Toronto beat writers cover the team. So far no pointed criticism of the teams construct and standing. A quick look at a similar team in Vancouver in the NHL and its non stop on the coach and GM. Both have underperformed against expectations. One takes it in the snarus daily. One doesn't. Time for some new blood on the beat ?

Objectivity aside..... Freddy to the Suns ?
                        Nurse is open criticism since his schemes and urging of the roster to exhibit effort is on the court every other day and he does media availability after every game.

Masai/Bobby are still pretty much teflon in the media but the shine is wearing thin. At some point, fans (who rightfully care about project Africa, us slogans etc) want the outcome on the court to be job one. No more riding the coat tails of an improbable 2019 chip, the roster has huge holes that have not been addressed for quite some time. They tried to do something innovative, now own it.

Fred may pay the price, sentimentality be gone. GTJr would almost be an appeasement and not really indicate a willingness to admit we have issues and may just prolong them.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Nurse is open criticism since his schemes and urging of the roster to exhibit effort is on the court every other day and he does media availability after every game.

Masai/Bobby are still pretty much teflon in the media but the shine is wearing thin. At some point, fans (who rightfully care about project Africa, us slogans etc) want the outcome on the court to be job one. No more riding the coat tails of an improbable 2019 chip, the roster has huge holes that have not been addressed for quite some time. They tried to do something innovative, now own it.

Fred may pay the price, sentimentality be gone. GTJr would almost be an appeasement and not really indicate a willingness to admit we have issues and may just prolong them.
                          It’s not just the one year improbable chip run… it’s 9 out of 10 years in the playoffs (and smartly tanking in the excusable Tampa year), plus being a top 3 winningest NBA franchise over Masai’s tenure. Call it Teflon, but he’s built up a shit-ton of legitimate goodwill, far beyond the chip season. Just last playoffs we were favored by a decent amount of pundits to knock off the Sixers.

This is a down year, with chemistry poisoned by the various contract situations and players unhappy with pecking orders. That will sort itself out in time. Big question is if they can/will seize the sellers market moment right now and strike a deal that could propel the franchise forward for a decade. Or will sentimentality continue to reign.

Comment

It’s not just the one year improbable chip run… it’s 9 out of 10 years in the playoffs (and smartly tanking in the excusable Tampa year), plus being a top 3 winningest NBA franchise over Masai’s tenure. Call it Teflon, but he’s built up a shit-ton of legitimate goodwill, far beyond the chip season. Just last playoffs we were favored by a decent amount of pundits to knock off the Sixers.

This is a down year, with chemistry poisoned by the various contract situations and players unhappy with pecking orders. That will sort itself out in time. Big question is if they can/will seize the sellers market moment right now and strike a deal that could propel the franchise forward for a decade. Or will sentimentality continue to reign.
                            All warranted as well. Masai likely has his job here for however long he wants it.

You can start criticizing his decisions which is fair, but his track record shows he made teams better more often than not whether its Toronto or Denver. It'll take many years of poor decisions and losing games to lose faith in him.

Comment

Fred to the Suns
                              On the surface its a good fit.
                              Chris Paul struggling a bit this year. Booker on the shelf and Cam Johnson hurt. Phoenix is hurting for ball handling and shooting.

Phoenix could give us a top 10 or lottery protected first and Crowder+Saric to make the money work. Both contracts expire this year.
                              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                              - TGO

Comment

Hawks have top 5 pick.
                                And they have stud rookies K9 and Tariq.
                                Defense has improved a lot too.

Comment

Working...
                                X