No announcement yet.

#Wojbomb -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hate the fact that draft picks are tweeted out before they're announced by the Stern/Silver, it just ruins all the fun of it for me and means I can't go on the internet to places like here since it'll just be spoiled.

Comment

I don't read Woj's articles. The way I see it, it's the scummy business of nba reporting: to get that level of access, you need to perform a ton of either journalistic fellatio or journalistic assassination.

Either way, nobody else is anywhere near this guy in terms of breaking the news.

Comment

I agree with you there KHD. I really only care about the news itself, headlines are usually enough for me so I usually don't end up reading articles that could (as we glean from this very interesting article) be influenced by a writer's opinion. I like to draw my own conclusions.

I thought the stuff he said about his non-relationship with Lebron was very, very interesting though. Kind of gives you a bit of perspective about other pieces written by other people. I always hear people talking about certain players attitude and what not and now I'm wondering if they drew their own conclusions or if they read about it, and whether or not those articles were unreasonably biased due to some reporter getting screwed over for a news scoop and taking it out on the player! Pretty crazy if you think about it.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
          I hate the fact that draft picks are tweeted out before they're announced by the Stern/Silver, it just ruins all the fun of it for me and means I can't go on the internet to places like here since it'll just be spoiled.
          Does it really ruin the fun though? I mean, we're talking about a 15 second difference between the tweet and Silver's announcement.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Does it really ruin the fun though? I mean, we're talking about a 15 second difference between the tweet and Silver's announcement.
            So why even tweet it? Quite the scoop. It never ceases to amaze me how adhd society has become.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              So why even tweet it? Quite the scoop. It never ceases to amaze me how adhd society has become.
              If we're trying to dissect why people choose to tweet things, we're in for a very long exercise in futility

But if a tweet bothers someone, it's real easy to put one's phone down for an hour or two.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                When does a reporter cross the line between journalist and publicist?
                When he signs with ESPN, CBS, NBA.COM, or CNNSI.

Comment

I think it's a fun article, mostly because it's cleverly written, has a few things I didn't know, yet, is still completely identical to the very behaviour its trying to call out. Reading between the lines I see a guy like Woj, who is no saint, but who also cannot stand the big brother style of manipulating a sport he grew up loving. There is a strong reason he hates ESPN, a lot of us here feel it too but we don't really see the connection until now.

Where the Big Brother corp is constantly manipulating the public, telling them who to love, telling them who to watch in order to cultivate massive profits from advertising and cable interests, Woj simply manipulates stories here and there to stir the pot enough that his sources remain productive. Some people don't like this, they look at his treatment of deandre or Lebron and they only see it as some personal vendetta, while other, myself included, see it a sa guy who calls out people for reasons he see's fit. Woj is a a throw back in many ways, from back when the beat writer was all ya had. Piss him off he reported one way, keep him happy, he id it another, but when the chips were down, you could be damn sure he'd keep people honest.

I wonder hos the writer of that article failed to see the evil of the alternative ESPN provides. A monopoly of pageantry and ass kissing. Manipulating the facts and truths, building fake hero's or stars to promote what i feel is a borderline illegal partnership with sponsors to help keep the public buying. Its one thing to provide news, another altogether to use that promotion to change the news to suit your financial needs.

I complain a lot about ESPN..... people speak of tinfoil hats etc and I get that. But fellas, there is a big world out there, and there are things happening you may not have thought of yet. Public perception of an event or of a person is very important to people who's job it is to make money selling. I'm not ever trying to tear down people's heros, more, just want them to love them for the right reasons. When in todays society who got the W is all people remember, its important how they got it, and important that it remains a "game", unaffected by business, unaffected by corruption or anything close to it. That big machine is real. ESPN, CBS, SI, they are all VERY real, and they aren't doing you any favors. If the writer of this article had the balls to write THAT story, i'd be all ears, but taking on the little guy, the little guy fighting that iant everyday and winning, well that just shows me one thing.... he's part of the machine.

Fuck this article.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I don't know, it's just the build up of hearing "And with the x pick in the draft, the blah blah blah select..."

I know he didn't tweet it out but the Bruno Caboclo pick would've been so much different if I read a tweet about it first somehow.

Comment

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
                      I don't know, it's just the build up of hearing "And with the x pick in the draft, the blah blah blah select..."

I know he didn't tweet it out but the Bruno Caboclo pick would've been so much different if I read a tweet about it first somehow.
                      I enjoy that part of the draft too. I just don't go online during the draft cuz i like to watch simmons and jalen lol

I could see how it would be hard to avoid the info if you like to be on a chat or forum during the draft though
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Would you still be a Woj fan if Casey decided to become one of Woj's sources and Woj started writing stories about Casey's coaching brilliance?
                        That's where reporters lose credibility. I have always felt that too many 'reporters' are too close to the players and teams they cover and this influences the type of stories and level of praise/criticism they dole out.

Comment

stooley wrote: View Post
                          I enjoy that part of the draft too. I just don't go online during the draft cuz i like to watch simmons and jalen lol

I could see how it would be hard to avoid the info if you like to be on a chat or forum during the draft though
                          I like to ignore the internet on draft night too but I can't stand Simmons and Jalen (more so Simmons). I prefer to hear about the prospect and their strengths/weaknesses rather than the team and their thinking. I know the teams, but not all the prospects. I find Simmons is simply too generic for my taste.
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Great find Thead.

I personally prefer the Woj method that includes opinions rather than just the "ticker" presentation of facts. Other writers may sometimes get the scoop first, must once the info is out, their writing offers no value (so basically be first or worthless). Woj is often first, but even when he isn't he offers his insight on the ramifications and frames the context. Long live the #WojBomb
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                              Great find Thead.

I personally prefer the Woj method that includes opinions rather than just the "ticker" presentation of facts. Other writers may sometimes get the scoop first, must once the info is out, their writing offers no value (so basically be first or worthless). Woj is often first, but even when he isn't he offers his insight on the ramifications and frames the context. Long live the #WojBomb
                              Completely agree. I'm much more drawn to writers who provide their own opinion. It provides for refreshing reads.

There's nothing more boring that reading a regurgitation of facts when a boxscore would basically offer the same insight.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                                He didn't get the Bruno pick. So it is likely his sources were actually on the 29 other teams, not the league office.
                                I remember reading that Woj had half of the 30 1st rounders...my take on your thought is that rather than going 100 percent (or close to it) he was just making a FU point to the other biggies about his sources. He also keeps his dealings with the various agents in flux....many would not reveal their "secrets" if they thought he was in bed equally with their competitors. Also, which is easier...a single central source or arranging for a complex networking on draft night with 20+ agents re their clients? Just an opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X