Game #28: Toronto Raptors 118 - New York Knicks 108

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    But you have to consider the all d no offence fields being inserted into the starting lineup. For what it's worth
    if fields somehow got us from something like #19 in the league up to #11, then by all means lets just keep that going then. we're clearly still scoring just fine.

we're still #2 in offense. we havent dropped off at all despite derozan gone.

Comment

• I blame our defensive woes on GV being a starter and not because DeMar wasn't. I'm a bit more pleased however there is still a lot of improvement that can be made. Knicks did score 108 points and they average about 94. The night before, Detroit scored 100 when they average about 94 as well.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
        if fields somehow got us from something like #19 in the league up to #11, then by all means lets just keep that going then. we're clearly still scoring just fine.

Well, that could be the case. What else has changed really? Other than the fact that they are pretty much in mid season form and that the defence is just tightening up?

It's not really anything Nothing to do with derozN being out/in. We still would've succumbed to the norm. (Top 10 defence) but it's easier to just say fields was the answer, because, hey, doode is a pretty good defender.
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Well overall we've climbed back to near top 10 in defense again (we're at 11th in the league now) without derozan for whatever that's worth.
          Yeah. All I've learned is in terms of defensive impact, moving Ross to the 2 makes a difference, and Fields > Derozan > Ross > GV.

It's good to know though the Raptors can rest Derozan earlier and play Ross at the two, and slow down big 3s with Fields and JJ. Or alternatively, play Ross less minutes (Derozan is still much better at drawing fouls and playmaking than Ross). It gives Casey tons of options.

And honestly, if the Raps can perform well with JJ or Fields at the 3 it kinds of makes Ross expendable ... trade bait, perhaps?
          Last edited by bryan colangelo; Mon Dec 22, 2014, 05:13 AM.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
            I think we all agree the downgrade in defense from DeRozan to GV is way bigger than we thought. And Terence Ross is actually horrible at defending his position.

In other words, a lot of people on the board were underrating DeRozan's defense. Even if he isn't a stopper at least he knows what he's supposed to be doing, and he's stronger and more reliable than Ross. When he comes back Derozan should probably be guarding 3's.
            The D was horrible 2.5 games prior to his injury and the first few games of his absence was a continuation.

Comment

• Did anyone see Greivis' post game interview? Kinda sounded like Casey's on their case about what they say to the media and how they approach each game.

He caught himself talking about the road trip and was like, oops, my mistake, tomorrow's game is all we're thinking about.
              "Bruno?
              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

and another leafs loss! love it.
                But at Chicago. Hope this is not a bad omen for Raptors at Chicago tonight.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                  Did anyone see Greivis' post game interview? Kinda sounded like Casey's on their case about what they say to the media and how they approach each game.

He caught himself talking about the road trip and was like, oops, my mistake, tomorrow's game is all we're thinking about.
                  Huge mistake to look past Bulls. DC is on point.

Comment

I think we all agree the downgrade in defense from DeRozan to GV is way bigger than we thought. And Terence Ross is actually horrible at defending his position.

In other words, a lot of people on the board were underrating DeRozan's defense. Even if he isn't a stopper at least he knows what he's supposed to be doing, and he's stronger and more reliable than Ross. When he comes back Derozan should probably be guarding 3's.
                    Absolutely. And when GV's shot isn't falling, then he's also a big negative on offense too. Really love his attitude, but he's definitely the weak link on many nights. Total momentum killer.

Getting Lou and JJ this year has really helped to mask Vasquez weaknesses on both sides of the floor when we play our normal second unit (e.g. PP, JJ, Lou, GV, TH).

Comment

• I have no idea why DC stuck with Hansbrough when both Aldridge and Wear were on the court. He couldn't defend or rebound against them. I thought Hayes or Stiemsma should've been used in his place. I hope DC isn't as stubborn against Chicago's large frontcourt.

Comment

Are there any stats to back this up? Don't think either are good defenders, but neither is Calderon bad either. GV is a worse fit with the starting unit though IMO.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Fields helped a lot. Something about GV losing his starting opportunity, plus Fields' impact, plus the team just realizing they had to quit playing shit defence all came together at the same time. This team was around #10 defensively last year and with internal growth, continuity, and James Johnson, they should be improving on that this year. Thankfully, it's starting to look like it was only a matter of time before the D came around (let's hope so).

I wonder if they didn't have a bit of too-much-success-entitlement. Defense is all effort and attention to detail, and they may have been thinking they were good enough to not put the effort and work in to the same degree they were last year. A stretch of awful defensive games + the Fields change may have been enough of a wake-up call.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Where are you getting this from?

Comment

Working...
                            X