No announcement yet.

What is our style of play or identity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is our style of play or identity?

Casey was interviewed prior to the clipper game and mentioned that the team did not have an identity or at least one that he believed would win in the playoffs (defensive) Are we winning on talent alone? Last year we had a easy schedule coming into the playoffs and lost our defensive toughness even though we were winning. It cost us against the nets.

i assume you've been watching the games. what are you seeing??

Comment

we've got a deep team of guys who can all contribute and we get them the ball where theyre comfortable and when theyre comfortable
      "Bruno?
      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
        i assume you've been watching the games. what are you seeing??
        I believe we are winning on offensive toughness with stretches of defense both our additions have added to the talent level of the team on both sides of the ball. Jonas has been showing growth as of late and our team forces turnovers and plays the the passing lanes well. We have endured some losses from Chicago and Clevland but it is my believe that no team takes us for granted,

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
          I believe we are winning on offensive toughness with stretches of defense both our additions have added to the talent level of the team on both sides of the ball. Jonas has been showing growth as of late and our team forces turnovers and plays the the passing lanes well. We have endured some losses from Chicago and Clevland but it is my believe that no team takes us for granted,
          42 minutes of endless mid-tier talent and then grind them down by running out the clock every possesion with 8 minutes left.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
            42 minutes of endless mid-tier talent and then grind them down by running out the clock every possesion with 8 minutes left.
            Not sure I can agree with endless mid tier talent solely. Endless above average talent with young upside, orchestrated by a break out star with a beautiful sense for the game. Lowry runs the team, putting the ball where and when it needs to be.

Comment

rightsideup wrote: View Post
              that sounds about right to me!

identity-wise, i think they're a team still fighting to "prove em". despite being in the top of the east for months, raps still get no real love and the team is fine with that. they want to stay out of headlines and keep humble. all of the players like each other and they have a great locker room. the bench is at least top 5 in the league which has helped us immensely.

play style-wise, im sure casey would love to pick it up defensively. we've gone up and down from top 10 to near bottom 20 and now we're hovering around average in defense. offensively we seem to be all over the place. it seems more dependent on random players going off rather than smart play but oh well, its been working pretty good so far.

Comment

Raps lost a step on defense but took a leap on offense. Slow starts on defense are bad, but the Raps have been able to turn it up on D when they had too. And they allow over 90+ points because by the 5 min mark, the game's already been decided and it's already garbage time.

This team reminds me of the Flip Saunders-coached Pistons, who aren't as locked down as they were during the Larry Brown years but are more fluid offensively, with Billups and company having a longer leash. They were perennial East contenders having lost only to Miami, Cleveland and Boston - 2 of the 3 won the championship.

However, rebounding imo has been the major problem of this team this season.

Comment

I'm sure I'll take some flack for this, but offensively, I've really enjoyed the much more team-oriented approach with active engagement of the full 5-man lineup in DeRozan's absence. It's been great to see other guys stepping up - JV, Ross, Patterson, Lou, JJ and even Fields before his injury.

Defensively they can be fantastic, but I just wish their commitment/focus could be more consistent throughout the entire 48 minutes of a game. They can turn it on when needed, but their early intensity needs to be there to really get that championship mentality (aka: come out strong and step on their throats).

Comment

A nightmare team to guard. Can run out multiple lineups with 3 players who can score with the ball in hand. One of the very best guard rotations in the league. Runs an extremely effective offense designed to minimize turnovers at the expense of assists, which runs counter to current trends. This offensive mindset matches the skill set of the teams best player in Kyle Lowry. Sets call for simple passes and screens to open driving lanes. Spot ups are typically afterthoughts. Team Has offensive release valves galore with big man finishers in Amir and JV, stretch shooting from Patterson and Ross, and a handful of ISO options who make tough shots from anywhere on the court at an efficient rate. No emphasis on offensive rebounding.
                    Defensively aggressive, though not the team's area of strength. Creates turnovers through steals and taking fouls at a good rate. Heavily relies on help from the 3 and 4 spots but the team can struggle at times to execute the movements the scheme requires. Lacks a dominant defender at any position and has no real rim protector. Defends relatively well at the rim due to swarming D despite lack of shot blocking. When the Defense falls apart it's usually from lack of focus leading to open looks from distance. Can struggle against elite bigs, quickness and interior passing. Shows occasional glimpses of a top 5 Defense when everything clocks. This tends to happen when the game is on the line. Rebounds poorly.
                    @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Comment

Raptors chuck, feed the guy who is hot or Lowry goes hero then run out the fourth quarter by dribbling out the clock

Comment

you don't necessarily think so by watching them play, but i think it's getting to the point where we have to start really accepting that the offence is actually fairly high-quality. sample size keeps growing.

Defensively we have issues with guards allowing too much penetration paired with bigs that sometimes struggle with knowing whether to help or not (JV), and rebounding has been dropping off (Amir)

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                          you don't necessarily think so by watching them play, but i think it's getting to the point where we have to start really accepting that the offence is actually fairly high-quality. sample size keeps growing.

Defensively we have issues with guards allowing too much penetration paired with bigs that sometimes struggle with knowing whether to help or not (JV), and rebounding has been dropping off (Amir)
                          The offense continues to hum along at 2nd best in the league even after several weeks without the team's leading scorer. It's really, really good. What some fans are seeing as a lack of definition is actually the presence of depth and talent - Ujiri has worked wonders in filling out the roster.

The defense just needs to be more consistent. It's there for a few minutes, for key moments, or for entire quarters, but never for a full 48. I'd be fine with the on/off switch if they could find it more consistently, but sometimes they can't turn it on at all. That said, the last couple weeks have been much better than early December/late November.

The team reminds me of a heady vet team, even though it's young. They do the things smart teams do - low turnovers, draw fouls and get to the line, good offensive rebounding, and just seem to have a sense for big moments and big plays (21-2 - or whatever it is now - with a lead going into the fourth quarter, they know how to close out games in a way that no other Raptors team has, ever, ever ever). Denver's announcers pointed out that at the end of the game the Raps just get to take more shots than you.

It's weird that they're 7th in O rebounding and 28th in D rebounding. Aside from the low rank, though, it doesn't seem like the D rebounding hurts them too much.

They're going to have to struggle with their identity a bit when DeRozan comes back. They're settling into a nice groove here with Lowry as the alpha dog and a variety of hot hands helping out with the scoring.
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

This is somewhat of a weird team, and I'm not sure what to make of it. The offense has been incredible so far, and I doubt anyone could have predicted they would be near the top. The fact that we are so difficult to shut down is what is winning us games. We don't get alot of assists but it seems we make the right pass at the right time. Riding the hot hand seems to be the theme being thrown out there lately. Going into the season, I would have expected a top 5 defence and league average offence, not the opposite. So we have struggled a little defensively, but the bright side is that clearly the team can be better on that side of the ball. Right now, the offence is clicking so well that the team isn't prioritizing defence and making up for giving up points with a relentless attack and desire to get to the line. Hopefully as the season continues the team makes improvements defensively, as I believe we will need to be better on that side of the ball to be successful in the playoffs.

Rebounding is an issue, but it doesn't appear to be detrimental. nonetheless, I think JV has been doing a damn fine job of late. I've been very impressed with his play, and I think his defence is under rated right now. He's not a true rim protector, as he doesn't deter opponents from driving into the lane, but his use of the vertacality thing is forcing alot of misses inside. I'm gaining more confidence in the way the coaching staff and team in general have been handling his development. Next season, Lowry, Demar, and JV will be considered a legitimate Big 3, if not already. But it's gonna be interesting to see how Demar gets re-integrated back into team. Hopefully, he sees this as a chance to maybe reduce his usage a little and hopefully improve his efficiency. No reason his stats should suffer in that scenario, and the team should be even better.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X