Game #32: Toronto Raptors 97 - Portland Trailblazers 102

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    And how many times has he been called for a foul on that really harmless hand wave? It's not the type of thing you usually see a tech called, with anyone.
    Not all refs are the same. Some might think JV is trying to show him up.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      I kind like that our coach doesn't get techs. It shows a lot of class. With over emotional players like Lowry, DD, and JV. Its good to have a coach with a cool head. I personally believe nothing good comes from getting a tech. Yes, it motivates at times but, Casey doesn't need help when it comes to that.
      Overall I agree

But there is a time and place for everything. I think thibs is master of intentional, game altering techs. Pop is either tied or a close second

Comment

• Can't win em all. At least in the post game with Lillard, he gave us our props and included us in the same discussion as GSW, Memphis, and Houston

Comment

I kind like that our coach doesn't get techs. It shows a lot of class. With over emotional players like Lowry, DD, and JV. Its good to have a coach with a cool head. I personally believe nothing good comes from getting a tech. Yes, it motivates at times but, Casey doesn't need help when it comes to that.
          I don't think you're right at all. It also doesn't have a lot to do with motivating, it has to do with having your players backs, and taking the tech so they don't have to. Players are way more important than coaches to winning a game, and many good coaches take techs, even sometimes really early in a game (like on the first bad call). It's actually even worse if your players are emotional, because then they're at higher risk to get frustrated and earn one.

This was being discussed in another thread, I think even a game thread, just a few games ago. In the OKC-GSW game that was on TNT a bit ago, they showed a graph of top 5 coaches taking techs...Here are the posts by me and Scraptor

Scraptor wrote: View Post
          I saw a graphic on this the other night, and the leaders in techs by coaches were basically the top coaches in the league. I think it was Kerr, Pop, Thibs, and Vogel IIRC.

Would be worth it for DC to break a clipboard now and again.
          white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Yep...It was last week in the GSW-OKC game. I saw the same graphic. I think the 5th guy on the graphic was Doc....
          Might've been wrong on one or two of those coaches if our memories failed us (I think Spoelstra might have been on the list, and not 100% sure on Doc)....but those are quality coaches, and I don't think their techs hurt their teams or their "classiness".

And random thought, but Jerry Sloan would frequently get techs, and he's probably one of the top coaches of all time.

Comment

• jonnywalker wrote: View Post
            Can't win em all. At least in the post game with Lillard, he gave us our props and included us in the same discussion as GSW, Memphis, and Houston
            it was a good game as I watched I did get frustrated at some of the calls but Portland did display offensive toughness towards the end. Lillard almost has limitless range and is crafty as to when he is looking for his shot. Kyle did miss some shots like the three pointer towards the end of regulation that he normally makes. I would put Chicago in that group of good teams but they seem to play down to level of weaker opponents which results in either losses or close calls. Altanta still seems to get no respect for a team that plays team ball.

Comment

• That's their persona. If its not in Casey's personality I don't think he should force it.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Rarely criticize Casey, but this is one time I think it's totally valid. When Val got mugged the other day in Denver, I thought he should have blown a gasket. He didn't and a short time later Val got the flagrant.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

That's their persona. If its not in Casey's personality I don't think he should force it.
                  hahahaha

So it's Steve Kerr's persona to argue and get a tech called? Yeah, he was really known as a hot head as a player and broadcaster.

It may not be in his personality, but it is a very valuable tool when used properly.

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  Rarely criticize Casey, but this is one time I think it's totally valid. When Val got mugged the other day in Denver, I thought he should have blown a gasket. He didn't and a short time later Val got the flagrant.
                  And this is the rationale behind it. Sometimes you just have to do it so that your player doesn't feel like they're standing alone getting fucked by the refs, because that's when they will tend to lose their cool. Way better if it's the coach than a player.

Comment

• Sometimes I really want Casey to just explode; never happens. I think I only recall him getting T'd up once last season

Comment

• But Casey clearly does argue calls, and does get livid at the refs. He just always stops before it gets to the point where the ref is going to give him a tech. I don't believe the players truly believe Casey doesn't support them against the refs when the calls don't go their way. And I don't think going far enough to take the tech really pays that much more dividends then just getting very angry and making your point clearly. Refs do react to the anger, but I don't think whether they actually call the tech or not makes much of a difference.

I would rather not give away the free points, but that's just me.
                      That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        hahahaha

So it's Steve Kerr's persona to argue and get a tech called? Yeah, he was really known as a hot head as a player and broadcaster.

It may not be in his personality, but it is a very valuable tool when used properly.

And this is the rationale behind it. Sometimes you just have to do it so that your player doesn't feel like they're standing alone getting fucked by the refs, because that's when they will tend to lose their cool. Way better if it's the coach than a player.
                        That's the thing the players already know Casey has their back. If they didn't know that I can't believe they would play as hard as they do for him.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                          But Casey clearly does argue calls, and does get livid at the refs. He just always stops before it gets to the point where the ref is going to give him a tech. I don't believe the players truly believe Casey doesn't support them against the refs when the calls don't go their way. And I don't think going far enough to take the tech really pays that much more dividends then just getting very angry and making your point clearly. Refs do react to the anger, but I don't think whether they actually call the tech or not makes much of a difference.

I agree with you totally.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

That's the thing the players already know Casey has their back. If they didn't know that I can't believe they would play as hard as they do for him.
                            You're distorting the issue though.

What you're talking about isn't "having their back", it's just general trust between players and coaches. They like Casey and they want to play hard for him. In fact I'm not sure exactly what part of any of that has to do with "having their back". Your talking about trust and motivation....

That's different from the kind of "having their back" I'm talking about, where the coach understands when arguing with the refs and taking a technical can protect his players from themselves and poor officiating. Again, this is about protection, making sure your players don't get themselves into trouble, and trying to impact the refs that are making it hard for the players to keep their cool.

Comment

• Other Scott wrote: View Post
                              But Casey clearly does argue calls, and does get livid at the refs. He just always stops before it gets to the point where the ref is going to give him a tech. I don't believe the players truly believe Casey doesn't support them against the refs when the calls don't go their way. And I don't think going far enough to take the tech really pays that much more dividends then just getting very angry and making your point clearly. Refs do react to the anger, but I don't think whether they actually call the tech or not makes much of a difference.

Give away free points? Well a tech is one free throw, and maybe possession (depending on moment of the tech, it doesn't necessarily result in possession). For example, in the Denver game, Jonas lost his cool and threw an elbow. That's 2 shots and possession. So how was the outcome better than Casey simply getting the tech himself earlier? They gave up more points, and one of their best players was basically taken out of the game mentally because of his frustration.

Then there's the aspect of actually influencing the officiating. You may give up a free throw and possible possession...but if it sways 5-10 calls throughout the course of the game to not be terrible calls against you, you more than make up the difference. Think how Thibs took an early tech last week when we played CHI, and they got a great whistle all game including 22 fts in the 4th quarter (with at least a few of those on very questionable calls).

So a tech can actually be beneficial if you're talking about giving away points. It can get you more than you give away. That's why it's an important tool, and coach has got to know when it's worth stepping over the line and getting that tech.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
                                wtf are you talking about? i'm clearly replying to another completely biased pro-demar commenter subtly adding a "if demar had played we would have won" post, which is pretty much going to happen to any loss we play without demar (which so far, have been few and far between, in terms of losses).

yah i get that your own bias allows for demar remarks to be allowed as long as its in a good light, but get real.
                                Stop making things up!

I said we really missed Demar due to the ridiculously low free throw attempts...

Instead of taking one thing I wrote and jumping on it, maybe you should read.

Truthfully, you are super biased against Demar (it's no secret and you've admitted it many times).

Many posters have their biases BUT you're bordering on irrational and it's pretty obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X